ksong

steelhead using new 9' and 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki UL

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

I was wondering how our new 9' and 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki UL rods rated 1/4 oz - 1  1/2 oz perform for steelhead.

So I went up to Niagara to fish steelhead. I was thinking about fishing from the shore, but I opted to fish with a guide as I am not familiar with the area.

When I met the guide yesterday afternoon, he was reluctant to take me out as he got only 2 steelhead in the morning. He said he normally catch 10 -20 steelhead a day. I told him they might turn on in the afternoon.

Fortunately I got two steelhead in 2 hours fishing.  It was cold and I said it is enough for me. 

Frankly steelhead don't fight as hard as sliver salmon for which I used the same rods.

Guide Chris said it was because low water temperature (33 degree).

The rod tips are so sensitive and I can feel everything.  And it has enough backbone for steelhead.

It was too short trip to evaluate the rods for steelhead. But I am happy to have an opportunity to fight steelhead. :)

20200217_151334.jpg

20200217_151518.jpg

20200217_151705.jpg

7 mins ago, Where R All The Fish said:

And the relentless self-promtion continues...

can you point out beter rod for same price ?

i like hes promotion.

14 mins ago, Where R All The Fish said:

Yes, I test rods and show the pictures and video.

If you don't like it, just ignore and don't participate as all my post are for testing rods. 

1 hour ago, Where R All The Fish said:

the guy is a sanctioned advertiser on this site.  many people learn from his input

bull$h!t negative posts from new people are not really helpful

obviously you have not met K. Song. I spent time with him a few years ago at the Boxboro show. A wealth of information and very down to earth.

And NO I don't own any black hole but have several canal buddies that do and they are very happy with the performance of the rods.

3 hours ago, WorcBoy said:

I obviously you have not met K. Song. I spent time with him a few years ago at the Boxboro show. A wealth of information and very down to earth.

And NO I don't own any black hole but have several canal buddies that do and they are very happy with the performance of the rods.

I think he knows me from other sites . I have very few haters, probably out of jealousy   and probably he is one of them.  The first post here is to criticize me and I knew he is a hater. 

Thanks for posting Kil - the winter is killing me. 

I was going to go on a tangent about the other post, but its not worth the time. I like what you do and am happy with your products and service. keep it up.

I broke 8'6" UL rod yesterday. Sinker got stuck at the bottom and the rod bent sharply. I was surprised it broke as I caught at least 20 silver salmon with it in Alaska.

The rod weighs only 4 oz and I guess the wall is too thin. 

We are going to redesign the 8'6" rod. That is why we need to test the rods before selling. :)

Nice job.  Thanks for sharing.  I have to travel to Buffalo for work every now and again.  I never thought of fishing.  Next time up I need to try for some steelhead or salmon.

8 hours ago, snag777 said:

can you point out beter rod for same price ?

i like hes promotion.

I am very happy with my 9'6 Suzuki. Price is not bad for it.

I have not caught large on it but it is a blast to use.

32 mins ago, PlugDoctor said:

Nice job.  Thanks for sharing.  I have to travel to Buffalo for work every now and again.  I never thought of fishing.  Next time up I need to try for some steelhead or salmon.

Fishing spot is only a few minutes from the dock.  And I heard they catch a lot of steelhead from the shore.  If I can find time, I'd like explore shore fishing there.

6 hours ago, ksong said:

I broke 8'6" UL rod yesterday. Sinker got stuck at the bottom and the rod bent sharply. I was surprised it broke as I caught at least 20 silver salmon with it in Alaska.

The rod weighs only 4 oz and I guess the wall is too thin. 

We are going to redesign the 8'6" rod. That is why we need to test the rods before selling. :)

Atta boy kil....... we need these tests perfected ....... 

Any timeline as to when the UL rods will hit the market?

Keep up the good work!

3 hours ago, PlugDoctor said:

Some monster brown trout in the river also my dad caught one that had to be over 15 pounds last winter

IMG_20190408_093241_052.jpg