passiton

Bargain Boat Rod Suggestions

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I’m taking a group of Boy Scouts into the Keys in July.  I need to add to my gear in order to outfit two boats we’re renting for a few days.   We’re targeting small to mid sized game for the most part (snapper, jacks, ‘cudas), with a few hours spent chasing sharks. 
 Any suggestions on reasonably priced spinning rods for a trip like this?  Am I crazy to think I could get away with Ugly Sticks for everything except the sharking rods?

12 hours ago, passiton said:

I’m taking a group of Boy Scouts into the Keys in July.  I need to add to my gear in order to outfit two boats we’re renting for a few days.   We’re targeting small to mid sized game for the most part (snapper, jacks, ‘cudas), with a few hours spent chasing sharks. 
 Any suggestions on reasonably priced spinning rods for a trip like this?  Am I crazy to think I could get away with Ugly Sticks for everything except the sharking rods?

While I would take a Tsunami Classic Series at $69.99 over an Ugly Stik at $69.99 for personal use, because you're dealing with younger people and experience levels can vary, you may want to go with the Ugly. Fiberglass definitely holds up better around inexperienced anglers. The rods will be fine for snappers, jacks, and cudas, and if you do get sharked, you could have some fun. I would also go with a slightly stiffer rod for "all round" use. I'd personally opt for like a 10-20lb line class rod, but the model below has just a bit more backbone.

Look at the Ugly Stik Tiger - Model # USTB1230S701. Will do fine for mangroves, yellowtail, and muttons, and will handle any crevalle jack or cuda you run across. 

Look at Ande torunament 7ft surf rods.  I use them on my boat with 6500 reels.   Touch big for snappers, but will work with sharks too.

I have 4 of them on my boat for stripers.  They double as a pier  / jetty rod too.

tickle - direct has them for $38 each.

I'd send an email to tsunami or penn about your group and situation, they might cut ya a deal.....

Thanks gents. 

I don’t mind spending the money.   These boys will already be using a lot of gear that’s been donated by SOL members over the years.  

On 2/17/2020 at 10:50 PM, sandworm said:

doesn't the charter boat have rods for rent?

No charter:  we’re renting center consoles.   I’m taking them snorkeling and fishing both days we have the boats.