Capt.Castafly

20 Year's ago, a step back in time.

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Yesterday I got this electronic gizmo that I had ordered. I decided to digitize the many old 135 mm. film slides I have for posterity sake.

It's a look down memory lane and just see just how different fishing conditions and our marine environment is today.

At one time there was hundreds of fishermen fishing Barrington Beach during the fall bluefish blitzes. Hardly a peep anymore.

Twenty years ago, never had a problem finding open water blitzes that lasted and seemed to happen for 30 minutes. All trophy size bluefish. Today they are over in seconds, even before you reach the pods. Sit back and enjoy the past.

IMAG0001 (3).JPG

IMAG0004 (2).JPG

IMAG0010 (2).JPG

IMAG0011 (2).JPG

10 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Yesterday I got this electronic gizmo that I had ordered. I decided to digitize the many old 135 mm. film slides I have for posterity sake.

It's a look down memory lane and just see just how different fishing conditions and our marine environment is today.

At one time there was hundreds of fishermen fishing Barrington Beach during the fall bluefish blitzes. Hardly a peep anymore.

Twenty years ago, never had a problem finding open water blitzes that lasted and seemed to happen for 30 minutes. All trophy size bluefish. Today they are over in seconds, even before you reach the pods. Sit back and enjoy the past.

IMAG0001 (3).JPG

IMAG0004 (2).JPG

IMAG0010 (2).JPG

IMAG0011 (2).JPG

Nice stuff, Ray.....I wish I  still had the pictures of the same type of activity.....but from the early 70's...same area...but it would be 15-20 lb bass pushin pogies in mid May; we would use old atom swimmers, white or blue-white, i.e., just before Dannies came out....still see bass pushing pogies like this in Mt Hope Bay and Mid Bay in late spring...so it still happens, but not on the level it did back then...….

21 hours ago, makaha said:

Nice stuff, Ray.....I wish I  still had the pictures of the same type of activity.....but from the early 70's...same area...but it would be 15-20 lb bass pushin pogies in mid May; we would use old atom swimmers, white or blue-white, i.e., just before Dannies came out....still see bass pushing pogies like this in Mt Hope Bay and Mid Bay in late spring...so it still happens, but not on the level it did back then...….

I remember in the 70's Staff Carol was the fish writer for the Journal. Back then there was two editions, the morning and evening. Huge bass would be up into Barrington Beach, Rumstick Point area. He wouldn't post a picture of any striper unless it was 45 lbs. or greater. That's how many were around. Everyone was trolling live herring on lead core line. In those days a schoolie was 18, not inches, but pounds. All the herring runs were very productive. 

21 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I remember in the 70's Staff Carol was the fish writer for the Journal. Back then there was two editions, the morning and evening. Huge bass would be up into Barrington Beach, Rumstick Point area. He wouldn't post a picture of any striper unless it was 45 lbs. or greater. That's how many were around. Everyone was trolling live herring on lead core line. In those days a schoolie was 18, not inches, but pounds. All the herring runs were very productive. 

3-4 colors......:cool:

10 mins ago, makaha said:

3-4 colors......:cool:

Correct!

I made my first recirculating bait tank back than with fast water pick-up and pump. Now fish wells with pumps are standard equipment.

6 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Correct!

I made my first recirculating bait tank back than with fast water pick-up and pump. Now fish wells with pumps are standard equipment.

Yep...made mine with plywood, masonite, then fiber-glassed the whole thing; plexiglass lid, etc.....then upgraded to a Todd Enterprises polyprop unit, i.e., located on Elmwood Ave...………..still have it and use it......

Yep, it used to be great there and sabin point and just about every were. I personally have not seen, a all out bluefish blitz on a  bay beach in years.

I moved to the area in 2006. 2007 was the last time I got into a blitz of good sized blues from shore in that part of the bay.

Drifting clams from the bridges were also a pretty good bet for an early May keeper. Things have changed quite a bit even in just a decade