chessie_yaker

Commute or convenience?

Rate this topic

148 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, Finster said:

That's too close. Now if there's ever a problem, guess who's getting a call....

Yeah, I am the contact for late night alarms now and that will suck. Also no excuses for not getting to work. There are some downsides. The pros far out weight the cons for me though. I have a river in my back yard now so that cuts my fishing commute to nothing as well. 

1 min ago, HugeDinghy said:

its not like you're gonna run out of work...ever...lol. 

Ha ya know I’ve thought about that more than a few times. It’s an unfortunate necessity and the need just increases over time. It would be nice if it went the other way. I’d be as happy as a boog to be out of work, but I’d get another job 

1 hour ago, IsmailG said:

About 45 minute drive, but working midnights no traffic on my way in, and no traffic heading home in the morning. Don't mind the drive at all, helps clear the head and wake up. Bumper to bumper takes years off your life

No residency requirement ?

2 hours ago, chessie_yaker said:

I’ve always had at least a half hour commute to work, less a short stint of trying my hand at city life. It was short lived. My average commute one way now is about 50 minutes. I like not living in or close to the city. The ride to work gives me time to listen to a podcast or audiobook while I sip coffee and prep for the day. The ride home is decompressing and shaking the world off. 

Do you prefer to live close to work or the city?

Would you rather have a longer commute to get more for your buck? 

Inquiring minds want to know 

Guy I used to work with commuted about 60 miles one way just soo his wife didn't have to work. He just took another job where he mostly works from home now. 

My drive is 16 miles, so any where from 20-30 minutes, not bad at all. 

1 hour ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Chelsie, what's your trade?

I see what you did there. 

1 hour ago, chessie_yaker said:

I’ve always had at least a half hour commute to work, less a short stint of trying my hand at city life. It was short lived. My average commute one way now is about 50 minutes. I like not living in or close to the city. The ride to work gives me time to listen to a podcast or audiobook while I sip coffee and prep for the day. The ride home is decompressing and shaking the world off. 

Do you prefer to live close to work or the city?

Would you rather have a longer commute to get more for your buck? 

Inquiring minds want to know 

I've two offices now.  One is 7 miles, 3 stop signs and 10 minutes, the other 5 stop signs, 21 miles and 30 minutes.  I like the short one better in the a.m. and the longer one better in the afternoon at times. 

Before we moved out here and I was still living in the burbs but commuting out here it was 55 miles and 60 minutes, no traffic. wasn't bad, but I distinctly remember thinking just before we moved out here what I was going to do with my newly found 1.5 hours a day.   I still don't know what happened to it. 

2 mins ago, JaseB said:

I've two offices now.  One is 7 miles, 3 stop signs and 10 minutes, the other 5 stop signs, 21 miles and 30 minutes.  I like the short one better in the a.m. and the longer one better in the afternoon at times. 

Before we moved out here and I was still living in the burbs but commuting out here it was 55 miles and 60 minutes, no traffic. wasn't bad, but I distinctly remember thinking just before we moved out here what I was going to do with my newly found 1.5 hours a day.   I still don't know what happened to it. 

I'm still looking for all the money I saved when I quit smoking.

83 miles one way, an hour and a half if I'm lucky... which over the last 6-8 months isn't often.  Ride in has been on average two hours a day for months, ride home has been better... until summer gets here.

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

Just bought a house across the street from my job. I plan on walking once the weather warms. 2 minute commute by car if I hit the one traffic light. 

Why drive at all? 

41 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

I thought you were never retiring.  

Remember, he told us he already calculated the number of days till her can retire at Chinco?  He's are rainman. 

1 hour ago, MitchellNJ said:

I average an hour and a half one way. Can't wait until retirement.

I calculated awake hours per year in a car. One hour commute minus weekends, holidays, vacation and recommended sleep hours. So you're awake on work days only. One month of your awake life is spent in a car every year. :eek:

Image result for rainman

25 mins ago, MikeMc said:

Guy I used to work with commuted about 60 miles one way just soo his wife didn't have to work. He just took another job where he mostly works from home now. 

My drive is 16 miles, so any where from 20-30 minutes, not bad at all. 

I’m trying to set us up for that as well. She works shifts at the hospital, but wants to be home more with the kids, possibly homeschool. I let her know that if I land one of the couple opportunities that are on the table she can stop working, but is convinced that working a shift a week will help us somehow. She wants to contribute financially and I get and appreciate that, but she could stay home for that shift and I just stay in for a couple hours of OT. :shrug:

22 mins ago, JaseB said:

The ride home in the evening can be bitter sweet. Long enough to forget about the day, but sometimes too long when I need to get home or just really want to be back home and not sitting with a bunch of morans in traffic. There are a couple sites close to the new digs that would be 30 min or less and I’m going to shoot for those, but for now and the beginning it will be 1-1.5hr each way.