Fruit and Vegetable Gardening Thread 2020 Edition

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, Lost Cause said:

I got all my pepper/tomato seedlings growing nice. I've still got some extra space to fill. It popped in my head today that I've never grown potatoes/sweet potatoes nor know anything about it. Just wondering if its too late to start them?

Not too late for either.

Just a heads up......The Three Chilly Saints are coming this weekend and coinciding with a full moon. In my area, they are already saying there could be a late frost, so be careful what you are setting out...........

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

So it seems jalapeno and Thai chili's just aren't in the card this year. I just can't get them to germinate. Jalapeno seeds are a couple years old but the Thai are this year's purchase. 

Tried in cell packs. One Thai germinated and remains small. It's been at least a month.

Tried paper towels in zip lock bags. 

Tried in a half pint deli container in starter mix.

All have been on heat mat.

Tried pre soaking some.

Tried putting a towel on top to hold in the heat.

I'm at a loss.

First attempt at Thai but jalapenos did well last year.

The most endangered species? The honest man.

33 mins ago, Bluefishmaster said:

These crazy November like weather is making it hard to grow anything for me.

Yeah with such a mild march I thought I would be slick and get a jump on some cool weather crops like radish. Only the Asian greens and snap peas took but they are really only starting to develop now. They basically sprouted, grew a bit and then just stalled. Maybe row covers/hoop houses are in the cards next year. Lol.

Part of the fun, trying new techniques and ideas.

I haven't looked it up but it sure seems to be a rather cool wet spring this year.

NS - Jalapeno seedlings should be readily available at a better nursery. Even Thai you might find.

As to the warm weather crops, I could have predicted long ago that any out now,, unless you are in the deep south, it is just too early. All you had to do was look at a calendar and see the full moon at about the same time as the Three Chilly Saints, and you should KNOW it would be pretty cold if not a frost and even a freeze. Sure enough, this AM, 32 degrees in my backyard.

The farmstand up the street put in a big field of tomato seedlings earlier in the week, and then they had to scramble in the last couple days to get them covered with Remay, which they did, but they should have know better. (Am gonna have to give Jim a hard time about that..... ;))

Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, none of that should be out until the night time temps are consistently above 50. Without a frost, they will survive, but they would grow and can actually be set back by the cool temp. Better off to wait until at least 5/15 if not later.

Edited by Steve in Mass

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

51 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

NS - Jalapeno seedlings should be readily available at a better nursery. Even Thai you might find.

As to the warm weather crops, I could have predicted long ago that any out now,, unless you are in the deep south, it is just too early. All you had to do was look at a calendar and see the full moon at about the same time as the Three Chilly Saints, and you should KNOW it would be pretty cold if not a frost and even a freeze. Sure enough, this AM, 32 degrees in my backyard.

The farmstand up the street put in a big field of tomato seedlings earlier in the week, and then they had to scramble in the last couple days to get them covered with Remay, which they did, but they should have know better. (Am gonna have to give Jim a hard time about that..... ;))

Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, none of that should be out until the night time temps are consistently above 50. Without a frost, they will survive, but they would grow and can actually be set back by the cool temp. Better off to wait until at least 5/15 if not later.

Commercials often put tomatoes out early and hope to get lucky.  Price of first early tomatoes is worth risk of replanting for many.  

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

I'll give a look around for some seedlings.

Fortunately I have not transferred  any real warm weather crops outside yet.

All the tomatoes, peppers and eggplant are still under the lights indoors though I am starting the hardening off process. Today, in fact. Gave em 2 hours outside. I'll keep up the process for the next 2 weeks before they Go in the ground. 

On a fun note, from your suggestion SIM, I received sorrel seeds in the mail.

I'm putting in some more beds and some will be dedicated to stuff like sorrel and dill.

17 hours ago, NaturalScience said:

On a fun note, from your suggestion SIM, I received sorrel seeds in the mail.

I'm putting in some more beds and some will be dedicated to stuff like sorrel and dill.

Will be interested in seeing how the sorrel works out. The stuff I have I started from seed many years ago, and while I think it acted much like an annual lettuce and I got some the first year, what I still have is from that first batch I planted and comes back every year as a perennial 

If I remember correctly, after a few years I divided some clumps of it to expand, and have plenty now. In fact, just had some last night with dinner, and that is stuff that just grows, as with my back issues, I haven't tended to it since early last spring.

SOL Member #174