chessie_yaker

Commute or convenience?

Rate this topic

148 posts in this topic

I’ve always had at least a half hour commute to work, less a short stint of trying my hand at city life. It was short lived. My average commute one way now is about 50 minutes. I like not living in or close to the city. The ride to work gives me time to listen to a podcast or audiobook while I sip coffee and prep for the day. The ride home is decompressing and shaking the world off. 

Do you prefer to live close to work or the city?

Would you rather have a longer commute to get more for your buck? 

Inquiring minds want to know 

Depending on which house i stay at i either have a 60 min ride or 3 minute ride.  I much prefer the longer commute.  I get more work done that way.  

With a move coming up this summer I’ll be looking at anywhere from an hour to one and a half one way. Not my gas not my vehicle, so in my mind it’s a wash. I get to live where I want and make the money needed to live modestly in DC with a little extra scratch. My hopes are to leave early enough to beat the traffic. If I can do that it should stay at about 1:15-1:20 each way. 

2 mins ago, PaddyCrabby said:

Depending on which house i stay at i either have a 60 min ride or 3 minute ride.  I much prefer the longer commute.  I get more work done that way.  

Do you drive the hour or is that train/subway? I know a guy who does a lot of miles in a week, he drives and uses the time to catch up on emails and making calls. Phones reading to you and doing talk to text have been a game changer for what he does and I can see how 

I commute 25 miles each way, takes on average 30 minutes in the morning and 45 in the afternoon.  Lately it's been wearing on me, there's so much construction going on right now in RI that one small accident or even just a cop pulling someone over will back traffic up even longer.   Where I live now holds no real appeal to me but it's near my wife's parents so she won't move away.  If I had it my way I'd be living down in Little Compton away from people.

4 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

Do you drive the hour or is that train/subway? I know a guy who does a lot of miles in a week, he drives and uses the time to catch up on emails and making calls. Phones reading to you and doing talk to text have been a game changer for what he does and I can see how 

No train.  Just my vehicle.  I use the time alone to work out designs in my head and to make client calls to overseas in the morning and west coast in evening.

31 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

I’ve always had at least a half hour commute to work, less a short stint of trying my hand at city life. It was short lived. My average commute one way now is about 50 minutes. I like not living in or close to the city. The ride to work gives me time to listen to a podcast or audiobook while I sip coffee and prep for the day. The ride home is decompressing and shaking the world off. 

Do you prefer to live close to work or the city?

Would you rather have a longer commute to get more for your buck? 

Inquiring minds want to know 

Its not commute. Its bumper to bumper traffic and aggressive driving. And tolls.

4 mins ago, Dave588 said:

Our dayshift in boston is 5 til 3 on a ten hour shift. The 5 is easy. The 3, your just in backup for 30 miles. 

My commute starts later now so it’s bad both trips. Harford county south to Baltimore was about 25 minutes 20 years ago. Now it’s only double that on a good day 

About 45 minute drive, but working midnights no traffic on my way in, and no traffic heading home in the morning. Don't mind the drive at all, helps clear the head and wake up. Bumper to bumper takes years off your life

Posted (edited) · Report post

best commute i ever had was almost exactly 25 minutes and never any traffic, just time. like OP said, gave me time to wake up in the am and time to leave work at work in the pm. close enough to run home in case there was a need. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

Retired now but commuted 38 miles each way for  30 years. Not a lot of traffic, good roads except in winter when it was often blizzard-like. Got a lot of work done without constant questions, phone calls and distractions. Kept my kids in a good area with lots of family support. 

When I retired, I dropped in pay but got a bump from not having the gas and other costs from commuting. That was around 9500 miles per year.

took me an  hr to get halfway home yesterday, stopped amd ate wings and 4 beers than another 45 minutes the rest of the way, **** charelston