Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

If it ain't broke, don't touch it!

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So there is this saying if it isn't broken, don't touch it. And this phrase is always true.

I was putting some WD40 on a squeaky door in the kitchen and next to it it's a pantry. It's been years since I touch this thing but the door is squeaky too. So I thought to just spray some WD40 in the hinge so it doesn't sqeak.... 

Once I did that the stupid won't hold itself close (since my house is not balance). The door now would come ajar about 3" open.... 

What can I do to make this close again? A lock? Screw? 

IMG_20200127_203744466.jpg

IMG_20200127_203756397.jpg

IMG_20200127_203737893.jpg

IMG_20200127_203723833.jpg

Edited by foxfai

Yeah, magnets will help. 

Also, WD 40 IS NOT a lubricant. Never intended to be used that way. If you need lube on a hinge or doorknob/lock, use Teflon spray. 

It's opening because the left hinge side is out of plumb, tilting out at the top. If you really want to get into it, you need to move the pivot bracket at the bottom left out a touch so the left side is plumb. Use a plumb bob if you got one, or go too much if in doubt, so it'll tend to close.

My bedroom door will swing open if it's not shut all the way after I lubed it. Grrr. Old houses...

Edited by gellfex

15 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Also, WD 40 IS NOT a lubricant. Never intended to be used that way. If you need lube on a hinge or doorknob/lock, use Teflon spray

Or powdered graphite.....this is especially true for locks, as things like WD40 just gums up the tumblers.

Making it plumb can be as easy as putting a few smaller shims (small washers or cardboard can work) under the bottom hinge. Plug the old screw holes with matches/ toothpicks before resetting the screws. 10-15 minute fix...excluding the requisite hour long trip to the hardware store

The magnet idea is pretty clever.  Could recess some rare earth ones...

2 hours ago, cheech said:

loosen the set screw on the top pivot, tweak the door and see if you can get it to close.

Yeah, that should have been said. I was assuming he had already tried it, but that was not clear.

9 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Or powdered graphite.....this is especially true for locks, as things like WD40 just gums up the tumblers.

Showing yer age now Stevie... lol 

Nobody uses graphite powder anymore. 

2 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Huh? Graphite doesnt run. It sticks and lasts for eons. Puff/wipe/done. 

Steve is spot on regarding graphite. Its durable as heck blended with epoxy on friction surfaces. I go through a few pounds of it a year. Im 46. 

Its the "safest" and longest lasting lube for lock pins. 

Edited by FEW3

14 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

We do at the bank, exclusively. But we have a ton of locks, including those on a few hundred safe deposit boxes.

17 hours ago, FEW3 said:

Huh? Graphite doesnt run. It sticks and lasts for eons. Puff/wipe/done. 

Steve is spot on regarding graphite. Its durable as heck blended with epoxy on friction surfaces. I go through a few pounds of it a year. Im 46. 

Its the "safest" and longest lasting lube for lock pins. 

4 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

We do at the bank, exclusively. But we have a ton of locks, including those on a few hundred safe deposit boxes.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I still carry graphite powder in my locksmith box. But that only gets used in older locks. Most of the newer locks I work on are coated with some kinda silicone or teflon or something that acts as a magnet for graphite and just gums things up. There's a new spray that I use, can't remember the name and the box is in the truck, but it's not a "puff" of graphite. 

I liken it to when someone uses WD-40 ( to circle back ) on the floor track of their slider. It's the exact opposite/wrong thing to use in that application. Acts as a magnet for dust and debris. Use Pledge furniture polish on those things and you will have no problem.

6 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Also, Steve, your bank locks are not subjected to any weather at all. Just saying.

This is true.....

Main reason I personally still have powdered graphite is that I used it on drag washers in y Baitrunners.....

On 2/18/2020 at 9:12 AM, rathrbefishn said:

Making it plumb can be as easy as putting a few smaller shims (small washers or cardboard can work) under the bottom hinge. Plug the old screw holes with matches/ toothpicks before resetting the screws. 10-15 minute fix...excluding the requisite hour long trip to the hardware store

The magnet idea is pretty clever.  Could recess some rare earth ones...

On 2/17/2020 at 11:23 PM, gellfex said:

It's opening because the left hinge side is out of plumb, tilting out at the top. If you really want to get into it, you need to move the pivot bracket at the bottom left out a touch so the left side is plumb. Use a plumb bob if you got one, or go too much if in doubt, so it'll tend to close.

My bedroom door will swing open if it's not shut all the way after I lubed it. Grrr. Old houses...

Ok... so I went to look into making it plumb and running into some issue.

I have access to a screw on the bottom left hinge that can tilt it more left and more right on the bottom part. I've tried moving it left or right and wont make a difference on the door that still comes ajar. 

The top only has a big plastic that I cant see or access to moving it. Most likely I will have to remove the whole door to look at it then try to find out how it gets move to plumb it. 

SIM, I have graphite lubricants. I learned it (probably from here) a while back using it for locks. I just didn't know it will be effective for other applications. 

I might try the magnet idea as it's simple enough and I don't have to mess with the door more and break things ( as I usually do)...

Thank you all again for the suggestions