jimbass

general question
Could the corona virus affect fishing?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I want to throw this out there. Since most of my fishing equipment is now made in China,could this virus hurt the industry? If it is not contained. except for a few Made in USA Penn reels and made in USA Ardent reels and 3 st Croix premier rods almost all my lures,hooks, ect are made in China.My made in USA penn and Ardent reels are at least 10 years old and Parts availability are sketchy.I also have 3 shimano reels that are not made in China,but, my other rods are. I know there are more important things than fishing but if the Trump administration decides to quarantine shipping from China, could this put a dent into our sport

Posted (edited) · Report post

Effect fishing?  No!!  Effect tackle supplies, yes, probably later in the season so stock up now...  Most larger B&T stores and distributors have already purchased the bulk of their seasons' supplies.  

BTW, THANKS!!  My favorite lure comes out of China so I even though I've got some inventory, I just ordered another dozen after consideration of your post...

Edited by Roccus7

19 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

If you contract it......it will affect your fishing.

If you contract it I can fish in your spot... If CCC fishermen contract it many cows will survive to spawn another year...

The Corona virus runs rampant in Raritan Bay and many parts of the metro NY area. Everywhere you go, Corona cans, bottles, and trash. It can easily be stopped and quarantined, but people don't respect the environment. Who knows if we'll ever find a cure...

On a more serious note, it will probably effect supplies. I work at a tackle shop part time aside from my M-F grind, and can tell you I'm not looking forward to unpacking lures/tackle "Made in China" as the season progresses...

Don't stay in any hotels while at your destination......

Read today there are 1000 quarantined with police preventing people coming or going.

Party boats are gonna be super popular we get it in our area.

11 hours ago, jimbass said:

I want to throw this out there. Since most of my fishing equipment is now made in China,could this virus hurt the industry? If it is not contained. except for a few Made in USA Penn reels and made in USA Ardent reels and 3 st Croix premier rods almost all my lures,hooks, ect are made in China.My made in USA penn and Ardent reels are at least 10 years old and Parts availability are sketchy.I also have 3 shimano reels that are not made in China,but, my other rods are. I know there are more important things than fishing but if the Trump administration decides to quarantine shipping from China, could this put a dent into our sport

Yes, it does and will continue to effect our fishing. I do not have access the ocean right from my back yard, I have to fly to the fishing destinations…. Secondly, 85% of the fishing gear comes from China. 

I will not fly for a while….

I will not buy for a while….

4 hours ago, levari said:

If you contract it I can fish in your spot... If CCC fishermen contract it many cows will survive to spawn another year...

Only if it hits NJ and NY hard first.

Here's the important question.  I was going to buy a fishing rod from Japan this year.  Should I buy it now before the outbreak gets worse, or wait and hope the yen plummets?

Japan Yen aldy plum down since last month foreign exchange. Aussie $ also plum down as well. Good time to buy, but not sure if it will fall further if the Virus is not contain soon.