Steve in Mass

Fruit and Vegetable Gardening Thread 2020 Edition

Rate this topic

177 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Is about that time of year again to begin starting seeds indoors for this season's garden.

Unfortunately, between my back and knees, again this year growing my own stuff will be extremely limits if at all, which breaks my heart as it has been a passion of mine for most of my life. So I have to live vicariously thru you folks.

So have at it.....

Normally about now I would be sowing peppers, eggplant, parsley and other herbs, leeks, onions, and perhaps some early greens (kale, mustard, Asian greens such as mizuna , and some lettuces) under lights indoors. Would also be bleaching and washing seed starting trays and containers to have them ready for use as the weeks quickly progress.

So have YOU started yet?

Edited by Steve in Mass

Sorry to hear that Steve.

Perhaps some raised beds on legs would be in order to both garden in and to provide some fun with power tools time.:D

Just a thought.

I was going to wait till.mid march to start my tomatoes and cukes and squash.  Too early or too late?   I also want to do broccoli rabe but need to wait till April i think

1 hour ago, Baccigalup said:

I was going to wait till.mid march to start my tomatoes and cukes and squash.  Too early or too late? 

Depends where you are. Up here in SE Mass, Tomatoes indoors in mid April. Cucs and squash indoors late April, or direct seed in mid May. Our last frost is generally around 4/20, but for those crops, you want nighttime temps consistently over 50 before setting them out. 

Reasonably good germination for the onion family so far.

Peppers and eggplant are a bit slower but poking through at about 50%.

Got the lights set up on time this year so leggy shouldn't be a problem. 

I think with this very mild weather I might direct sow some radish and spinach this weekend. 

Anyone ever grow hops? I was given a seed pack and figured I'd try growing it this year maybe brewing some beer when it's ready. Any ideas when I should start them indoors?

6 hours ago, Lost Cause said:

Anyone ever grow hops? I was given a seed pack and figured I'd try growing it this year maybe brewing some beer when it's ready. Any ideas when I should start them indoors?

Friend grew them from rhizomes. You should read up some.  I think seeds need 2 months cold treatment to sprout.   Seeds between 2 damp paper towels in bag in refrigerator, keep damp.  

Flowers have been started under lights, veges not for another week or two.   

The suggestion above of raised beds is a good one to consider.  Or even container gardens (Earth box, plant bags, etc) are a bit easier on the back and knees

I have a small compost pile, maybe would fill 1/2 a landscape pale, when it comes time to plant is it better to just put it right near or under the plant rather than till into the whole 10x20ft garden?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Use it to side dress individual plants like tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash after you have put a trowel-full into the planting hole at planting time.

For things like salad greens, either work it into the bed or if you plant in rows side dress the row.

Peas, use something else like peat moss to loosen the soil if needed. Root veggies, they really don't need a lot of Nitrogen (makes them fork and get "hairy"), so unless you have a lot of compost, use some other soil amendment for loosening....I use play sand and peat moss.

Of course, if you have a large supply, then tilling it into the entire bed before planting is certainly a plus.

Edited by Steve in Mass

Found these at my Pops house after he passed on earlier this year

gonna plant a few and see if they take, sealed package from 1979

E2D3E4A5-D89E-4B58-A967-068BAE24B3FD.jpeg

6BC2A769-CE40-44B9-BAE8-00DE383A7CFA.jpeg

05B932C8-86A7-474F-946E-68E48F27EE37.jpeg

971DFE4A-A918-4BB8-8EFC-BB3751B33486.jpeg

Slightly off thread topic but I had a couple of heads of garlic from last year in the cold room. A couple of good cloves remain but the others are Brown, soft and have a crystal coating. They don't appear to be rotten but are these guys no longer edible. Didn't see much on the google.

20200315_174238.jpg

Probably end stage of waxy breakdown.  Won’t kill ya but not likely anything you want to eat.  High temperatures around harvest or in storage or maybe low oxygen/air circulation in storage.