FishyMike12

Surf Reels

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Just really searching for a solid used or good priced new Van Staal. Should I not look into Tsunami’s, Penn Torque, Torque 2? Just spit balling ideas, my reels take a beating, just want something newer that is still as Solid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, FishyMike12 said:

Just really searching for a solid used or good priced new Van Staal. Should I not look into Tsunami’s, Penn Torque, Torque 2? Just spit balling ideas, my reels take a beating, just want something newer that is still as Solid. 

You’re likely to get a better response if you take your spitballs to the Main forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a VS200, ZB22 and 1st gen Penn torque 5.  I prefer my Torque out of the three.  Nice drag and fast retrieve compared to the two.  Very easy to maintain as mentioned above and parts are easily available. 

 

The torque has an auto/manual bail switch which I think is pretty cool.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you don't reel underwater I would take a look at saragosa built like a tank and you could buy 2 of them instead of a VS.  Just an idea smoother than a fully sealed reel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your looking for a quality surf reel that can take some abuse, some spray and maybe even the occasional dunking you have a few options apart from VS or ZB. At the high end of the scale you'll have the Torque, VR and likely the Salt X. For a bit less money and a bit less sealing the Penn Slammer, Shimano Saragosa or even the Penn Spinfisher might fall onto your radar.

If however you plan to fish big surf consistently, swim, deep wade, consistency dunk your reels or reel underwater then you only have two choices. VS and ZB. I'm a VS fan myself though both brands will essentially hold up to the same conditions and both come with their pro's and cons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

 

If however you plan to fish big surf consistently, swim, deep wade, consistency dunk your reels or reel underwater then you only have two choices. VS and ZB. I'm a VS fan myself 

 

 sandbar,  just curious, how come you left the penn torque out of the above options ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 mins ago, mark d said:

 

 sandbar,  just curious, how come you left the penn torque out of the above options ?

Because I have never gotten a definitive answer on whether the Penn Torque is sealed on the same level as the VS or ZB. Ive always treated them as if they were on the same level as the VR as opposed to the VS. I've also heard anecdotal evidence that the Torque II isn't sealed as well as the original Torque.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Because I have never gotten a definitive answer on whether the Penn Torque is sealed on the same level as the VS or ZB. Ive always treated them as if they were on the same level as the VR as opposed to the VS. I've also heard anecdotal evidence that the Torque II isn't sealed as well as the original Torque.

 

 fair enough, thks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just buy a vs and dont look back. 15 years from now you'll be thankful you did and all your penns, diawas and shimanos will be hanging from the ceiling shiny and new because you never used them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SIC34 said:

Just buy a vs and dont look back. 15 years from now you'll be thankful you did and all your penns, diawas and shimanos will be hanging from the ceiling shiny and new because you never used them again.

l did that over 20 years ago when the first run of VS100 and 150 came out and there still in use today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LB said:

l did that over 20 years ago when the first run of VS100 and 150 came out and there still in use today.

Good stuff. Those old American made Staal's just keep ticking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 10:41 PM, Sandbar1 said:

Because I have never gotten a definitive answer on whether the Penn Torque is sealed on the same level as the VS or ZB

 

And what level of waterproofness are the VS & ZB?

 

You probably can’t say, because neither company states what that level is. They only tell you “waterproof” or “sealed”.

 

As for the Torque, the second gen. is sealed just as well as the the first. Anyone tells you otherwise, it’s hogwash. I own and fish VS, ZB, and Torques, both generations. I fish them all the same in the same conditions. They all have kept the same level of water “tightness”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 10:44 AM, DEM Parking Lot said:

I have a VS200, ZB22 and 1st gen Penn torque 5.  I prefer my Torque out of the three.  Nice drag and fast retrieve compared to the two.  Very easy to maintain as mentioned above and parts are easily available. 

 

The torque has an auto/manual bail switch which I think is pretty cool.

 

 

I’m with you all the way with the Torques being my favorite out of the big 3. I have 3 Torque 5’s, and I took that auto/manual bail switch off of all of them. Seems to be more of a sand trap than anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

     I just retired my 1st gen torque 5. I got 7 years of land based tarpon fishing out of it, and it was still in great shape when I sold it. It doesn't like to be over-filled, and the handle requires servicing every couple trips (aftermarket knob solved this issue), beyond that it was a great reel. Wishing I hadn't sold it now. It's replacement is enormous, and doesn't quite balance the rod I had the torque on. Now I'm building a new rod for the replacement and contemplating a gen 2 torque 5500 for the old rod. I'm an idiot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.