Fruit and Vegetable Gardening Thread 2020 Edition

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, PaulS said:

Hi,

My Cabbage seems to have stopped growing (heat?). They are currently the size of between a baseball and a softball.  Should I harvest them now or just leave them to see if they get bigger.

Took a fence down early this year to get a shed in and haven't replaced it w/a stone wall like we were planning on.  The deer loved my tomatoes plants!

Don;t know where you live, but could be shortage of water. I would leave them as long as they otherwise look healthy unless they begin to split.

Give them doses of a bit more water, but not overboard, too much all at once can make them split.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Question for SIM, after many years of gardening, do you miss the growing season? Do you seek farm stands that carry what you grew? What do you miss most?  I can't give up peppers, tomatoes, parsley and basil although I'm tiring of needing to be on site for 4 months straight. Even the reward and gratification from growing your own just isn't there, I can enjoy a tomato from my neighbors garden as much as my own.

BTW, where does one find a watermelon with taste, and black seeds?

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

8 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Question for SIM, after many years of gardening, do you miss the growing season? Do you seek farm stands that carry what you grew? What do you miss most?  I can't give up peppers, tomatoes, parsley and basil although I'm tiring of needing to be on site for 4 months straight. Even the reward and gratification from growing your own just isn't there, I can enjoy a tomato from my neighbors garden as much as my own.

BTW, where does one find a watermelon with taste, and black seeds?

Funny you should ask, as I was about to start a thread on some of the things you mentioned.

And yes, I miss my garden immensely. Aside from the harvest, there is something about having my hands in the soil and tended to the plants that is extremely fulfilling for me. But then, it is in my blood, as my maternal grandfather and his family were farmers.

Give me a bit to start the other thread.

Edited by Steve in Mass

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Steve, why no more gardening? Edit - just saw the other post.  sorry about the knees

I usually only have Tomatoes and peppers and maybe one other thing.  Always have problems bc I had 2 huge pine trees but they were cut down last year so everything now gets lots of sun and I expanded the garden with 2 raised beds.  I also always have a lot of flowers.

I'm still amazed you can plant a seed or a small plant and few months later you get a big piece of fruit/veg or a big flower.

I appreciate everyone here who will take the time to answer questions of a beginner (prob. over and over from different people).

Edited by PaulS

How early, I.e greenish, red or yellow respectfully, can I pick my tomato’s?

I have a handful of yellow cherry tomatoes “sun sugar”, a  couple handfuls of red cherry tomatoes, and a “big beef” that are nearly ripe. I leave tomorrow for a week at the beach. 
When should I pick them? How detrimental is it to pick early, vs potentially leaving on too long?

JD

25 mins ago, jjdbike said:

How early, I.e greenish, red or yellow respectfully, can I pick my tomato’s?

I have a handful of yellow cherry tomatoes “sun sugar”, a  couple handfuls of red cherry tomatoes, and a “big beef” that are nearly ripe. I leave tomorrow for a week at the beach. 
When should I pick them? How detrimental is it to pick early, vs potentially leaving on too long?

JD

At the first blush of color, you can pick and put on a windowsill to turn red.  Pick if they are at that stage, put in a bowl on the table, enjoy when you get back.  

Pick those nearly ripe ones and take with you, you'll eat them before you leave for home. 

On 8/6/2020 at 0:01 PM, bob_G said:

Some of my basil.  Gonna be a lot of pesto.

IMG_20200806_104810.jpg

Bring it in for the winter. If you have good light it will do dine

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Bring it in for the winter. If you have good light it will do dine

Does that work with basil Joe?   I have a grow tent, that's where we start our tomatoes.  I wonder if it would do well in there?

But what you see in the photo is only some of what we have.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Any South facing windows? My daughter grows Basil and a couple of Hot Peppers in our sun room (faces due South - windows begin a foot off the floor - but a table in a window would work) and they do fine. Peppers will grow forever if carefully pruned. They are only annuals to us because of the frost. 50ft by 50ft garden is a jungle this year because of the heat - just need to keep the water to it. Getting lots of attention since I can't do my June and Sept trips to Sagamore this year. What really hurts is I have a new rod waiting for me at CMS.

Puck - Ditch Troll #42 and Mouse #320, the Canadians  - Eh! At the Ditch for 50yrs

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Does that work with basil Joe?   I have a grow tent, that's where we start our tomatoes.  I wonder if it would do well in there?

But what you see in the photo is only some of what we have.

I had one pot of basil for 3 years. Rosemary for 5. Parsley no more than 2

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd

19 hours ago, bob_G said:

Thanks, never knew it.  

I've used windows sills, & the dining room table. I have a sunroom. It was hard to walk around in the winter. Lots of plants including a 10 y/o Hibiscus. of course now we're moving to AZ...  We had a yard sale. Folks bought everything including the ferns hanging in the front of the house. Time to start over...