Eeeeels

Amp Repair

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Kneel said:

Ken Fischer and recently Rich Koerner are dead. They are the only two legends that have "touched" my trainwrecked 190 watt(yes 190, not 135) 77' silverface twin.  I don't know what I'll do when it needs to be serviced.  Probably just cry and never play the guitar again. :cry:  

That being said, I've had some work done by Mike Sportiello (sportiesound.com) in Bound Brook on other amps and have been happy.  He was Dennis Kager's apprentice for a while.  And well Dennis is dead too so **** it.  Just buy an Eleven Rack and go emulator... :dismay: 

It’s all about the tone bro. Tone is EVERYTHING. The amp gets a little muddy, but hey that’s a hot rod deluxe. Thinking of upgrading the stock speaker to a vintage 30 also. See where that takes me 

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

That's right around the corner from Monmouth County. :th:

This is the type of thing you drive two hours for if you want it done right.  You don't just leave it with some snot nosed kid at guitar center. 

Edited by crazybellringer

On 2/19/2020 at 8:52 PM, EricJ said:

You can also check that shop in Asbury.  I forget the name. 

Russos?

I used to go the one in Hamilton and heard they expanded into asbury.  That shop, the one in Hamilton was the best.

7 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Russos?

I used to go the one in Hamilton and heard they expanded into asbury.  That shop, the one in Hamilton was the best.

Forge the name and will ask my son. He and I were there about three weeks ago. I was in asbury last night buying a used acoustic case from someone.

On 2/20/2020 at 7:25 PM, Eeeeels said:

It’s all about the tone bro. Tone is EVERYTHING. The amp gets a little muddy, but hey that’s a hot rod deluxe. Thinking of upgrading the stock speaker to a vintage 30 also. See where that takes me 

What type of music are you playing? I'm assuming the stock speaker is a Fender Gold Label? If you WANTED my opinion, the V30 would be a mistake as it would break up too quick. Unmodded, you would just get, well, louder mud. It's a fantastic speaker, just wrong for the application IMO. You need a speaker to handle the headroom of the HRDx and break it up late. Think sensitivity <100 dB like a Celestion G12-65 or a WGS ET65 .  Try one of those in there for a month before you mod it. If you are still not happy, try the V30 or 50w Reaper.  I'd probably go for the Reaper first. :th: 

On 2/20/2020 at 5:49 PM, Kneel said:

Ken Fischer and recently Rich Koerner are dead. They are the only two legends that have "touched" my trainwrecked 190 watt(yes 190, not 135) 77' silverface twin.  I don't know what I'll do when it needs to be serviced.  Probably just cry and never play the guitar again. :cry:  

That being said, I've had some work done by Mike Sportiello (sportiesound.com) in Bound Brook on other amps and have been happy.  He was Dennis Kager's apprentice for a while.  And well Dennis is dead too so **** it.  Just buy an Eleven Rack and go emulator... :dismay: 

This sounds like a man who has given up all hope in life. :( 

32 mins ago, MikeMc said:

This sounds like a man who has given up all hope in life. :( 

On the contrary, it's snowboarding season. :th:  But that amp has given me so much joy over the years it's hard to explain.  It makes sounds that shake my loins. It makes me sound like a better player than I'll ever be. It's essentially an unnamed Trainwreck Express dressed as a 70's Fender Twin with 4 6550's.  I asked Ken to blackface it.  Got it back a week later.  In addition to the amp, he handed me box saying "this is all ****"... it was the output transformer, reverb driver, pre and power tubes and an envelope of about 20 assorted capacitors. He just understood tone like no other.  He found four GE 6550's matched within 2mA of eachother. Then added a switch where I could drop the output to the first two 6550's, ONLY 95 watts :laugh:, which were within 1mA of each other. He was an extraordinary dude when it came to circuits...

1 min ago, Kneel said:

On the contrary, it's snowboarding season. :th:  But that amp has given me so much joy over the years it's hard to explain.  It makes sounds that shake my loins. It makes me sound like a better player than I'll ever be. It's essentially an unnamed Trainwreck Express dressed as a 70's Fender Twin with 4 6550's.  I asked Ken to blackface it.  Got it back a week later.  In addition to the amp, he handed me box saying "this is all ****"... it was the output transformer, reverb driver, pre and power tubes and an envelope of about 20 assorted capacitors. He just understood tone like no other.  He found four GE 6550's matched within 2mA of eachother. Then added a switch where I could drop the output to the first two 6550's, ONLY 95 watts :laugh:, which were within 1mA of each other. He was an extraordinary dude when it came to circuits...

Where are you finding snow? 

1 min ago, MitchellNJ said:

Where are you finding snow? 

Other than Montana and Colorado?  You need to draw a line through Burlington and look north.  Other than November, southern VT has been ****.  Too many weekends of 50 and rain.  Whiteface, Sugarbush, and Sugarloaf, with the latter conditions being as good as Big Sky was. That drive to Carrabasset Valley kills me though. VT this week and mixed precip in the forecast. :rolleyes: Snowmass the following. :th:  But this winter... :dismay: