cbchurch

Super Strike Darters question

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

5e4dfb62327ad_surfcaster1989435b.jpg.3e133efb869883cb0d3c398c9f83363d.jpgThis scan is from The Surfcaster 1989 catalog. Are these wood? I have wood Donny Musso 3 hook darters, but didn't know there were smaller ones in wood or plastic..

Steve T5e4dfab9d675f_surfcaster1989_ps_435.jpg.3fe642b347757f4b8f34e948faf7beb4.jpg

Edited by cbchurch

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think I may be able to shed some light on this. I am working from memory as my Surfcaster catalogs are long gone. I checked my logbooks and verified I received the first prototype Donny plastic darter in July of 1990. Donny had no plastic darters in which to have a picture taken (89 catalog) so instead made wood "stand ins" (note only 2 hooks on large instead of 3 which was standard for the wood variants) . The darter in plastic was never available in 1989 despite what was printed in the catalog regarding later availability.  I have no insight as to why a 2 oz version is also shown. I do not remember a 2 oz size plastic Darter ever being discussed by Donny during any of our talks but it has been thirty years and perhaps it was at one time a possible additional consideration.

Edited by SC

Thanks, I figured it might have been something like that.

My favorite lure from Donnie is the little wood bottle plug.  Wish he had made those in plastic..... Also wish I had bought a bunch more of the wood ones back in the day.

Steve T

5 hours ago, IslandSurf said:

I recall seeing pictures of the smaller SS plastic darter..Someone had a few 

I saw a pic of one ‘optical illusion’ smaller darter in a box from SS on here a few weeks ago. Were there really some changing hands?? I’d love to see another pic if you have/know of one. 

1 hour ago, RyanJ_88 said:

Found the pic. Referencing the Chartreuse colored darter on the right

F9E8366C-E4C3-4F6D-9AC6-2628629AEAFA.jpeg

It doesnt look like an optical illusion. Ive seen other pictures in collections.I do remember this picture..

10 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Could one of you enlighten me regarding what constitutes a "Montauk Darter"?

"Montauk Darter" was the name Jach Frech called his homemade darter in the Fisherman plug making series of articles

1 hour ago, IslandSurf said:

It doesnt look like an optical illusion. Ive seen other pictures in collections.I do remember this picture..

No it certainly doesn’t haha. Apparently that was Steve’s reply to people who were inquiring if they were producing/selling a smaller darter. I just assumed any were kept under wraps after this slip-up, but super excited to hear that some may/do exist out there!

3 hours ago, RyanJ_88 said:

Found the pic. Referencing the Chartreuse colored darter on the right

F9E8366C-E4C3-4F6D-9AC6-2628629AEAFA.jpeg

THAT is a box of awesome. Those cloud bullets, oh man. Beauties.

F9E8366C-E4C3-4F6D-9AC6-2628629AEAFA.jpeg.a4504bc46cdb118dcc57505a161e937d.jpeg.jpg.bc738a2c29a1da467a9918499ae0d2a0.jpg

Isn't thIs pic acouple years old?

I've always thought that Donny and Steve could do well expanding their line of plugs. Example- the deep swimmer bottle plugs, without rattles. They should bring them back. Really I've done better with all the bottles without rattles! Lightly weighted green eyed needle fish, highly sought after. 

Still wanna see some pics of this alleged Spook...

Just now, Haycreekrambler said:

F9E8366C-E4C3-4F6D-9AC6-2628629AEAFA.jpeg.a4504bc46cdb118dcc57505a161e937d.jpeg.jpg.bc738a2c29a1da467a9918499ae0d2a0.jpg

I've always thought that Donny and Steve could do well expanding their line of plugs. Example- the deep swimmer bottle plugs, without rattles. They should bring them back. Really I've done better with all the bottles without rattles! Lightly weighted green eyed needle fish, highly sought after. 

They gave away Spooks at striper day...Theres some new Super Strike spooks floating around..They gave them out in random gift bags

5 mins ago, IslandSurf said:

They gave away Spooks at striper day...Theres some new Super Strike spooks floating around..They gave them out in random gift bags

I know that they did but, have yet to see a clear pic of 1 outta the bag!!

10 hours ago, Haycreekrambler said:

Yes pic it at least a few years old if not older. I’m with you still dying to see the spook out of the bag