jackattack

Be Honest..You just caught world record striper...

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

And you are a charter captain, and/or it’s not a commercial day and you can’t sell it. A new world record could mean a lot of money and publicity for a charter captain, plug builder, public speaker etc....

so what do you do....let it go or keep it and have it mounted and go on tour with it? 

You let it go, because keeping it will get you a ticket and a rep as a poacher and therefore ruin your business.

Just curious, as a rec fisherman, if you catch & keep a world record striper, what are the penalties?

Just a $$ fine? I haven't seen penalties mentioned in the new slot regulations for 2020.

This such a silly question but I luv it.........Keep it.....show it to the world!!!! OOOOOO I'm going to get a ticket and a rep lol........I'll also be the new world record holder......what's the state gonna do? Take away my crappy rec license?? they can have it! I just caught the new world record!........how's that for honesty??........:box:

Many years back, I kind of recall Ande line offering a huge cash prize if you caught record bass on their line. Not sure, but it may of been a million.....so would you keep it for a million?

Not sure how it would work. moratoriums come and go. Say in couple of years the bass stock recovers and they do away with the slot limits....I would be pissed that I released world record striper.

personally I would obey the law and release it but would not be thrilled about it.

32 mins ago, jackattack said:

Many years back, I kind of recall Ande line offering a huge cash prize if you caught record bass on their line. Not sure, but it may of been a million.....so would you keep it for a million?

Years back a guy i tuna fished with........Donnie Braddick caught the world record white shark on mundus's boat......He was using big game trilene so I think he won 250K as they were offering that to anyone who caught a world record using their line.........

I let them all go so no I wouldn't keep it. And yes, it would be confiscated, no company in their right mind would pay a person for poaching with their equipment, and no one would want to pay to hear anyone speak about keeping a fish outside the legal limit. Furthermore, a world record fish has to be weighed on a certified scale. I can't say for sure but any certified scale owner would have to report someone trying to weight a fish that should have been released. 

If you are so desperate for fame learn how to sing.

1 hour ago, beerdoh said:

I let them all go so no I wouldn't keep it. And yes, it would be confiscated, no company in their right mind would pay a person for poaching with their equipment, and no one would want to pay to hear anyone speak about keeping a fish outside the legal limit. Furthermore, a world record fish has to be weighed on a certified scale. I can't say for sure but any certified scale owner would have to report someone trying to weight a fish that should have been released. 

If you are so desperate for fame learn how to sing.

Well aren't you the modern day striper preacher lol......Be careful you don't trip over your own shadow!

I would try to keep it alive and get on the radio and see if someone could meet me with a certified scale. Hopefully weigh it, release it, write a book about it, get rich and famous, retire...

3 hours ago, zak-striper said:

Just curious, as a rec fisherman, if you catch & keep a world record striper, what are the penalties?

Just a $$ fine? I haven't seen penalties mentioned in the new slot regulations for 2020.

For one, it would never be officially recognized as a record, since it was caught illegally, so any awards offered would be void. 

8 mins ago, ermghoti said:

For one, it would never be officially recognized as a record, since it was caught illegally, so any awards offered would be void. 

It’s not really caught illegally. You can still fish for stripers. It would be kept illegally. It would probably end up as some unofficial record with an asterisk.  I’m sure plenty of tackle manufacturers and magazines would still want in on the action though.