Philly

Pedestal seats

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

It's not my boat, but a friend I fish with brought a 16 foot aluminum boat and installed pedestal seats.  This is his first boat and he's only been fishing for three years since he retired.  When he installed the seats, and I'm not sure where he got his information on how to install them, they sit on springs rather than the pedestal.  The problem, as I see it , is the seats are unstable and dangerous.  My back is still feeling the results of fishing three straight days on them last fall.

Am I correct in suggesting to him that the seats should be on the pedestals and not the springs? 

Springs?   Seats should be really secure.  I made a diamond plate "sandwich" to help spread the load on the deck and bolted base into metal framing below the deck.

This is one of those things that you really cannot overbuilt given that you will have 200 lbs plus on a seat 3' up a pole.  Lots of torque applied to the bottom end

Thanks, Captain Ahab.   The pedestals are secure.  I checked that out.  It's the seats that aren't secure.  I'll pass this on to him. Hopefully, he'll listen.   There's four of us that fish together.  There two boats. The other one is a smaller jon boat that doesn't have pedestal seats.  I've already told one of the other guys, I'm not fishing in the other boat this year.  That should motivate them to help me put pressure on the other guy to get those seats secure.