Looking for someone to assist with surf rod build in the SF/Peninsula Area

Rate this topic

bpetty79

I started building my first surf setup with a 1-piece 10' Lamiglas GSB and Saragosa 5/6k for throwing the usual stuff we we do here from the beach - SPs, metal, bucktails, etc.

After trying to ingest all the info: placement charts, Mudhole/Caruso videos, zero foot angle forum posts, 27x, Fuji GPS, NGC, etc, I decided it's time to ask for help. 

Would anyone be interested in teaching me (in person) the art of guide placement, static, and test casting?

I have the grip and reel seat already placed to my liking (I think) ,as well as purchased all the guides, tape, pencil etc. 

I live near Pacifica and am pretty available/flexible at the moment for anyone that can lend a hand.

Let me know. 

Thanks!

What guides did you get for it? I’m definitely not an expert but I would help where I could. I have some rods that we could “test cast”  with it so you can see how it compares. Full disclaimer, I have only built one rod so I’m only one step ahead of you lol.

D4E27E00-FD7E-4DAC-9095-0D4DEFA1719A.jpeg

Edited by Tbird650

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

~Steven Wright

I got excited because I see how close you are to me lol. Ya a lot of info to try and take in. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will be better then me.

sounds cool. I have those on a rod also

So you are going with the NGC layout. I take it you look at the site with the  Calculator to put in your info to see where to start? 

I was just thinking when you had them tape up and wanted to try in we could meet up and do some test cast for distance and load bearing.

pm if you want

I live here by the school and they have that nice AstroTurf ;) 

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

~Steven Wright

I've Custom designed/built countless rods....

My advice....purchase a set of guides....go to either the beach or a high school football field....bring the reel with the line you will be casting with...bring some lures that are rated for your blank/rod...I use kastmasters use the hook removed...

Start with a basic accepted guide placement..using electrical tape to secure the guides....electrical is "Stretchy"...so the guide placement is secure!....

Now start casting....First question...thing to look for...."Does the line flow SMOOTHLY through the first guide???!!!....or do you experience "line slap"..( line bunching up around the outside of the guide??!!!...

Keep adjusting & Casting!!!....

Soon with enough casts and adjusting the guides ( CORRECTLY)...you  will experience/FEEL the line flow effortlessly....through the guides!!!!!..

In addition...when a rod is created a natural "Curvature"...or...."Spline" is created!!!....

You need to FIRST!!!!....Identify the "Spline"....BEFORE anything is done!!!!....

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+find+the+spline+of+a+fishing+rod&oq=spline+of+a+fishing+rod&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l2.11049j

Edited by Tharsheblows

18 hours ago, Tharsheblows said:

I've Custom designed/built countless rods....

My advice....purchase a set of guides....go to either the beach or a high school football field....bring the reel with the line you will be casting with...bring some lures that are rated for your blank/rod...I use kastmasters use the hook removed...

Start with a basic accepted guide placement..using electrical tape to secure the guides....electrical is "Stretchy"...so the guide placement is secure!....

Now start casting....First question...thing to look for...."Does the line flow SMOOTHLY through the first guide???!!!....or do you experience "line slap"..( line bunching up around the outside of the guide??!!!...

Keep adjusting & Casting!!!....

Soon with enough casts and adjusting the guides ( CORRECTLY)...you  will experience/FEEL the line flow effortlessly....through the guides!!!!!..

In addition...when a rod is created a natural "Curvature"...or...."Spline" is created!!!....

You need to FIRST!!!!....Identify the "Spline"....BEFORE anything is done!!!!....

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+find+the+spline+of+a+fishing+rod&oq=spline+of+a+fishing+rod&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l2.11049j

Excellent tips! Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I think I have the basic idea of how to proceed now and feeling more confident about it for sure!

You will need a electric motor to rotate the rod during the application of the finish....

Here you go....On Amazon...$19.99

Onlyfire Universal Grill Electric Replacement Rotisserie Motor 120 Volt 4 Watt On/Off Switch, Black

Simple & Effective Rod Making Stand...

Look  up this on amazon...gives you a good visual starting point...

Flex Coat Rod Building Start-up Kit

...When I first started designing/building rods....I built a stand out of a cardboard box  with a "V" notched into both ends....& the wrapping thread went through the middle of a thick phone book for tension....

Wrapped a rod in the early 70s....& was applying the flex coat....turning the rod by hand....whilst smoking an opiated  Thai Stick Joint....

Got Sooooooooooooooooooooo STONED.....I forgot to keep turning the rod....When I finally awoke from my "HAZE"....the finish had DRIPPED down to one side of the rod & HARDENED !!!!...

I Christened & named the rod....."The Drip Stick"!!!!....it was a "FISH KILLING MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You can hopefully Imagine how the Rotisserie motor could be adapted....

Edited by Tharsheblows

The drip stick!! Love it! Tharsheblows, you should come out to the coastside and show us young bucks how to do it. I’ll supply the green. I used the rotisserie motor as well. I wanted it to turn a little faster so I used some hole saws and a old vac belt to triple the speed to help keep clean lines.. wish I just got one from mud hole instead lol. When you have to build tools to build something else it gets to be a bit much. 

EDCD4545-D8BB-443C-9D0F-23712AA35288.jpeg

Edited by Tbird650
Spelling spelling spelling

~Steven Wright

10 mins ago, Tbird650 said:

The drip stick!! Love it! Tharsheblows, you should come out to the coastside and show us young bucks how to do it. I’ll supply the green. I used the rotisserie motor as well. I wanted it to turn a little faster so I used some hole saws and a old vac belt to triple the speed to help keep clean lines.. wish I just got one from mud hole instead lol. When you have to build tools to build something else it gets to be a bit much. 

EDCD4545-D8BB-443C-9D0F-23712AA35288.jpeg

You bring the "Stickie Icky"...I'll bring the Golden Honey BHO....& we'll...."Swap the Decks"!!!

It does sound fun :) 

I think you want a drying motor. 4rpm-20rpm.

this one I have can’t trusted or I would give it to you. If you have the cash you can get one for like $50. I “wanted” to make one, spent a day messing around and it works but I didn’t feel  comfortable  leaving it or that the old motor will not catch on fire lol.. if you go to flexcoats website he has a great video on finishing.  

Or I hear microwaves have the motor in them to turn the dish. But the one thing you should have for a nice build like you are doing. Just to “safe guard” your investment so you can be proud 

Edited by Tbird650

~Steven Wright

Or I read hand wrapper as a power wrapper. My bad.

I got one I made your welcome too. But I think it’s too small for your build.

Nothing special.  

That may be easy to make lol

Something I miss and learn when I was doing it is to have a rubber band holding the rod so it will not spin  loosely 

image.jpg

Edited by Tbird650

~Steven Wright