Ben Lippen

Screw and nail storage for transport

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So screws are not just for drywall and decks anymore, ;) 

Usta be I carried maybe two sizes/kinds of drywall screws in the crappy "cardboard" boxes" often taped together, and the same with deck screws ( which were used for most everything else besides decks ) .

GRK has changed the game with their framing, cabinet, and trim screws. Now I carry many more sizes and styles of screws.  I'm currently working out of 3700 Plano lure boxes of course. And they work, but I'd really like to know if any other guys have a system that uses the original GRK or Kreg style boxes.  I'd like to be able to just grab a few small boxes , rather than a full bag/box of stuff that I then have to sort through.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/23/2020 at 6:46 AM, Grumpy1 said:

I bought a very similar product years ago from Duluth Trading. Have two actually, one gray I use for steel stud screws, and one blue I use for drywall screws....very handy. I like the idea of boxes though...

Edited by TimS
quote edited

I have a cardboard box that fits like 12 boxes in 2 rows. When I'm doing a kitchen I pile them in a cabinet. Yeah, the system could use improvement!  I have a white paint marker that I write the size and head type on the end of the boxes where there is nothing.  I wish I could use only Robertson, but HD only has Torx.  I do keep Tapcons in a Plano. I tried a bucket organizer for plumbing but it never seemed to work well for me. I should give another shot at organizing it for common maintenance.

I use the same bag as Grumpy posted. Should probably have a second one too... Then there are two boxes on my box truck whose shelves are full of plastic screw and fastener boxes.

Posted (edited) · Report post

38 mins ago, nightfighter said:

And just as important is the container of all the various tips and bits to drive thos screws and fasteners....

A partial solution I use is one of these $2 vinyl holders dangling from the handle of the drivers with a variety of insert or power bits in there. I cut the bottoms off some so the power bits can in deeper.

56635a24p1-a07a-digital@1x_637098758820233913.png?ver=ImageNotFound

Still need something for the overflow, a Dewalt folding case mostly works. Can put the hinge drills and countersinks in there too.

s-l300.jpg

Edited by gellfex

Maybe I wasn't clear when I said that I was looking for something that I could use to utilize the existing boxes I have or something similar.

No, wait. I just re read my post and I was perfectly clear that I was looking for something to hold the existing boxes.  But thanks for the cut and paste effort Mr. Helpful :rolleyes:  :mad: Read the fricking post/thread please.

I have all of my dozens of driver bits sorted out in one great box. I was just wondering if anyone had a cool screw box set up. 

Do I really need to first disqualify everything that I'm not looking for, in a post, before I ask a frickin question?  That's ridiculous. And I've tried it before to no avail.  Read the post, not just the title. I can search for stuff too.  If I had found the answer I wouldn't be asking here. Read the whole g damned thread please, before you respond. :mad: 

I bought some trays that go in a 5 gal bucket a while back.   Each tray is divided into 4 quarters and are stackable.  They go on top of each other in the 5 gal bucket.     4 trays to a bucket.    Works good   

11 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Maybe I wasn't clear when I said that I was looking for something that I could use to utilize the existing boxes I have or something similar.

Ok, if you're talking about using the plastic 1lb  boxes instead of the cardboard boxes, my system still does work. A box to fit them stacked smallest side up, write the type and size in Sharpie if it's not visible. Since you're a classy guy, instead of cardboard find a short plastic crate or make a wooden one, or make wooden ones just tall enough for the boxes that stack like milk crates, a cover plate with a handle and put a nice strap to cinch them together. Now that I say it, I may do this!

Like this, but a bigger, better box.

5e55c8e70475e_screwsbox.PNG.ee7f7be3a02ce71a8f925d2bd97d34ae.PNG

15 mins ago, gellfex said:

Since you're a classy guy

:laugh::laugh::laugh: 

Yeah, okay.... :laugh:

I've somehow gathered up a few of them  **** ****  supermarket carrying things with the folding handles. I think one of those will work well enough, after a coat of black spray paint so the  **** ****  folks don't come after me. 

Thanks for the idea :) 

8 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: 

Yeah, okay.... :laugh:

I've somehow gathered up a few of them  **** ****  supermarket carrying things with the folding handles. I think one of those will work well enough, after a coat of black spray paint so the  **** ****  folks don't come after me. 

Thanks for the idea :) 

I liked the idea so much I just drew it up. Each crate holds 18 1lb boxes. Easy to knock together from ply scraps. Stack em, drop the lid on and throw a cam strap around em. Or use your liberated baskets! Those USPS baskets work good too, the cool thing about those stacking baskets is you can put something short in em, then throw another basket on top and repeat. On my worktable I use stacking dog dishes I got long ago at a dollar store for organizing small parts and screws while I'm working on a gadget job.

5e55d10ee5518_screwsboxdesign.PNG.c9b2e4b52ecf5033b7c0d511e6df4e88.PNG