Steve_M

19’ mako info

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I have a 1976 mako 19 and there is a soft spot on the deck near the stern. It’s not real bad but it’s there. My question is do you think it’s worth fixing? Is so how much is the cost of fixing?

soft spot in the deck, plus 44 years old means chances are good the transom should be checked and probably repaired as well. There is plywood in the deck and transom, and water gets in and rots it. Question of whether it's worth fixing depends upon what the boat is worth to you. I second the post above;  check the classic Mako forum. Doing it yourself is a job, but paying to have it done will be expensive.

Is it worth it?  

Depends if you are paying someone, or doing it yourself.

Its not a horrible job all in all.  But like others said, you may be opening the proverbial can of worms

Where do you live?

Hell yeah, it's worth fixing, do you have a garage?

You'll have to check the transom, stringers, probably replace the tank if it hasn't been done.

I like the old Mako's, I restored a 17 a couple years ago and it's a real eye turner search "the mako thread" in the tavern.

Plus, it's a fun winter project when you have nothing else to do.

48 mins ago, Billybob said:

Where do you live?

Hell yeah, it's worth fixing, do you have a garage?

You'll have to check the transom, stringers, probably replace the tank if it hasn't been done.

I like the old Mako's, I restored a 17 a couple years ago and it's a real eye turner search "the mako thread" in the tavern.

Plus, it's a fun winter project when you have nothing else to do.

I’m going to use it this year the way it is and maybe in the winter I will redo it. Do you do this for a living or a real hobby? If so send me a PM and maybe next year I’ll have you do it if you’re interestedI’m going to use it this year the way it is and maybe in the winter I will redo it. Do you do this for a living or a real hobby? If so send me a PM and maybe next year I’ll have you do it if you’re interested

It's just a hobby for me.

I did a Seacraft a long time ago that was really a partial resto.

The Mako was for my buddy, it was his first boat and need a tank, so we put it in my garage and ended up going through the whole thing, but his deck and transom were good.

Gotta love those old classics.

Post a pic of your 19, if you have one.

Mako88.jpg

Mako91.jpg

The boat looks amazing and "garage" ... don't let me started  

mako, would it fit in a regular garage?  Our garage is small, I have to flip mirrors on SUV to get inside. but mostly curious about minimal garage length - how much space I need for 17 Maco with an engine on the trailer? 

Thank you

On February 20, 2020 at 11:24 AM, Billybob said:

It's just a hobby for me.

I did a Seacraft a long time ago that was really a partial resto.

The Mako was for my buddy, it was his first boat and need a tank, so we put it in my garage and ended up going through the whole thing, but his deck and transom were good.

Gotta love those old classics.

Post a pic of your 19, if you have one.

Mako88.jpg

Mako91.jpg

Billyb, I'm considering that Dolphin (?) leaning post for my AS 175 ... plse ask your buddy for his feedback on it. Appreciated, Brad

The leaning post came with the boat, but we had it powdercoated and a new cushion made - it's perfect for the boat, it's small, cooler goes under it, rod holders.

The garage in the pic is the company garage, we put it in there to rig it because my garage was too low for the helm,binnacle, windshield.

My garage is a really old barn like mess - the 17 fit in ok, but we had to take the tongue off the trailer to close the door. I think I might be able to get a 20 in there if I made a dolly and kitty cornered it a little bit, or removed a section of my bench - we'll see if I ever find a 20.

Mako9.jpg

Mako57.jpg

I redid a1974 mako 19.

it was a great project with my nephew

we pulled the tank which means pulling the console and the tank wasn’t that bad.but the plumbing for it was.

my floor was ok but i beefed up the transom

Dam!!  Billy Bob, seriously great work!!!  I wish I had those skills.   Man.....I wish I was closer as I'd be your bitch just to learn how to do that stuff.