Chunkah

Go Board

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Go Board is God's gift to tile installers. At $22.00 a 3' x 5' sheet the material is more pricey then Durarock or Hardi Backerboard, but it is super light and cuts with a utility knife (score and snap like drywall) and a drywall saw (for water supply lines, around valves etc.). No more dust! And to seal the joints and screw holes you just use their sealant that comes in a caulking tube ($14.65 each). Super easy and a game changer for folks like me who work in congested areas and multi unit buildings where cutting outside is close to impossible other then in my truck bed with a grinder. It is waterproof unlike traditional tile backer boards so no more skimming joints and inside corners with mesh tape and fast setting mortar before applying two coats of Hydroban. The extra cost in board is more then negated in the price of the Hydroban, which is $100.00 a gallon (I use a gallon for each 5' shower or tub surround I do), plus the install time is cut in half. 

Just wanted to share the :heart::heart::heart:

Oh, they also make a drain system, curb, and "wedge" panels for custom showers...no more copper pans or rubber membranes.

Looks cool. I might give it a go next time. Honestly though, I've never found Hardi a pain to cut, what I can't score and snap I cut with a carbide grit jigsaw blade.  Have you ever tried the Schluter Kerdi system? I've been pretty intrigued, I like their Ditra underlayment, especially for countertops.

Love the Kerdi stuff. Drain system eliminates an inspection for holding water. Their  2x can be used as structure for shower seats etc.

Have not heard of this new name to me.

I researched the Schluter stuff a few years back (4?) and it seemed pretty expensive  but that may have changed. Plus if I remember correctly you are taping seams as well. That said whatever works for others is great...I have just been pleased with this stuff compared to traditional backer boards.

The Ditra mat seems cool for floors that are really prone to movement, but Hydroban allows for 1/8" movement and I have just never had the cause. 

I'm thinking of remodeling my basement bathroom and using the Go Board drain system for it. I may as well be the first install before I introduce it to clients.

There are some videos available for the Go Board for anyone interested in seeing how it's installed.....

On 2/23/2020 at 7:11 PM, Chunkah said:

Plus if I remember correctly you are taping seams as well. That said whatever works for others is great...I have just been pleased with this stuff compared to traditional backer boards.

The Ditra mat seems cool for floors that are really prone to 

There are some videos available for the Go Board for anyone interested in seeing how it's installed.....

Yep seams are taped in thinset. You know how it goes, seems expensive but labor savings have to be factored. 

Go Board is just like prefabricated niches I use. It probably cost identical to a Kerdi shower materials wise. I just have never used it. Im willing to bet it performs perfectly like Kerdi though. JM and Shluter are not small dogs and would not like 20,000 tile jobs torn out and massive class actions without their due diligence and testing in a product.