Steve in Mass

Fruit and Vegetable Gardening Thread 2020 Edition

Rate this topic

348 posts in this topic

Decided to plant my butternut squash in a container, and took you guys advice on putting a tinfoil hat on the stems. So far looks like 4 babies coming along. Of course I need to water twice a Day! F82D6428-9732-4CCD-9C65-AE863E6C1B36.jpeg.87a3634193c8e58f3c6412e5caae76d0.jpegF0A98AF2-2C48-4E6B-8E6D-881F4A0EC030.jpeg.03a1c05e4ff4e850d204fab2241a8910.jpegP

8 hours ago, Good2Go said:

Decided to plant my butternut squash in a container, and took you guys advice on putting a tinfoil hat on the stems. So far looks like 4 babies coming along. Of course I need to water twice a Day! F82D6428-9732-4CCD-9C65-AE863E6C1B36.jpeg.87a3634193c8e58f3c6412e5caae76d0.jpegF0A98AF2-2C48-4E6B-8E6D-881F4A0EC030.jpeg.03a1c05e4ff4e850d204fab2241a8910.jpegP

Tin foil hat? Babies?

Please explain. Those butternut squash are veracious growing plants. I have two ( no head wear or offspring that I know of), that are growing by the feet & taking over. 
JD

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Tin foil hat?

If you wrap the stem at the base (as in the picture) with foil, it helps prevent the squash vine borer from getting into the stem.

G2G - unique idea training it to grow up those stairs..... :th:

26 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Yes, cool idea on the steps.

Some 35 years ago when we first moved to Mass, we lived in a small apartment in Quincy which was a 3 family. Out front there was a small lawn and then a border near the house with some yew shrubs, and I would plant a few tomatoes in between them, and perhaps some lettuce and radishes, as that is all I could fit.

There was a small front "porch, and I would place vertical cord from the top of the railing to the soffit, spaced perhaps 6" apart. At the base of the porch, I would plant morning glories. at the end of that small border. As the vines grew, I would train them up to the railing and then up the cords, and by this time of year it would make an almost solid "wall" of the flowering vines. My neighbors all loved it.........

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

If you wrap the stem at the base (as in the picture) with foil, it helps prevent the squash vine borer from getting into the stem.

G2G - unique idea training it to grow up those stairs..... :th:

Wish I was that clever, I was holding the phone oddly when I took the pic, pot is at the top of the stairs and gravity is pulling the vines down! 

Had my fill of lettuce and zucchini. Gave away tons. 

Now the eggplant, cucumbers and tomatoes are coming in fast. 

790B51B7-27EE-401F-BE46-4FBF5CD753E8.jpeg

10 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

Had my fill of lettuce and zucchini. Gave away tons. 

Now the eggplant, cucumbers and tomatoes are coming in fast. 

790B51B7-27EE-401F-BE46-4FBF5CD753E8.jpeg

Beautiful!

Very nice work!

JD

Hi,

My Cabbage seems to have stopped growing (heat?). They are currently the size of between a baseball and a softball.  Should I harvest them now or just leave them to see if they get bigger.

Took a fence down early this year to get a shed in and haven't replaced it w/a stone wall like we were planning on.  The deer loved my tomatoes plants!

What is happening to the end of my San Marzano tomatoes?

I have three separate raised bed gardens. Two have tomatoes. 

The one with the SM also has heirlooms and super 100’s. 

Only the SM seem to be experiencing this. 

44442436-D4A4-49C1-A4DE-0448F500DAC2.jpeg

ED12CB9D-19FA-4799-AF6C-A8EAD8AAC94A.jpeg

2 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

What is happening to the end of my San Marzano tomatoes?

I have three separate raised bed gardens. Two have tomatoes. 

The one with the SM also has heirlooms and super 100’s. 

Only the SM seem to be experiencing this. 

44442436-D4A4-49C1-A4DE-0448F500DAC2.jpeg

ED12CB9D-19FA-4799-AF6C-A8EAD8AAC94A.jpeg

Blossom end rot. That variety is prone to it. Usual cause is the of lack of calcium.

It won't help the fruit that already has it,.but for the rest of the harvest, get yourself some TUMS (or similar, be sure the ingredient is calcium carbonate), crush the tablets, and scratch it in around the base of the plants. and if fertilizing still, don;t, the magnesium in the fertilizer ****** the uptake of calcium.