SeaZen 21

Boston last week of April

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi all. I’ll be coming up from NJ to Boston during the last week in April for work. I’m just trying to gauge how the salt water fishing opportunities are at that time historically. 

Is there a realistic chance at finding a striper bite that early or do they tend to move in later on? If so, is it more of a boat/charter based fishery, or can fish be found from shore around the city? I’ve looked at the OTW striper migration map (for whatever that is worth) for the past several years and it seems that the first push of schoolies comes in around this time or maybe in the next couple weeks. 

And if it is too early for stripers, are there any other saltwater species in play at this time?

thanks!!

How long you gonna be here and how far are you willing to drive? At least schoolies will definitely be in estuaries and rivers of the cape and ri by then. Out front you can pick them off that early, but more consistent as we get into may a bit. All of this is shore based fishing.

Boston itself? Been many years since ive shore fished it, but reliable striper fishing back then was more of a early to mid may start. Ditto for plum island. i would go by other ppls advice for boston proper though, no longer my beat. :b40:

Thanks for the input. I’ll be there for 3-5 days. I’ll probably stick to Boston itself since I’m taking the train in. 

Are any other species prevalent in the salt around that time?

Might be a little early for migratory stripers but the holdovers should be active when the herrings are running.  Winter flounder should get moving around that time. Think of the shallow mudflats where it is the first to warm up. 

Just now, SeaZen 21 said:

What are blackbacks? Winter flounder?

Yes.  I never used to call them that.  I must be getting old.  Only old dudes call them that!