ThrowinPlugs

Let's Talk sunglasses

Rate this topic

80 posts in this topic

So I'm in the market for some new shades for the summer. Not looking to break the bank, I've had tons of Oakley's, smith optics etc and they always get beat up/lost/destroyed one way or another so I'd like to keep the cost lower (under $100). Must be polarized. Whatcha like?

2nd on Costas. I work on the water so sunglasses are an important tool. Go with glass lenses. Green mirror are my favorite for all around light conditions, and they’re excellent for sight fishing. 

Sorry, can not help......I'm a Maui Jim guy and have been for years. I spend several months on boat and a good lens is important to me......unfortunately they are not cheap. I also am not careless with mine like you suggest you are........my current pair is over three years old and still going string. Maui Jims are cheap if you take care of them.........just an opinion.

1 min ago, beret said:

Sorry, can not help......I'm a Maui Jim guy and have been for years. I spend several months on boat and a good lens is important to me......unfortunately they are not cheap. I also am not careless with mine like you suggest you are........my current pair is over three years old and still going string. Maui Jims are cheap if you take care of them.........just an opinion.

Second the Maui Jim's. Shop around and you can find a sale now and then. I've always been sensitive to light refraction in sunglasses and not experienced that with my three MJ pairs.

The problem in dropping to the lower level glasses, as it usually means a drop from glass to plastic, which usually greatly affects the amount of UV protection, and clarity you get. There are still some decent glasses that will last a season or so, but require some protective handling and storage, to guard against scratching and just general clouding, which plastic usually does over time.

That said, check out Typhoon Optics. They are excellent glasses for the money, and i really liked mine. They are very comfortable, offer quite a few styles, and are built for fisherman. Another option, is some of the Strike King glasses. They are around $30, but will surprise you with the quality. I don’t think you can compare to Costa’s, but they hold a hefty price tag, but are worth every penny.

You can find sub-$100 Costas on sites that specialize in older styles or models. I found a pair of Blackfins for $99 on Sierra Trading Post's website. Before that, I wore Typhoon Mariners for years. Excellent polarization for the price, but they pick up fingerprints and smudges like nobody's business.

I’ve been using Suncloud for so many years, more than I want to count. If I was to guess, 30 plus years. They are made by Smith optics. Reasonable priced.

i had a pair that the lens surface started to delaminate. These were many years old and they gave me a coupon to their site for a new pair, no further questions asked. 

I’ve been a clearance shopper for costa and smiths @ Joma shop or steep and cheap for several years.  Have several pair of both and can’t say I prefer one brand over the other.  Both makers get my approval. 

I have 4 different pairs of Costas.... my wife has 3 ...I always  shop for the last year/discontinued  color scheme and Paid between $70-125 for each pair 

Native or spy are not to be overlooked...i have two costas but if im beach fishing i wont use them because the sand scratches the lenses i dont care what people say...costas scratch...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Another vote for Costas. I've been wearing them exclusively for about 10 years now. I don't think I'll ever buy another brand. They can be found used in good condition for under 100.

Edited by chitala383