Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello All, 

I wonder which spinning, multi piece, travel rod is better:

1.) (V-joints ) Tip over butt

Or

2.) Spigot ferrules  

Any advantages or disadvantages between two systems. For the 9ft to 12ft long rod. 

I am sure there is a good reason to use one or another…… 

Which rod should I buy?

Thanks, 

Rick

Edited by Mahigo

Have no idea what a V-joint is, first time I heard it in 40 years of doing this. Tip over butt and tip in butt ferrules I understand. That said, it's 6 of one, a half dozen of another. Spigots work just as good as the above, you need to do a few extra wraps to reinforce both sides of the blank is all.

2 hours ago, spoonplugger1 said:

Have no idea what a V-joint is, first time I heard it in 40 years of doing this. Tip over butt and tip in butt ferrules I understand. That said, it's 6 of one, a half dozen of another. Spigots work just as good as the above, you need to do a few extra wraps to reinforce both sides of the blank is all.

spoonplugger1,

I thought about the tip over butt.....

Thank you for pointing out my mistake. 

I was pretty sure the tip over butt is a V-joint connection....

There’s always something new to learn.

Edited by Mahigo

On 2/18/2020 at 6:32 PM, spoonplugger1 said:

Have no idea what a V-joint is, first time I heard it in 40 years of doing this.

V joint is Daiwa speak for a ferrule construction that (apparently) flexes at the same rate as the blank at the joint reducing flat spots

vjoint.jpg

Edited by ZAFisher

The non-metal ferrules of all designs have been doing that since their inception, Diawa thinking they have re-invented the wheel is just silly. Things have advanced in the last 20 years to where over half the blank manufacturers out the will tell you that you don't even need the thread wrap their ferrules any longer, and haven't needed to for some time.

Edited by spoonplugger1

19 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

V joint is Daiwa speak for a ferrule construction that (apparently) flexes at the same rate as the blank at the joint reducing flat spots

vjoint.jpg

ZAFisher,

I am not quite sure about the terminology with building the fishing rods that’s why I went to internet and found the Daiwa method you are showing, V-Joint.

After reading I got lost and decided to ask our friends “ROD Builders”, to help me with choosing the right travel rod connections for the future. I thought that would be very easy for them…..

In December and January I was in Hawaii and I lost my 3top section of brand new Shimano travel rod, after casting 2oz lure less than 10 times I heard loud crack and half of the rod ended up in the ocean.  

That was only a 12ft travel rod I had. I do have a Penn Legion 9ft and Ioda 8.5ft and have been using them for 2 years with no problem, they are very well built. I need to get something for distance of course must be travel one. 

Now, what do you think about two types of the rod section connection:

Spigot ferrules vs tip over butt joint? Which one is stronger and more flexible…….or may be other things that I am not aware of it? 

Thank you,

Mahigo,

I've used rods with spigot, tip into butt and tip over butt. They all work.

High end popping rods use tip into butt based on strength being that the joint is basically just above the foregrip

The rod that broke, did it break at the joint?

Was the joint properly seated?

I remember you talking about the rod, but cannot recall the model, which one is it?

10 casts and a break sounds like a factory fault; unless you were doing something really silly.

The long rods have always had problems with ferrules loosening, the good thing is they also found solutions. The spey anglers with the 14 ft. rods have used wraps of electrical tape over the ferrules to ensure they stay put, a loose ferrule on any rod be it from the torsional forces loosening it or a poor fit from the factory can blow up a ferrule quickly. I take the time to check my ferrules on travel and.fly rods pretty regularly as a habit, last thing I need is to be someplace far away, remote, or expensive to get to and have an avoidable equipment failure. Had a ferrule literally tear out of a blank once because it got loose. Closest fly shop was 400 miles and two, or three days travel by bush plane. Also why I never just bring one rod, was able to finish the trip. In the scheme of things, spare rods and reels are cheaper than lost fishing time on trips that cost thousands of dollars.

13 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Mahigo,

I've used rods with spigot, tip into butt and tip over butt. They all work.

High end popping rods use tip into butt based on strength being that the joint is basically just above the foregrip

The rod that broke, did it break at the joint?

Was the joint properly seated?

I remember you talking about the rod, but cannot recall the model, which one is it?

10 casts and a break sounds like a factory fault; unless you were doing something really silly.

3 hours ago, spoonplugger1 said:

The long rods have always had problems with ferrules loosening, the good thing is they also found solutions. The spey anglers with the 14 ft. rods have used wraps of electrical tape over the ferrules to ensure they stay put, a loose ferrule on any rod be it from the torsional forces loosening it or a poor fit from the factory can blow up a ferrule quickly. I take the time to check my ferrules on travel and.fly rods pretty regularly as a habit, last thing I need is to be someplace far away, remote, or expensive to get to and have an avoidable equipment failure. Had a ferrule literally tear out of a blank once because it got loose. Closest fly shop was 400 miles and two, or three days travel by bush plane. Also why I never just bring one rod, was able to finish the trip. In the scheme of things, spare rods and reels are cheaper than lost fishing time on trips that cost thousands of dollars.

ZAFisher,

spoonplugger1,

That was Shimano Exage BX S.T.C. 12’ - 3lb Long Range, 6piece rod. It doesn’t look like a not bad rod.

I bought 2 identical rods in Europe, one for my friend and the second for my self. The friend’s rod is doing ok and he is a big man 6’5”, he bent this rod very well but I am a short guy…. European rods have 2 years warranty, but North America has 1 year. 

Definitely was a factory fault especially since this happened after a few casts of 2oz lure, this rod is capable to do much heavier lures for sure. I checked all connections after each cast, cause the rod was new at that time and did not found any loose connection. I did normal casting lures on this rod and boooomm, done. 

For the 2 months trip to Hawaii I brought Plano Jumbo Airliner case with 6 other rods in it, more than I usually do when I go to Mexico taking 2 or 3 long rods, just for Rooster fishing….

I brought the Shimano Exage rod with the other rods to test it to see how it performs to compare with the Century, but I was unable to do so in that short time. Right now I have 3 bottom sections and waiting for Shimano to reply to me. 

Yes you are correct with the high end rods, my Century FMA 13’ tip is going into butt. Thank you for pointing it out.

I am assuming the rod broke at the joint, but I am not sure about that. I never found the missing 3 top sections, I called my friends they came with snorkelling equipment but we found nothing and in the afternoon there was big waves and we could not do any thing. Next day we spent a few hours with the locals but we could not locate it. They found a lots of lures hanging on the corrals. The bottom 3 section are in mint condition even the top ferrule has no damage or any marks on it.  

Yes any rod even the Century rods you have to check the connection from time to time cause the can get loose…. 

I am using the Century FMA and Century SP for a long time (almost 10 years) and this has never happened.

Also I have a Penn Legion 9’ - 5piece travel and works good and I have other European travel rods and they are as good as Penn. 

The good thing is I had other rods to continue my fishing in Hawaii.