Steve in Mass

Fruit and Vegetable Gardening Thread 2020 Edition

Rate this topic

155 posts in this topic

Buy a bag of hose washers and see if doubling up stops the leak at the nozzle.  Get a cheap lightweight collapsing 20-25 ft hose to extend the heavy hose for the wife.  I also have a wand with a full flow sprinkler head which delivers more water and extends reach.  Hose menders are easy fix as Steve said. 

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

For single leaks, Home Depot has hose menders for about a buck or two each. You can also bet male and/or female ends.

You could also use those to add another 5-10 feet to your hose using a piece of old hose.

57 mins ago, JimW said:

Buy a bag of hose washers and see if doubling up stops the leak at the nozzle.  Get a cheap lightweight collapsing 20-25 ft hose to extend the heavy hose for the wife.  I also have a wand with a full flow sprinkler head which delivers more water and extends reach.  Hose menders are easy fix as Steve said. 

Thanks gents.

Headed to hardware store soon.

JD

21 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

For single leaks, Home Depot has hose menders for about a buck or two each. You can also bet male and/or female ends.

You could also use those to add another 5-10 feet to your hose using a piece of old hose.

20 hours ago, JimW said:

Hit the local hardware w/ three problems to deal with: 1) Leak at nosel, 2) leak / crack in hose, 3) hose 5 - 10' too short.

Solution, new premium heavy duty hose, more teflon tape and several different washers. See hose package below. 100' vs 75, thicker walled (i.e. kink proof), larger diameter, way better fittings. The washer, and extra washer it came with was way different than washer's I'd seen before. Thicker and different material. Almost like a more firm silicone, instead of that hard rubber they usually are. Teflon tapped up male fittings, cranked them on w/ channel locks and wrench.

All problems solved except now it's even heavier and more unwieldy for my wife. Oh well, no wasteful annoying leaks, can reach all corners of garden, I'm satisfied.

Thanks.

JD

JD

IMG_1960.jpg