oldgoat

ZZIPLEX

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

oldgoat

I have built  a great many Lite Bass rods. Is yours a one piece tip and butt. Total length around 11’ 7”. Reason I ask  is that Zziplex have recently released a couple ,of new Bass Blanks. For many years their Bass Blank was the Lite Bass. This is a 1 to 3 Oz blank and one of the best rods of its type in the world.

Mine was used for many years to cast plugs and Bucktails in Montauk. Both on the sand beaches and Under the Light. It makes for a great bait fishing rod for the surf for when you hold the rod not spike it.

I fished mine with a VS 200 when spinning  but it excels when teamed with an ABU 6500.

OK rod balance . You have to be brave if you want neutral to tip light balance.

At 11’ 7” the rod is too long for plugging and lure fishing. It will not balance well at this length.

The butt is parallel so solution is to take  6 “ off the butt. Just make sure you do, it at the non reinforced end. I use a fine  Tri square file to do this to avoid splintering .

I don’t use single leg guides on this blank. I use Titanium framed KW guides. Torzite is best choice. Butt guide is a size 25  tip top a size 10. First three guides from tip top are size 8.

This means rod will work great with conventional and spin.

I set my reel seat higher than most USA rods that come from a factory.

This is in part to get great balance . From butt end to center line of a 6500 reel

mounted in a DPS seat it measures 27.5 inches. Threads up the rod. 
I also use a semi pendulum cast when casting 3 Oz and small bait and that does not work with 24 “ inch reel positions.

I like slim grips and turn ones to keep good feel with the blank. That’s down to you. Between the grips I fit X flock shrink tube to help protect the butt.

Fuji RBP size 22 butt cap.

No underwraps . Wraps kept short.
This is just a wonderful blank.   I hope you have the long tip short butt Lite Bass  and not the two equal sectioned blank which is a totally different animal.

Dont worry if you can’t run to Totzite guides. Alconite are good to or even the old BSVLG .

Guide set is Tip Top size 10

Size 8 qty. 3

size 10 qty 1

size12 qty 1

size 16 qty 1

size 20 qty 1

size 25 qty 1

Space as for a conventional and then trust me when I say it will work well with a spin reel as well. Ok If you only want to spin then use NGC lay out.

A lean mean build works best with this super responsive blank. It is an all time classic. I have been building them for over forty years.

The blank is also very reliable and very strong.

Mike

Funny Mike , the light bass is my least favorite zippy . Way to tippy for my liking . Love some of the other bass rods , Powertex Bass one of my all time favs, have several in both spinning and conventional. Marine Bass in different lengths for plugging . My most used zippy now is Sea Raider in various lengths for plugging and jigging canal and light beach shark rod. 
Haven’t bought a zippy blank since Terry passed. 

Connman

Thats interesting. I see the Lite Bass as quite a firm tipped rod and one having  a very fast recovery from flex but not too tippy. That’s why I considered it for hand holding rather than rod rest.
For me the Powertex again a wonderful blank is tippy. The Marine Bass is not so common and it’s great you have one. I have just one left in my stock.

I have a Sea Raider up tide  as well and intended to use it for jigging in the CCC. But in the end did not bring it over due to the hassle of transportation. My Lite Bass I did get over and for many years it was stored for me in a Montauk .

Like yourself I have not ordered a Blank since a Terry passed. Zziplex was all about Terry and Barbara. I do have several Lite Bass Blanks rolled by a Terry and seven of the original models which had glass butts. These originals were very thin walled so I never sold them on.

The guys doing production and design are doing a great job.

Terry was a master.

Mike

13 hours ago, oldgoat said:

Thankyou guys.

I have a pair,one each for forty years and love them.

Just wondering if they have made changes since I've had mine.

oldgoat,

As far as my memory allows the history of the Lite Bass went something like this.

Original had very thin walls and the butts were too short  and were made from glass. Not a good blank in my view.

Then we got the carbon butt version and a thicker walled blank. This was a stiffer blank slightly than today’s model. It is the one I have fished for over forty years. Brilliant blank.

Next model was for me a bit of a flop. It was the carbon Kevlar blank. Luckily it did not last for much longer than a year.

Then came today’s model with a very good carbon pre preg. It has been in production for many years. Terry painted them for a while in dark green varnish until reverting  back to clear. 
I used to get them unground and ground. All time classic. In the U.K. it is used mostly as a bait rod teamed with a small conventional.

