bob_G

Legalized marijuana a year later

Rate this topic

627 posts in this topic

34 mins ago, Kones1 said:

Pest control is best done as a preventative form of maintenance. Nematodes are the choice of medical growers and really do work. The sea of green method of cultivation is super susceptible to infestation of all kinds from thrips and spider mites, fungus gnats and the worst by far the cannabis mite. The latter can’t be seen with the eye and shows up like a deficiency of some kind until you figure it out. The scourge of grow room by far. This is relevant to soil growing as pro mix and the like are all susceptible to bugs   Never use chemicals 

https://www.naturesgoodguys.com/

Just curious as to what you guys do to process the bud into a smokable form? I usually run it through a spice grinder to grind everything up into the consistency of a dried herb, then put it away in a container to dry for a while. Yesterday I was processing an ounce that had a lot of moisture in it, so I stuck the ground up stuff onto a piece of foil, spread it out and put it in the over at 200 degrees for 20 minutes. That dried it out nicely.

3 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Just curious as to what you guys do to process the bud into a smokable form? I usually run it through a spice grinder to grind everything up into the consistency of a dried herb, then put it away in a container to dry for a while. Yesterday I was processing an ounce that had a lot of moisture in it, so I stuck the ground up stuff onto a piece of foil, spread it out and put it in the over at 200 degrees for 20 minutes. That dried it out nicely.

are you talking about after the plant is done flowering and you pick the plant?If yes you are doing everything horribly wrong.

29 mins ago, hotfishgirl said:

are you talking about after the plant is done flowering and you pick the plant?If yes you are doing everything horribly wrong.

O.K. School me. I've been doing it that way for about 50 years! :p

What I do is when the flowers are mature I clip off branches and manicure the buds until all leaf material is gone.( saving the resinous “sugar leaves” and stick them in the freezer for bubble hash later)

Once branches are trimmed down I hang them from wire coat hangers and hang them in a dark, well ventilated place until the flowers are mostly dry but still a little give to them. I then cut the buds off the stems and “cure” them in an airtight container of some kind. I spend about a week or two “burping” the container to let out moisture and change the air. After that it’s ready to go into jars and consume responsibly.

Im not sure the science of it but that process makes the buds dry but sticky rather than crumbly and develops the terpenes so the flavor and aroma are all they can be.

I wouldn’t dream of breaking up a bud until it’s time to burn it.

Also, drying it in the oven burns off the terpenes and vaporizes a lot of the cannabinoids that are very desirable in the smoking experience. That’s a technique used when you’re going to be cooking with it called “decarboxylating”... only for cooking or some tinctures. Never use heat to dry your product. 

It takes patience to dry weed properly but is the difference between good **** and crappy ****. Very worth the effort.

24 mins ago, MakoMike said:

O.K. School me. I've been doing it that way for about 50 years! :p

Not wrong but different.

norm.

you hang upside down whole plant or branches. About a week in the right humidity of a dark closet go see if the stems are snapping. Humidity will dictate that week +/-.

Now it’s curing time. I use packets that keep the humidity of the glass jar or food safe bucket at the perfect level. 2 weeks is about the time. You can sneak some out about a week in but the curing give a cleaner finish.

properly cured you should have a product that taste and burns smoother. The cough isn’t from a good hit. It’s from plants not handled correctly and harsh chemicals burning your throat.

On 5/25/2020 at 5:51 PM, Vaporizor said:

He is in windham, me

I usually shop in Portland...looks like I'm going a bit more north next trip.  :th:

16 hours ago, emptyhook said:

Not wrong but different.

norm.

you hang upside down whole plant or branches. About a week in the right humidity of a dark closet go see if the stems are snapping. Humidity will dictate that week +/-.

Now it’s curing time. I use packets that keep the humidity of the glass jar or food safe bucket at the perfect level. 2 weeks is about the time. You can sneak some out about a week in but the curing give a cleaner finish.

properly cured you should have a product that taste and burns smoother. The cough isn’t from a good hit. It’s from plants not handled correctly and harsh chemicals burning your throat.

That’s great if you are growing your own. I was describing what I do when I buy bud that someone else has grown and I have no idea of how it was handled.

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

That’s great if you are growing your own. I was describing what I do when I buy bud that someone else has grown and I have no idea of how it was handled.

About all you can do. I would complain cause when that dries out you’ll lose weight.

Happens so much right now, supply and demand is more than the growers. So growers a speeding the the process putting out an unfinished product. All depends how much you consume I guess.

Yeah, this last ounce has more moisture than usual, hence I dried it out a little, otherwise it just stuck together and was very difficult to roll. I did complain, we'll see how much good it does.

I recently had the pleasure of being invited to see this grow room. 

Its legal as there are only twelve plants but final harvest will exceed the dry weight limit by a tiny bit (lol).

Using coco fiber as the medium and every plant gets a lamp. Electric bill is around 1200$ a month. 

Im not sure regulators were picturing this when allowing twelve plants per household :laugh:

Room was so full it was hard to get a good pic.

5C93254B-8815-483E-9C48-BC224F2EECFF.jpeg

7035E727-A7A4-4D33-8F9C-477CC7141B24.jpeg

E0435712-45EE-4265-93F7-B8FEA3EC7FA6.jpeg

88D8466C-E062-4AD4-A6C6-CFC6A7EE56DC.jpeg

9EAD6EDC-8405-47EC-8D43-020B4F9F6341.jpeg

On 5/25/2020 at 5:51 PM, Vaporizor said:

So how's an out of stater go about obtaining some of that Tropic Truffle :bigeyes:

So....$1200 per month to grow it? Unless they are independently wealthy or own their own power plant, they would more than likely be selling their stuff to help pay for the growing costs.

I mean, who is going to shell out that much money for a product with limited uses and strictly controlled market?