Roccus7

Pogies Will Continue To Be An Issue In The Next Couple Of Years

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

State reverses course, leaves menhaden fishery open

Edited by BillB
You really must stop posting articles with commercial links in them.

Jeez if I was an industrious Sob I’d be trying to get those Asian carp in the Mississippi real cheap!  Too bad we can’t use animal Hides anymore, good and greasy and you can fish em till they rot!  

In all seriousness though we are farming for lobsters.  The take from one to feed another thing historically doesn’t work.....even if there’s more money in it.....

2 mins ago, Plugger207 said:

In all seriousness though we are farming for lobsters.  The take from one to feed another thing historically doesn’t work.....even if there’s more money in it.....

You're very correct.  UNH had cameras on traps and they really don't "trap" the lobster, they come in, dine, hang a while and then book out.  Trap concentrations in Maine so high, we're just feeding them and happen to catch 'em while they're bellying up the smorgasbord...

Posted (edited) · Report post

29 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

You're very correct.  UNH had cameras on traps and they really don't "trap" the lobster, they come in, dine, hang a while and then book out.  Trap concentrations in Maine so high, we're just feeding them and happen to catch 'em while they're bellying up the smorgasbord...

I’ve seen some of that footage.  My grandfather use to joke the lobsterman On Baileys had names for em before they ever were legal....or you could really tell if someone was fishing where maybe they shouldn’t because the bugs they were selling looked like Marks or Joes....guys always say they feed em there whole life.

It’s hard for me to take a stand on this one.....As a Mainer, fisherman (commercial,sport,pleasure), Chef, I’m torn.  I kind of just want it all, in balance......terrible to admit but I’m also an early Millennial.....kinda proud of it though.  

Cant we just call a spade a spade.....there’s more money in “farming” lobster throughout the entire food chain.....so fine that’s the truth....but can’t we do better with alternatives for bait rather than destroying soooo much other forage....

The omega guys are the real problem worldwide.....all this fish oil bs, what happened to just eating a can of sardines.....

Edited by Plugger207
Words

Sardines ?!? Todays folk are way to suffiicticated for that. easier to swallow a pill , with no regard as to its origins.

sardines on a saltine with a slice of sharp cheddar and a hot pepper slice on top. Yum !!!