Proposal that will Hurt Maine and NH spring run :(

Rate this topic

13 mins ago, MartyK said:

I may be a little off base here, but many of us are Massachusetts transplants who were fortunate enough to be able to bail out of there.  One of the many reasons I left was I couldn't deal with all the political corruption.   I had a real problem paying taxes and fees to line people's pockets who were supposed to be "representing" my best interests, yet could care less.  Regardless of your national political feelings, think of Elizabeth Warren.  She's supposed to be representing the citizenry of Massachusetts, yet she is instead the national spokesperson for the anti-Trump movement.  Yet, do the voters of Massachusetts care she is their no-show senator?   They are so brainwashed by phony politicians or are so used to being screwed, they just accept this type of treatment as being normal.  

And now these very same politicians are involved in fishing quotas that will adversely affect  a relatively small voting bloc within their state, never mind in other places they could care less about, and we really think we can change their minds by appealing logically to them?   I'm not telling you I have a better solution, but as long a Massachusetts is run by a den of thieves, we have little choice other than to live with the consequences of some of their corrupt actions. 

Maine has over a 2 Century history of being screwed by Massachusetts, and folks wonder why we have that "special" name for folks from The Bay State...

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

2 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Maine has over a 2 Century history of being screwed by Massachusetts, and folks wonder why we have that "special" name for folks from The Bay State...

The day I retired from Corporate America I packed up the car and moved to our house in Maine.  My wife was still working and in charge of selling the Massachusetts condo.  I fished the next morning and headed up to the DMV in Kennebunk to get my Maine driver's license and plates.  It was like I wanted to cleanse myself.  In any event, some guy cut me off on the way home in Kennebunk center and I called him a Masshole.   We're talking 5 minutes and a quarter of a mile after I became a Maine driver. 

Marty

While not decided Mass is looking at changing open of the commercial season from June 23 to June 1. They have the 18% reduction and will not carry over the under quota from 2019. Sounds OK but the open season change has a good chance of actually increasing the kill from what they killed in 2019. In 2019 they missed the quota by about 23% so the 18% reduction is about meaning less. 

52 mins ago, MichaelT said:

While not decided Mass is looking at changing open of the commercial season from June 23 to June 1. They have the 18% reduction and will not carry over the under quota from 2019. Sounds OK but the open season change has a good chance of actually increasing the kill from what they killed in 2019. In 2019 they missed the quota by about 23% so the 18% reduction is about meaning less. 

That’s why it’s important to oppose this because it’s not in the best interest for the fishery.

GOD made my Mold different from the rest, Then he broke that mold so I know I'm Blessed.

I live in Mass and know how hot and cold it can be up there..I will be affected as well from Boston and points north.  It just puts a ton of pressure on these smaller pockets of big fish.  You just deal with the extra pressure after July 4th and be grateful for late May and June run. 

We just have to hope the first 40" class pokes into Boston the weekend before Memorial Day. That's what happened last year. Hope it happens again. 

4 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I live in Mass and know how hot and cold it can be up there..I will be affected as well from Boston and points north.  It just puts a ton of pressure on these smaller pockets of big fish.  You just deal with the extra pressure after July 4th and be grateful for late May and June run. 

We just have to hope the first 40" class pokes into Boston the weekend before Memorial Day. That's what happened last year. Hope it happens again. 

Hope so, or just hope that there’s enough opposition to keep the June 23rd start date.

GOD made my Mold different from the rest, Then he broke that mold so I know I'm Blessed.

1 hour ago, blacklabnh said:

damn right we can. And we can sell them to feed people rather than release them to float. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for commercial fishing...big fan....but can’t people eat something else for a couple years....it’s not as though the striped bass fishery is ending hunger.  Also not making anyone rich.....wouldn’t it be better to give em a break for a bit....and in the same sentence the sport guys should be held just as accountable....the whole battle over who’s got more of a claim to the resource ignores the solution, and still screws the fish....at the end of the day all of us....

1 hour ago, Plugger207 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for commercial fishing...big fan....but can’t people eat something else for a couple years....it’s not as though the striped bass fishery is ending hunger.  Also not making anyone rich.....wouldn’t it be better to give em a break for a bit....and in the same sentence the sport guys should be held just as accountable....the whole battle over who’s got more of a claim to the resource ignores the solution, and still screws the fish....at the end of the day all of us....

Good points, just shows the mentality on here when you get responses like that.. I wish they would shut everything down for 5 years, make goons like that work at Ames or kmart for a few years as well..

2 hours ago, Plugger207 said:

I know it sounds absolutely crazy to some, but I’ve managed to stay alive for at least the last four years without eating any type of fish! Crazy to think that human beings can even sustain without such a meal! Ok, sarcasm with the exception of me not eating fish, I’m sorry, but god dang, getting to eat fish is such a privilege and I wish it was viewed as such. The ocean owes us absolutely nothing. 

15 mins ago, Ftyer said:

I know it sounds absolutely crazy to some, but I’ve managed to stay alive for at least the last four years without eating any type of fish! Crazy to think that human beings can even sustain without such a meal! Ok, sarcasm with the exception of me not eating fish, I’m sorry, but god dang, getting to eat fish is such a privilege and I wish it was viewed as such. The ocean owes us absolutely nothing. 

Well said man....

9 hours ago, blacklabnh said:

damn right we can. And we can sell them to feed people rather than release them to float. 

Wow really that’s bizarre, so I’m sure you must release fish at some point, so as your trying to find a 35”+ fish, that are becoming decreasingly scarce, then release many smaller fish I’m sure that some of those are going to be floaters