Misled

Downsizing lures for spring?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys downsize your lures at the very start of the season hear in South Jersey.  I know many use lighter tackle but do you also use the smaller lures; darters, poppers, metal lips etc? Why or why not?  Should I go with a smaller presentation in the bays and larger in the inlet and out front? 

Always looking to learn so thanks in advance

I only fish out back at the start and unfortunately have to use bait if I wanna catch.  I will eventually switch over to paddletails, shads, and smaller swimmers.  But to answer your question, I do use smaller lures.  They are not as aggressive because of the cold water and the smaller the bait and slower retrieve helps.  

I will definitely be throwing more mag darters crystal minions and smaller poppers. I don't usually do this but I had some success with it last year and I learned a couple new spots   where these lures produce. 

thx, i realized i dont have any small lures, just the basic sizes.  I can use smaller bucktails but definitely need to grab some smaller darters, swimmers etc.

thx

I would suggest gear that can get the fish in quickly and release fast.  I'm not a fan of downsizing tackle tremendously.

4 mins ago, Goldy said:

I would suggest gear that can get the fish in quickly and release fast.  I'm not a fan of downsizing tackle tremendously.

absolutely agree on tackle.  I was more referring to lure sizes. 

7 hours ago, Jimo95 said:

I only fish out back at the start and unfortunately have to use bait if I wanna catch.  I will eventually switch over to paddletails, shads, and smaller swimmers.  But to answer your question, I do use smaller lures.  They are not as aggressive because of the cold water and the smaller the bait and slower retrieve helps.  

I was thinking along the lines of just using a maybe a 1 or 2 ounce coin sinker and a strip of squid on a 3 way barrel swivel and drag that rly slow off the bottom. I wanted to try that in RB, but I have no idea of t he bottom structure.