Baitbucket

BH 691UL Acid Wrap

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Looking for a little guidance putting the guides on my Black Hole 691UL. 

As many of you know this rod has a pretty parabolic bend deep into the blank. Im having trouble getting the clearance needed when doing the wrap from the stripper to the first transition guide. There is a thin (paper thin) clearance from the blank under load. But thats to close for comfort.

From the butt of the rod to the reel face is about 16in. The stripper is 19in from the reel face putting it at 35in from the butt. Im using a Size 8 BLNAG for the stripper and size 6 BLNAG for the transition guide at 60deg. The next guide is a size 6 BKBAG at 120deg to a size 5 BKBAG at 180deg to complete the transition.

Any suggestions on increasing the clearance from the stripper to the first transition guide short of a higher stripper?

Rotate the stripper guide slightly further into the rotation so the line gives you the clearance you want. Say you have it placed 5 degrees off center- move it to 10. 

Or you can shorten the transition. I generally go 4-6" between guides as I transition and get it done within a foot or so beyond the stripper guide. 

Or you could add a guide to the transition so that you moved more slowly around the blank. 

You're also not set on your 60-120 setup. You could do 5-45-105 or any combination you choose. Just make sure your first runner is picking up the line where it intersects the bottom of the guide. 

28 mins ago, Sweetwater said:

You're also not set on your 60-120 setup. You could do 5-45-105 or any combination you choose. Just make sure your first runner is picking up the line where it intersects the bottom of the guide. 

By first runner do you mean the first guide at 180deg after the 120deg guide?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yessir. The first guide that is in line with the tip. 

Edit: I have tried a bunch of variations from a single transition guide at 90 to a seven guide transition into three running guides and I can't say any way around the rod is better than the other. My biggest issue with acid wraps is the guides that are off center tend to be damaged more often, so I try to keep them as few as possible and as close to center as possible. 

Edited by Sweetwater

Don't mean to hijack, but I'm having the same problem.  I like my current spacing, but under full rod bend (full drag with the reel I'm building it for) it juuuust hits before stripper.  Right now it's 18" from reel seat and I'd have to go to 14" to make it work.  Is this an instance where I should just go with a larger stripper guide to get the height I need?

On 2/22/2020 at 6:55 PM, Sweetwater said:

My biggest issue with acid wraps is the guides that are off center tend to be damaged more often, so I try to keep them as few as possible and as close to center as possible. 

When you say "off center" do you mean the line running trough them isnt centered on the guide or off center from 0deg and 180deg?

Ok So here is what i have come up with.

I move the stripper towards the reel 3in. Its now 16in (was 19in). I spaced the fist bumper 4 in at 60deg. I spaced the next one 4 in up at 120 deg, and 4in up from there is the last one at 180deg. So the whole transition is about 12in. In load tests, the line doesnt touch anywhere.

Is there anything i have to be concerned about by moving the stripper or how the line goes through the guides during the transition?

Here are some pics.

From reel to Stripper to 60deg bumper

IMG_20200227_204036.jpg.7d0531379f97f8b28d4430f7fddc6403.jpg

Stripper to 60deg bumper line clearanceIMG_20200227_204110.jpg.cacc87f2acd419a665c4704604e5d248.jpg

60deg bumper to 120deg bumper

IMG_20200227_204129.jpg.5ffc65791c7af3baae92125591de57ce.jpg

Did you add guides after pulling the transition in tighter or just adjust the spacing on the runners?  I think I need to tighten mine up, but reluctant to change my current spacing as I really like how it loads up. 

46 mins ago, Harp said:

Did you add guides after pulling the transition in tighter or just adjust the spacing on the runners?  I think I need to tighten mine up, but reluctant to change my current spacing as I really like how it loads up. 

Since u and I are in the same boat, i wanted to keep updating this as I test.

I bumped the stripper back to 19in from the reel face and bumped the transition guides to 5in apart. This left enough line clearance all the way around. The same spacing with the stripper at 20in was touching. So there is a sweet spot if you can find it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 hours ago, Baitbucket said:

When you say "off center" do you mean the line running trough them isnt centered on the guide or off center from 0deg and 180deg?

I mean the guides that stick out during the transition. 

Otherwise, y'all look like you are heading down the right path. I was also a little uneasy with 16" as a start. It just seems a little close. The transition in the pictures looks close to what I would do. Guide positions do move around with the action of the rod. 

I measured the two rods I have presently. The 7' 2 piece 1/8-1/2 transitions in 12" through a single guide at 90. My 9' 2 piece 1/2-2 rod goes 5.5" to my first transition guide, but the rest of the transition is funny because of the split.  Both have fast actions. 

Edited by Sweetwater

1 hour ago, Sweetwater said:

Guide positions do move around with the action of the rod. 

This is a good point. Should i try twist and turning the blank while load testing it to ensure line doesn't touch at any point?

Part if the idea of a spiral wrap is to create a "path of least resistance" that squares the reel to the tip by eliminating the tendency to twist in your hand. Theoretically, the rod should encourage you to only use it in the plane from the reel face to the tip because this is easiest on your wrist. 

Once you move the line out of this plane, it should not touch the blank because you are naturally fighting the fish in this plane. How well that translates in real life, who knows. 

If you are still concerned, rotate the guides away from the reel handle. Your natural tendency to fight a fish is to push with the hand on the rod, so the line would follow the inside arc of the rod.