Gwrodzhi

Tarpon tandem rod holder suggestions

13 posts in this topic

Last year I bought a tarpon tandem kayak to use for mostly paddling and some fishing in the backwaters. However I have an issue with the rod holders put on the rails, I cannot paddle semi aggressively without hitting the rod no matter how I seem to adjust the racks, or the person in the front will hit it. Has anyone found a system that works. 

You might be able to put a track in the middle of your legs if that works out better for you, keep the rails cleaner. But I think what will help you is to get a riser, I know Scotty sells them for maybe $12 that work with their units. That will give you more space, I know it did for me and keeps the reel up more as well.

2 hours ago, Gwrodzhi said:

Will have to check out the riser option. It just gets frustrating fighting wind/ tide and hitting the road every other stroke. Thanks

Keep it in the water ... you'll have less frustration ;)

3 hours ago, Gwrodzhi said:

Will have to check out the riser option. It just gets frustrating fighting wind/ tide and hitting the road every other stroke. Thanks

Yeah, Look at the Scotty #259 Rod holder extender and Scott #429 the gear head extender adapter....I got mine from the kayak fishing store, he was the one who suggested them to me

but you will need a track to mount them on but worth it IMO

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had the same setup on my old Wilderness tandem. To have unrestrictive paddling you’ll have to  bend and reach to grab a rod. It works paddling the Hobie too.

B1F0018C-6A28-425B-A9DB-58C5C6BFFD86.jpeg

5B231902-A9A4-43BC-99F7-3B653DA178DE.jpeg

Edited by cheech

I would rather have to reach than hit the rid with the paddle. The only issue I see is that if I extend them forward my girlfriend will have a hard time paddling. Will definitely buy the extenders and play around with it.  Much different then my Hobie and will take some time to get used to. 

You're not trolling, right?. sometimes I don't even put a rod holder on. I lay them at my feet if I'm switching a lot or keep them in the flush mounts behind the seat.

I am usually just casting 95% of time if not more. Anyone ever have any issues installing flush mount rod holders in their kayak. I don’t really love the idea of drilling 2” holes in the kayak.