Nothing really comes close for me.

Mike

I may be wrong but I think the Bass Blank that OG may be talking about by the age, would be the original 11 foot 1-3 bass blank. These rods were long before the PTX and LT bass.  OG the new bass blanks are pretty nice too. the Bass CT and GT although long at 11'9 are very nice casting rods. and have very nice moderate tips. For what its worth I still have and fish my old Bass rod. Funny thing about Terry's Sticks even the older rods remain relevant. Timeless 

BigDave 

•   We met during the Streen long cast  contests on the Cape .
  • I started out with a Diawa(paul kerry) tournament rod and a Penn 930 reel 
  • Next was a Zziplex2500 and a Newell 235 which was stolen down Nauset AT 3AM.
  • Next was a -new-NG1 from Tonys tackle
  • Next was a Zziplex--Green Machine-2nd hand at a match
  • Finally my first Zziplex bass rod, followed by a second.
  • I picked up abass blank for my son in law and it sits unwraped to this day.
  • Sold a Zziplex-big gun? to fella from Pa.foregot his name.Iwas to old for it.
  • Oh ya  got a Zziplex up tide fer the boat or if I want to fight rock slime maybe the slippery canal.
  •  
  • BigDave you should give me a call if yer would like ta git some sand tween yer toes fishen.     Old Goat.
  • PS  I wouldn't wait to long if yer know what I mean. 

On 17/04/2020 at 11:00 PM, Big Dave said:

I may be wrong but I think the Bass Blank that OG may be talking about by the age, would be the original 11 foot 1-3 bass blank. These rods were long before the PTX and LT bass.  OG the new bass blanks are pretty nice too. the Bass CT and GT although long at 11'9 are very nice casting rods. and have very nice moderate tips. For what its worth I still have and fish my old Bass rod. Funny thing about Terry's Sticks even the older rods remain relevant. Timeless 

Big Dave,

I have seven of Terry’s origional Bass blanks. They were not his best. They were very thin wall and had unworkable very short glass butts. I never sold any as the risk of breakage in my opinion was too high. The next version Terry went carbon butts and thicker wall tips. He ground the base of the tips off a mandrel.

This is the version I fish myself. It feels a tad stiffer than the Lite Bass we have today. I still have around six of the Lite Bass rolled by Terry before he sadly passed. 

I have many of the early models still like the 2500 and NG1 and Dream Machines.

Agree his blanks are very relevant still. The lite Bass in my view has never been equaled .

Why would  I want to change from my NG1 to one of these 15 foot Continental Rods. Where is the fun and satisfaction in doing that.

cheers

Mike

Mr. Oliver,

Stumbled across this post whilst trying to find guide spacing for a Zziplex Light Bass 11'7"

I've yet to purchase the blank - can't find out if it's equal section or long tip ?, but it will no doubt be 2020 or 2021 production.

Leaning towards this for some estuary & light surf (UK) - need something ultralight I can roam around with.

Can you help with guide size/spacing for fixed spool and hybrid ? (What's the next best option to Torzites in your opinion ?)

Appreciate your time with this - if able ...

WIll

I'm not Mike O, but thought this would help:

Lite Bass:

· Tip length 8ft  

· Butt Length 4ft  

· Overall Length 11ft 8in  

· Butt Diameter 20mm  

· Tip diameter 2.7mm  

· Casting Weight 1-4oz

Are you using fixed spool or multiplier equally or does one dominate your preferences?

Braid on the fixed spool?

High reel?

Posted (edited) · Report post

HI ZA,

Thanks for the input - all gratefully received

This is where I get confused and/or maybe why I seem unable to find anything definitive - unsure if Zziplex model names change slightly globally, or if there are two distinct models here ?

The blank I've been considering (retail outlet) is a "Light Bass" 11'7", 1-3oz. Retailer states a 20mm butt, no tip dia. or section lengths though - are we talking about the same blank ?. It's liable to be 2021 production, as a 5-6 week lead time is stated.

I'd be predominantly fixed spool -  high reel - I'm interested in what the differences would be between FS and hybrid guide size/spacing though. I had intended to use mono, but now you mention braid ....

As you can see, I'm searching for info, to consider options & then arrive at a spec. This will be my first built rod, although I intend to have it built for me (no previous build experience !)

Thanks for your help with this - interested to learn more ....

Regards

WIll

PS: intention is ledgering, not plugging ....

Edited by sparklyman
more detail added