bob_G

Legalized marijuana a year later

Rate this topic

1,156 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Dave588 said:

Tobacco gets cured wrapped in a bale to 140* to reduce arsenic. 

Marijuana gets branch clipped, dried hanging to about 60 % humidity. Dried until branches snap instead of bending. Then cured in a sealed container, burped every day for first two weeks to reduce mold. 

How would sealing in a vacuum foodsaver bag work? You couldnt burp it but vacuum should eliminate mold concerns?

Some of the stuff I buy comes in a vacuum sealed package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trichome head color, but it depends who you ask. In general, I like to see some clear, mostly cloudy, very few amber. Looks like yours is close, if it isn't rotting anywhere I'd let it go to first frost, it will just keeping packing on weight and making trichomes if the weather good. A friend had to pull last weekend due to rot. Looks like it will be really nice regardless of when you pick it from now on though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PaulS said:

How do you tell the ideal time to harvest your product?

PXL_20211012_193227136.MP.jpg

Given your photo: For outdoors, anytime from now on would be fine. We're in an unusually warm and dry fall weather pattern atm, so at least take advantage of the next 3-5 days and probably let it ride a bit longer. 

 

I tend to favor outdoor plants picked in good health in good weather, vs pushing the same plant a week more through lousy weather.

But Different strokes..

 

As nateD said though, if the glands are amber you've waited way too long. 

 

Cloudy(as they are are now), on top of swollen and flushed out buds is ideal.

 

If this was back in the 90s.. when a spotted/ID'd outdoor crop meant either total loss from theft or a quick ticket to prison, most guys would absolutely pull that plant this week. No question. And be thrilled the weather cooperated to get a hybrid like that into the finish zone in mid Oct. 

 

Nowadays, you can fiddle around and push it an extra week if you wish, with no real risk other than rotting out your buds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rst3 said:

Given your photo: For outdoors, anytime from now on would be fine. We're in an unusually warm and dry fall weather pattern atm, so at least take advantage of the next 3-5 days and probably let it ride a bit longer. 

 

I tend to favor outdoor plants picked in good health in good weather, vs pushing the same plant a week more through lousy weather.

But Different strokes..

 

As nateD said though, if the glands are amber you've waited way too long. 

 

Cloudy(as they are are now), on top of swollen and flushed out buds is ideal.

 

If this was back in the 90s.. when a spotted/ID'd outdoor crop meant either total loss from theft or a quick ticket to prison, most guys would absolutely pull that plant this week. No question. And be thrilled the weather cooperated to get a hybrid like that into the finish zone in mid Oct. 

 

Nowadays, you can fiddle around and push it an extra week if you wish, with no real risk other than rotting out your buds. 

Can they withstand a light frost and come out undamaged?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, richie c said:

Can they withstand a light frost and come out undamaged?

Yes. 

Many strains can even take a hard freeze.. with temps dipping down to 28, even 27. 

Light frosts aren't a problem. 

 

It's a nice property because the first cold nights are almost always followed by a rebound warmup. And you might not get back down to freezing for another week or more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, richie c said:

Can they withstand a light frost and come out undamaged?

Just a follow-up to add a little more information. It's a lot of work to get plants to this point. Might as well have some more info to help decision making

 

Nobody wants to wake up to their crop looking like this:

Sativa axed by cold.

You know immediately when they reach their limit because the leaves go into full wilt

FrostbiteDanSkyeWeb.jpg.e4074c4ce4b83a0ea8ce203391f26133.jpg

 

l think the general consensus is that indica dominant strains weather cold snaps the best. Landrace sativas? ..probably not the best choice to push through frost.


Here's what I've personally experienced. 

Me: I left digi thermometers out in hinterland grows and recorded temps down to 30. No problems with indica dominant strain. That said, one variety smoked much better picked on 10/8 and 10/15, vs the post-lousy and cold weather plants picked on 10/21.

 

As a yout(h)... I had a small crop of Durban hybrids out in pots when an early hard freeze (back when we had hard Sept frosts... ).covered the plants in heavy ice crystals. I clipped most of the buds that afternoon before the frost, but returned to the woods overnight to haul the pots + live clipped-down plants back to my growroom to regenerate, to preserve the genetics. They were fine. I estimate exposure to temps 29/30. 

 

Grower Consensus

Most growers seem to report their plants can take several light to moderate frosts without collapse. 

 

A few growers report resilience to more extreme cold. Down into the mid 20s. That seems a little risky to me. 

 

But in general: light frosts don't seem to be an issue. One or two moderate, but "hard" frosts are probably survivable for most plants. Severe cold below 28/29, down into the mid 20s? Ehhh.. now that seems risky. 

 

Snow? Pfft. Nbd.

Flowering plant below remains turgid and fine covered in early wet snow, with temps in this photo likely around the 32° mark. 

foto-3-1.jpg.a65a6c437311de7945cfab3fabf81ddf.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are you guys using for growing mediums?

In talking with a lot of my friends who grow, they all use exotic custom made bagged soil I never heard of. I was up my buddy's house the other day, and he was raving about this new medium he began using. I made a note if it, and thought I'd ask here.

It was called Pro Mix HP.  He said it was a mixture of Canadian peat moss, a large amount of Perlite and Coco coir (whatever that is?). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Coco Coir in my raised garden beds. It’s readily available at most garden shops. It’s a fiber from coconut husks and helps soil retain moisture. 
 

All my friends that grow the devil’s lettuce use Pro Mix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bob_G said:

What are you guys using for growing mediums?

In talking with a lot of my friends who grow, they all use exotic custom made bagged soil I never heard of. I was up my buddy's house the other day, and he was raving about this new medium he began using. I made a note if it, and thought I'd ask here.

It was called Pro Mix HP.  He said it was a mixture of Canadian peat moss, a large amount of Perlite and Coco coir (whatever that is?). 

Never heard of an exotic custom made bagged soil but Pro mix is canadian, it is literally just those products you listed mixed up, nothing special. So it is good for hydro people or soil growers who mix in compost/worm castings/nutrients/minerals etc. I buy all the stuff individually and mix, or if I'm lazy one of the coast of maine bags for seedlings and vegging plants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure all Promix products are laced with mycorrhizae as well Bob. Beneficial symbiotic fungus. I've seen sm bricks of it occasionally for sale at the Depot. Most specialty gardening stores carry it in bulk. 

 

I've used it as a base then add worm castings etc. Works well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Fox Farm soil and nutrients, its carried at my local Ace Hardware.  I usually add a bit more vermiculite and Perlite to the mix to lighten it up, and start adding nutrients a few weeks after sprouting.

 

So many resources and opinions out there its like Ford vs Chevy...    Grab a seed or two and give it a go, its like tomatoes in the garden, everyone does things a little differently, but basically the same.   After a grow or two your style will evolve based on what you've learned and what works in your situation.

 

I do think Indoor is far easier as you can control your growing enviroment and all you need is a simple tent, a decent light and timer and some fans for a single plant.  The lights also work great for starting seedlings in the spring..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.