Fruit and Vegetable Gardening Thread 2020 Edition

Rate this topic

6 mins ago, JimW said:

I would consider getting rid of them.  Social distancing maybe since they look like they’re all in containers.  A lot of fungal and bacterial spot isn’t controlled except by removal and if that crap starts getting into the rest of your garden...  

Not sure how specific this is to peppers but tomatoes, eggplant all get similar diseases I think 

I got em separated now. Gonna treat and cross my fingers but you may ultimately be right.  

The most endangered species? The honest man.

56 mins ago, JimW said:

Social distancing maybe since they look like they’re all in containers.

Okay, I had to chuckle at this. How deep this has penetrated our psyche. :eek: ;)

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

Okay, I had to chuckle at this. How deep this has penetrated our psyche. :eek: ;)

Was intended for a chuckle. 
For NS’s sake I hope it’s not one of the many spot or wilt diseases.  Some are like herpes, once in your garden it’s almost forever.  I have a cherry with leaf spot and it threatens to finish off a 60 ft tree in any stressful season.  Treatment is for me to pick up and remove fallen leaves where it harbors. Not happening. 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Was intended for a chuckle. 
For NS’s sake I hope it’s not one of the many spot or wilt diseases.  Some are like herpes, once in your garden it’s almost forever.  I have a cherry with leaf spot and it threatens to finish off a 60 ft tree in any stressful season.  Treatment is for me to pick up and remove fallen leaves where it harbors. Not happening. 

Well eff me. My cherry got walloped this year. First time. Like 3/4 of the leaves browned in a week.

Had guy in. He said fungus, though not what fungus.

35 mins ago, NaturalScience said:

Well eff me. My cherry got walloped this year. First time. Like 3/4 of the leaves browned in a week.

If it’s spot you can use fungicide spray but not happening here 60 feet up.  My tree gets whacked later in the season. basically always drops leaves early but if it’s not terribly damp and wet we get to September.  Often times not more recently. 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

13 hours ago, NaturalScience said:

Wow

13 hours ago, JimW said:

If it’s spot you can use fungicide spray but not happening here 60 feet up.  My tree gets whacked later in the season. basically always drops leaves early but if it’s not terribly damp and wet we get to September.  Often times not more recently. 

Man I hope your trees do okay. My wife & I were considering planting a cherry but I think you two might have dissuaded me.

I have a newb garden questions w/ pics.

I live in the south eastern part of PA between Philly and Lancaster in Chester County.

Last Fri I planted a half a dozen Borage plants. All are doing well except one. You see it in two pics below. It's flowering, but stem is bent / sagging and a couple leaves are yellow. Any idea what might be causing this?

Also, I have a nice patch of bush limas that I direct sowed. They are all doing well, but one looks like something is eating the leaves. Any idea what it might be and what I might do about it?

Finally, I have a tomato plant that started showing some tiny white spots on some of the leaves. Now it looks like the white spots are becoming tiny holes. I wonder if the white spots aren't eggs that hatch and what ever it is are eating a hole through the leaf. Any input? Also, there's a cumber near that tomato and one or two of the leaves now have spots on them. Same thing or different? Do I need to worry and what do you recommend that I do to protect these plants?

Thanks in advance!

JD

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

The borage will grow like that sometimes, no worries. The spots on the tomato look like an early blight or other fungal issue. The cuc may be the same or start of powdery mildew.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

The cucumber looks like it could be anthracnose. Common on them, from what I've been reading. Jump on it now with a fungal control. 

My tomatoes just about every year get a little early blight but as soon as I start the neem oil and remove the affected leaves they have grown through it.

The closest thing I can match up to what's gotten my peppers is phytopthora blight, which it seems makes them a lost cause. It's possible they can be saved if the disease is only on the leaves but if it has gotten to the roots it's game over.

Still can't believe how fast these got walloped. 2 stinking days. 

They say a 4 year crop rotation with brassica and grains to starve it out.

Seeing as how mine are containers I may have to scrap all the soil.

Lol. In 4 years I went from  a 4 x8 backyard hobby to needing a degree in horticultural sciences. 

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

The borage will grow like that sometimes, no worries. The spots on the tomato look like an early blight or other fungal issue. The cuc may be the same or start of powdery mildew.

Oaky thanks.

26 mins ago, NaturalScience said:

The cucumber looks like it could be anthracnose. Common on them, from what I've been reading. Jump on it now with a fungal control. 

My tomatoes just about every year get a little early blight but as soon as I start the neem oil and remove the affected leaves they have grown through it.

The closest thing I can match up to what's gotten my peppers is phytopthora blight, which it seems makes them a lost cause. It's possible they can be saved if the disease is only on the leaves but if it has gotten to the roots it's game over.

Still can't believe how fast these got walloped. 2 stinking days. 

They say a 4 year crop rotation with brassica and grains to starve it out.

Seeing as how mine are containers I may have to scrap all the soil.

Lol. In 4 years I went from  a 4 x8 backyard hobby to needing a degree in horticultural sciences. 

Ha, I hear and can relate to your 4 yr progression. I decided to build a box this year and start a vegetable garden, then built another, now have containers, plants a herbs all over our little property.

So do you two recommend any specific products for my tomato & cucumber?

You're saying I need to pluck off affected leaves on both?

Tnanks!

JD

Worth a shot with baking soda

spray but there are proprietary fungicides that work better.  They all look like one fungus or another. Early blight, powdery mildew, spot.  You can bring in all kinds of fungus with greenhouse seedlings. Prune affected leaves as you can and bottom foot or so.  Clean mulch helps as does collecting any fallen leaves. 

Don’t mean to discourage anyone from growing cherries.  Proper pruning to keep them open so the leaves dry, full sun and regular spraying should keep them healthy.  You’ll have to keep up with it. 

Last year I used neem oil for fungus and pests with reasonable success, particularly with the fungus until the later part when the powdery mildew decided it wouldn't be stopped. This may have also corresponded with a vacation and a couple of missed treatments, though. 

I've used copper spray. 

There's plenty of homemade recipes on the Google machine.

Gonna try the baking soda myself.

What's funny with the cherry is I did a good prune last 2 years too. Really opened it up.

It's best practice not to compost the infected material. 

Edited by NaturalScience

JD, 

Crazy how quickly the garden fever takes over. Lol.

It's very rewarding.

As far as what's eating your beans, you can take a trip out when it's dark and take a peek with the flash light. 

My eggplant were getting devoured last year. Practically defoliated in no time. Kept hearing it was slugs but when I went out at night and looked Japanese beetles were on the plant. Had to add spinosad to my regime for them.

Edited by NaturalScience

Hey jjdbike....

Did you look closely on the underside of your tomato leaves for flea beetles (tiny beetles that look and jump like fleas)?   That photo you posted is not very clear.

Proper diagnosis would eliminate unneeded sprays.

Edited by MattituckMike