codfish

Jig heads and soft plastics

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Speaking of jig heads and plastics.  I have used super glue to help keep plastics on jig heads.  Just can’t seem to find a glue product that doesn’t clog after a few weeks rendering it unusable.  Any glue applicators out there that don’t eventually clog up? 

5 mins ago, DZ said:

Speaking of jig heads and plastics.  I have used super glue to help keep plastics on jig heads.  Just can’t seem to find a glue product that doesn’t clog after a few weeks rendering it unusable.  Any glue applicators out there that don’t eventually clog up? 

This is what you want to use. I've been using it for years and works great for a lot of fishing, archery and home needs

loctite gel.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m really a fan of slug-go brand soft plastic bait tails. 
The compound they use has great “looks alive” action.

The only complaint I have is that their softness means they’ll be easily damaged and won’t last as long as some other brands which use a harder compound. 
That’s simply the trade off I’m willing to make for a bait I believe in.

The Jig Head itself doesn’t matter to me as much as the tail.

I use generic bullet head jigs that are home poured. 
Heavy mustad hooks, weights from 1/2 to 3 ounces pretty much covers my needs.

As for super glue, I just use the cheapest stuff I can find. 
I buy the multi pack of super glue which comes with a bunch of small tubes of the stuff.

If I get a few trips out of a single tube I have no complaints; it’s cheap enough.

Edited by valentine

19 mins ago, DZ said:

I keep in beer fridge in the cellar 

1 hour ago, HoldMyBass said:

kettle creek paddle tails with Tinman swim bait heads

Seconding this.  After the kettle creeks tear, a 4" Cocahoe also does a great job.

34 mins ago, DZ said:

I find that the superglue tubs with the screw top and brush applicator seals well.

Dark matter Finback shads paired with Mustad ultrapoint shad heads. Crushed with them last year, won 20 packs in a raffle on black friday. Pretty resilient and definite fish catchers. 

20200204_175517.jpg

47 mins ago, DZ said:

Loctite Gel works for me. I use a lot of jigs/rubber combos. Just a tiny dab does it and it seems not to melt the rubber.

2 hours ago, hydralisk777 said:

Mr. V, how do you rig slug-go? I use pre rigged, but they are more expensive than just the one with no hooks..

Go on youtube and you'll find lots of info on how to do it properly.

There are a number of different ways to do it and I'll suggest you experiment a bit to figure out what works best for you.

You might even develop your own technique.

One thing I'll do when using a jig head is to wrap a few turns of fly/jig tying thread around the hook shank in order to give the superglue something better to hold onto. 

The thread also grips the plastic much better than a smooth, plain hook shank does.

11 hours ago, Basswiper said:

This is what you want to use. I've been using it for years and works great for a lot of fishing, archery and home needs

loctite gel.JPG

Perfect:):)

Will be giving Diezel minnows a shot, Z man finally got a paddle tail right from what I've seen. If all else fails, still have a ton of flukes and hootchie cootchies on stand by