SurfFishDan

Slightly damaged blank on Okuma Cedros CSX 11' - Should I keep

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hi. Opinions needed.

I just received an Okuma Cedros CSX 11' surf rod from Amazon Warehouse. It was marked as Used - Like New condition. It arrived in a cardboard tube/box and the 2 pieces were loose in there. I examined the blanks and guides and at first I only saw some surface scratches on the epoxy loaded guide foots on one guide. But then I saw that the blue paint was chipped at 2 places on the lower end of the top section (between connection and second guide). Seems like the carbon

underneath the paint is OK but I don't know I should keep it. Since I bought from Amazon Warehouse, there is no replacement option. It's either keep it or return it. They offered 10$ promo gift card for a future buy and if I keep it a 20% refund on the price I paid. After the 20%, the price of this rod would be 108$ CAD (around 81$ USD). What do you guys think? Worth keeping it? Apply Epoxy on the chipped areas and give it a go? Not sure if it's still backed by Okuma's Limited Lifetime warranty since I bought if of Amazon Warehouse...

Thanks

IMG_2171.JPG.fca04ad61a3ec5569e396a0419d24e97.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG.122913a0f3e2eefab87d272c4b793031.JPG

IMG_2173.JPG.eaa18ec7e3b5a93807abaa01754bb2e4.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG.2d777a652a1e4218e9ae937f0dfad581.JPG

IMG_2175.JPG.d191905e00579338359a3c309fbe4f1b.JPG

Personally I would send it back.  Throwinplugs is right. I wouldn't take the chance. If the scratch is deep enough to go into the graphite, rod could blow up on you. My 2 cents. 

Honestly if it were me there’s no way I’d be keeping it. But if the warranty is the same as a new one I’d say fish it until it breaks and milk amazon’s customer service for a better discount.

It really looks like it's just the paint thickness that is gone. Might ask Amazon to do better and take a decision then.

Living in the Greater Montreal area here in Quebec, there is very few choices for surf rods (our any saltwater gear). So Amazon.ca as become my goto place for this type of gear. Ordered many rods in the past couple of years, returned plenty for replacements (I'd say at least 1/3 of the ordered rods). But none of them broke so far. Bought many Tica's when prices dropped around Novembre/December. But I wanted a 11' to cast and retreive plugs. I really like the feel of this Cedros rod, wow. Don't really want to send it back...:banghd:

1 hour ago, SurfFishDan said:

It really looks like it's just the paint thickness that is gone. Might ask Amazon to do better and take a decision then.

Living in the Greater Montreal area here in Quebec, there is very few choices for surf rods (our any saltwater gear). So Amazon.ca as become my goto place for this type of gear. Ordered many rods in the past couple of years, returned plenty for replacements (I'd say at least 1/3 of the ordered rods). But none of them broke so far. Bought many Tica's when prices dropped around Novembre/December. But I wanted a 11' to cast and retreive plugs. I really like the feel of this Cedros rod, wow. Don't really want to send it back...:banghd:

heres a free tip for you so you don't do what I unknowingly did.

when you carry the rod apart,don't allow the 2 pieces to rub on each other.

on mine the knurled reelseat locks chaffed the blank.

they are rough and will dig into the blank.

my fix was to wrap electrical tape around the reelseat locks so they won't dig in more.

mine has the same scuffs yours have.

if you stand the 2 pieces together with both ends on the floor you can see where they will touch.

now,as for what you have shown,that looks to be just a bit of paint chipped off.

they have limited lifetime warranty so,inform amazon if you feel to and keep it and go fish.

HH

I’ve had a couple of those rods in two different sizes ......loved them except they both exploded within 2 seasons.....they did warranty them both but the 10 ft exploded again.

the 8ft cracked at the joint so I threaded and epoxied it into a one piece....its a spare with a stradic 2500 on it now....good for the kids to catch Macs from shore.

3 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

Keep it and touch it up with some matching nail polish....And enjoy your purchase.. Sy.

By chance the rod breaks while casting plugs then it should be covered by Lifetime warranty. 

For what you paid for the rod it is worth keeping, my opinion. 

It doesn’t appear to be anything more than cosmetic.

You got a good deal.

Cover with a little nail polish and keep it.

Thanks everyone for your opinions on this. Last night I mounted a reel on it and tied on a hookless lure. Had my girlfriend hold on tight to the lure, I thighened the drag and lifted the rod slowly, just to see if I would hear some cracking noises. Did not. Wish I could go out and power cast a 3oz plug, but It's winter overhere, even if it's 35deg this morning... So the rod comes out at about 82$ usd (+ the 10$ gift card). I think I'll keep it. If it does break, I'll hope Okuma's warranty helps me out or Amazon will have to do something, and they usually do.

Any of you guys have the 11' version of this rod? It's my first rod with these small guides. I was planning on using a 6000 sized Penn that I already have or my Tica Scepter GX 10k on it but I'm wondering if it's too much reel (spool too big?. It balances very well with the Tica Scepter GX (claimed 23.5oz)... The spool of the Scepter is slightly smaller in diameter than the spool of my 6000 Conflict long cast  (which weighs less but still balances ok).

Anyway, what size reel would you use on this 11' ?

Posted (edited)

i ordered a penn battle II as a gift from the warehouse... sent it back when it came without the reel and with a missing eye.  2 days later i had a replacement on my doorstep 

Edited by wellman324

18 mins ago, wellman324 said:

i ordered a penn battle II as a gift from the warehouse... sent it back when it came without the reel and with a missing eye.  2 days later i had a replacement on my doorstep 

Ordered from Amazon Warehouse? ...and they offered  a replacement? First time I hear this. Maybe they had 2 of the combos.

One thing is for sure. The ''Inspectors'' that check out returned items or items that packaging got damaged do a very very lousy job. I ordered a Daiwa BG6500 2 years ago on Warehouse, the Condition - Like New. When it arrived I realized the spool shaft was bent and the bail hanger was cracked... Returned it.

Did also ordered a Okuma Nomad 10' travel surf rod. When I received the rod, it was not a Nomad but a 2 piece Okuma Coldwater 8'6'' downrigger rod...! It was in perfect condition. They gave me a full refund and told me to keep the rod since it was not in there inventory... OK, I said. Sold it a couple of weeks later.

Customer Service is always very friendly and helpful. I did get some good deals on items that were really like new...

yeah I handled the return through the app on my phone. Just wrote about the issue I had and described that the package was definitely not used-like new and that they were missing 1/2 of the combo.  I had no issue

14 mins ago, SurfFishDan said:

Ordered from Amazon Warehouse? ...and they offered  a replacement? First time I hear this. Maybe they had 2 of the combos.