dpt

re: SW jig hooks

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Are you asking about jigs or just the hooks?   I do some inshore fishing not using a fly rod and it's hard to find a jig head weighing less than a 1/2 oz.  Not something you want to fly fish with.  Here's a couple of flies that I tied on Eagle Claw 413CAT 1/0 hooks.  The heads are just thread, eyes and UV resin enough weight to allow them to ride hook point up.

P9270307.JPG

P9270309.JPG

I am looking for jigs for river fishing salmon.  Not sure the weight size but when I have used them, not really casting per se but flipping them out into current.

1 hour ago, Philly said:

Are you asking about jigs or just the hooks?   I do some inshore fishing not using a fly rod and it's hard to find a jig head weighing less than a 1/2 oz.  Not something you want to fly fish with.  Here's a couple of flies that I tied on Eagle Claw 413CAT 1/0 hooks.  The heads are just thread, eyes and UV resin enough weight to allow them to ride hook point up.

P9270307.JPG

P9270309.JPG

Why should you have trouble finding jig heads weighing under 1/2 oz?  All you have to do is ask at this link.

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/forum/59-cbst-requests-what-are-you-looking-for/

I make 18 or 20 different head shapes and a lot can be had under 1/2 oz.  Some as low as 1/32 oz.

I'd imagine you'll be using these for twitching for salmon. A super effective technique especially for coho.

Depending on what weight rod you are fishing, you'll want 1/8 or 1/16 oz heads. Hook sizes in 1/0 and 2/0 work well as you mentioned.

Casting a 1/8 oz head on an 8 wt isn't an issue. 

You really don't need saltwater hooks for river fishing. Any jig head with a good 2X strong hook like Owner or Gamakatsu will work fine.

Mustad 32833NP-BN is more of a value hook but will also work fine.

The nice thing about the Mustad's is they come in small sizes if you ever want to tie micro jigs or use them for balanced leeches.

Any tackle store that sells steelhead gear should carry both painted and unpainted jig heads in case you want to paint your own..

SF

Edited by Stonefish

On 2/20/2020 at 0:38 PM, Stonefish said:

I'd imagine you'll be using these for twitching for salmon. A super effective technique especially for coho.

Depending on what weight rod you are fishing, you'll want 1/8 or 1/16 oz heads. Hook sizes in 1/0 and 2/0 work well as you mentioned.

Casting a 1/8 oz head on an 8 wt isn't an issue. 

You really don't need saltwater hooks for river fishing. Any jig head with a good 2X strong hook like Owner or Gamakatsu will work fine.

Mustad 32833NP-BN is more of a value hook but will also work fine.

The nice thing about the Mustad's is they come in small sizes if you ever want to tie micro jigs or use them for balanced leeches.

Any tackle store that sells steelhead gear should carry both painted and unpainted jig heads in case you want to paint your own..

SF

I like to use SW hooks because I fish coastal rivers in AK and the tides can be so high that SW will flow up the river to where I fish.  I use 9' 8 wt or 10' 7 wt fly rods and will be using a 11 ft 7 wt switch rod this year for swinging streamers.  Not sure how the latter will work for jigs!

Thanks for the advice.

David

David,

Twitching might be tough with a switch rod but I've never done it so can't really say for sure. Mending will be great though for swinging.

Nice country up there. I fished POW last September and had a lot of fun twitching jigs for coho.

I hear you about the tides up there. A bit different then what we get down in Washington. Much bigger.

I still think you'd be OK with non SW hooks as long as you give them a good rinse and dry at the end of the day.

You'll likely lose many on snags long before they get an opportunity to rust......at least in my case.

SF