Sevendust111

Good lures for the Bayshore?

Rate this topic

110 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

My 7yo son and I will be hitting the Bayshore hard this spring and early summer. I am going to be as general as possible and say that we fish the South Amboy to Keansburg stretch. I can’t wade out with my son, so, if your familiar with the area, you know that even at hide tide your only fishing in 2-4 feet of water most of the time.  A lot of this is about getting my son into fishing the bay so I’m looking for quantity over quality fish. We did ok last year (started late in the season, first year salt fishing), but I want to do better and get serious with him this year.  I know clams are best seconded by bloodworms in this area, but I want to use artificals as well.

My set up:

Tica Surge 8 foot MH mod-fast action 1/2-2oz lure

Penn Fierce 3 4000

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Sevendust111

This is my backyard for over 55 yrs. your right, clams or sandworms are the number one bait. But, because the bayshore is shallow mudflats, about 4 feet deep in casting range from the beach you need floating or shallow diving plugs otherwise you will be bottoming out or snagging on old tires. Early in the season it’s fairly easy to catch  lethargic  Bass on bait, but if you want to catch on plugs, you need to fish the plugs slow, if you think your retrieving too slow, go slower. The bass are not going to  exert a lot of energy early in the season chaseing plugs but, . Magdarters, floating sp, even swimming a floating little neck popper works ( not popping it ) A slow sinking glider is a killer. (RG) builds one. Joe Baggs makes a plug that has a magdarter front and a sp body. Think outside the box, a simple teaser on a 3-4-5 ft leader behind a casting egg just twitched along is a easy meal for a lazy bass early in the season.  Watch the water temps in the bay, if you can get a steady water temp  even 44 for a few days in a row in shallow water you will catch. If it’s  bounceing up and down a few degrees in one day, it will shut them down.   The water on those flats will warm in a sunny late afternoon high tide, those few hrs of the outgoing are prime. Remember, the bayshore is shallow, most times you have two hrs after high tide before you run out of water, unless your wading out with the tide. Make that outgoing tide count. There are bunker now in the bay, but the bass are not going to chase bunker, there not looking for bunker chunks early. Like I said, clams or worms are #1 but if you want to catch on plugs , fish them  Slowwwwwwww!!!!!! And give that casting egg with a teaser a chance. Tight lines. 

7 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

My 7yo son and I will be hitting the Bayshore hard this spring and early summer. I am going to be as general as possible and say that we fish the South Amboy to Keansburg stretch. I can’t wade out with my son, so, if your familiar with the area, you know that even at hide tide your only fishing in 2-4 feet of water most of the time.  A lot of this is about getting my son into fishing the bay so I’m looking for quantity over quality fish. We did ok last year (started late in the season, first year salt fishing), but I want to do better and get serious with him this year.  I know clams are best seconded by bloodworms in this area, but I want to use artificals as well.

My set up:

Tica Surge 8 foot MH mod-fast action 1/2-2oz lure

Penn Fierce 3 4000

Any help would be much appreciated.

Forgot to mention, 99% will be fishing bait, it might be hard to move around when your shoulder to shoulder dead sticking, but that one guy that’s plugging will be me, say hi.

Many locations in the bayshore offer flat gradual grades. Often times you have to be in it to win it. You know your kid, if possible start him off in ankle to knee deep water just to get him comfortable in the water. And if possible a pfd.

YoZuire Hydro minnows & Mag Darters, Mambo Minnows & Diawa SP Minnows are plugs you can get pretty much anywhere.  If you hit a flea market, Berkeley Striper Club has there's this weekend, there will be vendors there selling those plugs a few $$$ off retail.   

13 hours ago, bayyaker54 said:

Forgot to mention, 99% will be fishing bait, it might be hard to move around when your shoulder to shoulder dead sticking, but that one guy that’s plugging will be me, say hi.

