stripedbassking

Proposal that will Hurt Maine and NH spring run :(

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

Massachusetts is looking to start their commercial season early this year. They have not met the quota in years, despite continuing to add fishing days at the end of the season to try and hit the quota they still fall short. Now Mass is proposing to start their commercial season June 1st instead of June 23rd.... BAD NEWS FOR EVERYONE IN NH AND MAINE. All those 35”+ fish will be targeted by the commercial fleet before they get a chance to get to our waters. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WRITE IN TO OPPOSE THIS! Starting their commercial season early would really impact the amount of larger fish we see in the spring run. 

GC, how are you man? Un effin real...Bad enough as it is, the fall run has gone to chit, looks like the first run of the year will get crushed, those dates are when are fishing has been best last few years.. well, if it goes to hell in a handbag, I am starting a knitting group and you are more than welcomed to join, fishing will be toast...

write in to who/where?

50 mins ago, stripedbassking said:

Massachusetts is looking to start their commercial season early this year. They have not met the quota in years, despite continuing to add fishing days at the end of the season to try and hit the quota they still fall short. Now Mass is proposing to start their commercial season June 1st instead of June 23rd.... BAD NEWS FOR EVERYONE IN NH AND MAINE. All those 35”+ fish will be targeted by the commercial fleet before they get a chance to get to our waters. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WRITE IN TO OPPOSE THIS! Starting their commercial season early would really impact the amount of larger fish we see in the spring run. 

45 mins ago, 7 Rivers said:

GC, how are you man? Un effin real...Bad enough as it is, the fall run has gone to chit, looks like the first run of the year will get crushed, those dates are when are fishing has been best last few years.. well, if it goes to hell in a handbag, I am starting a knitting group and you are more than welcomed to join, fishing will be toast...

Doing well and hope you are as well, and Thanks I’ll bring the Yarn lol

so please write in the the Mass reps, this would not be good for us!

37 mins ago, punkroktownie said:

write in to who/where?

The Mass reps, I’m out doing errands but when I get a second ill post who to send to. 

WE HAVE UNTIL MARCH 15th I BELIEVE BUT SHOULD GET IT OUT THERE NOW!

47 mins ago, 7 Rivers said:

What a crock of chit this is...I barely know anyone who will keep a striper.. the stuff south of us is pathetic...

And it sucks they have to run the gauntlet to get to us.....

news flash if you can’t reach the quota for years there is an issue!! Drop the quota down.

They will be cutting Mass. commercial striper quota by 18% this year vs. last year to meet ASMFC guideliness. But if this year's results turn out to be approximately the same as last year (and that remains to be seen), they won't come close to filling even the reduced quota. I don't get the earlier start either. We're basically making it easier for them to harvest more fish, when the ASMFC has already acknowledged that overfishing is occurring. Yes, the quota will be cut to what the ASMFC recommends, but starting three weeks early sends a mixed message. 

49 mins ago, bdowning said:

They will be cutting Mass. commercial striper quota by 18% this year vs. last year to meet ASMFC guideliness. But if this year's results turn out to be approximately the same as last year (and that remains to be seen), they won't come close to filling even the reduced quota. I don't get the earlier start either. We're basically making it easier for them to harvest more fish, when the ASMFC has already acknowledged that overfishing is occurring. Yes, the quota will be cut to what the ASMFC recommends, but starting three weeks early sends a mixed message. 

I believe the 18% isn’t even from last years quota if I remember correctly, I’ll have to look at that closely to see. But yes this is a blatant attempt at trying to fill a quota that’s not gonna fill anyway, it’s Bogus and WILL hurt the spring run for us in Mass and North of Mass.

1 min ago, SacoStriperFisha said:

Bunch of scumbags wont be happy until they are gone.

isn't that the truth...So much different up here, south of us don't get it, talk a lot of chit, could careless about the bass..

I may be a little off base here, but many of us are Massachusetts transplants who were fortunate enough to be able to bail out of there.  One of the many reasons I left was I couldn't deal with all the political corruption.   I had a real problem paying taxes and fees to line people's pockets who were supposed to be "representing" my best interests, yet could care less.  Regardless of your national political feelings, think of Elizabeth Warren.  She's supposed to be representing the citizenry of Massachusetts, yet she is instead the national spokesperson for the anti-Trump movement.  Yet, do the voters of Massachusetts care she is their no-show senator?   They are so brainwashed by phony politicians or are so used to being screwed, they just accept this type of treatment as being normal.  

And now these very same politicians are involved in fishing quotas that will adversely affect  a relatively small voting bloc within their state, never mind in other places they could care less about, and we really think we can change their minds by appealing logically to them?   I'm not telling you I have a better solution, but as long a Massachusetts is run by a den of thieves, we have little choice other than to live with the consequences of some of their corrupt actions.