Make that 2 guys :wave:

14 hours ago, bayyaker54 said:

This is my backyard for over 55 yrs. your right, clams or sandworms are the number one bait. But, because the bayshore is shallow mudflats, about 4 feet deep in casting range from the beach you need floating or shallow diving plugs otherwise you will be bottoming out or snagging on old tires. Early in the season it’s fairly easy to catch  lethargic  Bass on bait, but if you want to catch on plugs, you need to fish the plugs slow, if you think your retrieving too slow, go slower. The bass are not going to  exert a lot of energy early in the season chaseing plugs but, . Magdarters, floating sp, even swimming a floating little neck popper works ( not popping it ) A slow sinking glider is a killer. (RG) builds one. Joe Baggs makes a plug that has a magdarter front and a sp body. Think outside the box, a simple teaser on a 3-4-5 ft leader behind a casting egg just twitched along is a easy meal for a lazy bass early in the season.  Watch the water temps in the bay, if you can get a steady water temp  even 44 for a few days in a row in shallow water you will catch. If it’s  bounceing up and down a few degrees in one day, it will shut them down.   The water on those flats will warm in a sunny late afternoon high tide, those few hrs of the outgoing are prime. Remember, the bayshore is shallow, most times you have two hrs after high tide before you run out of water, unless your wading out with the tide. Make that outgoing tide count. There are bunker now in the bay, but the bass are not going to chase bunker, there not looking for bunker chunks early. Like I said, clams or worms are #1 but if you want to catch on plugs , fish them  Slowwwwwwww!!!!!! And give that casting egg with a teaser a chance. Tight lines. 

All great info. Don't forget soft plastic swimmers and bucktails too.

Edited by chitala383

15 hours ago, bayyaker54 said:

Thanks for the help. If you see a guy with a big beard and a 7 year old in tow, that’s me. I have been researching and scouting this area to death. We can get up to about Cliffwood on a school day, any further has to wait to the weekend. Also, we are looking to catch blues eventually too. Yea, I was using Storms Shads and Deadly Dicks, but had to abandon them in most spots because I would either get snagged or drag the bottom unless I reel in fast. I have a 10’ MH Penn Prevail with a Battle 2 5000 for chucking clams and worms, but it can get boring.

I have a few questions…

1. I am definitely gonna pick up a couple of mag darters, any size or color that’s best?

2. I missed the early season last year, does it really get that packed?  Might be a problem with my son as he can be shy.

Edited by Sevendust111

1 hour ago, fishless said:

YoZuire Hydro minnows & Mag Darters, Mambo Minnows & Diawa SP Minnows are plugs you can get pretty much anywhere.  If you hit a flea market, Berkeley Striper Club has there's this weekend, there will be vendors there selling those plugs a few $$$ off retail.   

I have a fews hydros and sps. Any suggestions on size/color? I have bone and burple so far. 

2 hours ago, Sheisty said:

Many locations in the bayshore offer flat gradual grades. Often times you have to be in it to win it. You know your kid, if possible start him off in ankle to knee deep water just to get him comfortable in the water. And if possible a pfd.

It’s not the wading out that’s the problem, its him dunking the reels haha. Also a little hesitant to wade out there with all the lead and debris.

1 hour ago, chitala383 said:

Make that 2 guys :wave:

All great info. Don't forget soft plastic swimmers and bucktails too.

I have some bucktails and swimmers but they get snagged a lot and tend to scrape the bottom.

Edited by Sevendust111

12 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

I have a fews hydros and sps. Any suggestions on size/color? I have bone and burple so far. 

Those are good colors.  You should do fine with them. 

21 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

It’s not the wading out that’s the problem, its him dunking the reels haha. Also a little hesitant to wade out there with all the lead and debris.

:laugh: understood.

1 hour ago, Sevendust111 said:

So concentrate on brief outings, 2 hrs at a time is probably more than enough to keep a youngins attention.  Focus on the end of the in and start of the out, highest water when you can stand back on the banks and throw the plugs mentioned above. 

1 hour ago, Sevendust111 said:

Thanks for the help. If you see a guy with a big beard and a 7 year old in tow, that’s me. I have been researching and scouting this area to death. We can get up to about Cliffwood on a school day, any further has to wait to the weekend. Also, we are looking to catch blues eventually too. Yea, I was using Storms Shads and Deadly Dicks, but had to abandon them in most spots because I would either get snagged or drag the bottom unless I reel in fast. I have a 10’ MH Penn Prevail with a Battle 2 5000 for chucking clams and worms, but it can get boring.

I have a few questions…

1. I am definitely gonna pick up a couple of mag darters, any size or color that’s best?

2. I missed the early season last year, does it really get that packed?  Might be a problem with my son as he can be shy.

The 4” and 5” magdarter In Bone , red/white, bronze and yellow are good. The wknds get crowded on the beach.