Flips

What’s your favorite rig for striper?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Last summer I’ve been using a fish finder rig but when casting I can’t throw far because it helicopters to much when throwing chunks... what are some better rigs you guys recommend to use? I want to try making some pulley rigs or high lows, but don’t know if they work on striper.

For the last couple of years I have been using a Pulley Rig for most of my fishing. With this type of rig there is no helicoptering of the hook holding the bait. The hook is attached to a clip and then the hook is released when it hits the water...  

Posted (edited) · Report post

^^^^^  The Answer   ^^^^^

The longer the leader, the bigger helicopter you have. With a 36" leader you can be flying a Huey...:eek:

Snell a hook with 60 - 80 pound test mono leader. Tie a quality barrel swivel too it; 3 - 8" long. From your rod get your tag end,  I use a mono shock leader at one and a half times the rod length, with three wraps around a conventional reel using 50 - 60 pound test.  Pass it thru a quality fish finder, ( not cheap plastic ) run a plastic bead on the leader and tie it off to your barrel swivel.

Using a moderate action rod; 11' minimum, 12' recommended out front, will give you distance, and clearance to avoid wave slap from the surf.

Tight lines

Lou T

Edited by Lou T

Lou, by the question I’d take it he’s not a conventional caster, but I’m sure you knew that as well. 
The correct answer is as you stated. No more than 8 inches. Do not buy the store bought rigs, most are cheep and not with quality hardware like sinker slides, mono and hooks. Learn to rig your own with quality components. Don’t be alarmed by the short leader length the fish will be able to pull the slack from the line, the hole idea of the fish finder rig. 

13 mins ago, delaware surfman said:

Lou, by the question I’d take it he’s not a conventional caster, but I’m sure you knew that as well. 
The correct answer is as you stated. No more than 8 inches. Do not buy the store bought rigs, most are cheep and not with quality hardware like sinker slides, mono and hooks. Learn to rig your own with quality components. Don’t be alarmed by the short leader length the fish will be able to pull the slack from the line, the hole idea of the fish finder rig. 

Wasn't sure, that's why I made it clear, I was rigging up a conventional.

If that's the case, do not make three raps on a spinning reel. You will more than likely end up with guide raps; cursing me in the middle of the night.

We all got to start somewhere.

Lou T

17 mins ago, irishexit said:

Does conventional or spinning make a difference, in regards to the rig ?

Thanks

In regards to using a long shock leader; yes. But I have run across plug casters that do, with the use of over sized guides. 

My tuna plugging rod has over sized guides. Even still, with the use of a wind on. I'm holding the braid with my finger, and the fluorocarbon leader starts after that.

Lou T

4 hours ago, delaware surfman said:

We were using store bought ones... we started last year so we just went off what locals said, and eventually just bought them. But this year we will definitely buy the supplies, way better in the end from quality and price. 

Edited by Flips

Not the greatest artist but what’s your guys opinion on this rig? I made it real quick it’s just a fish finder with a breakaway clip on the slider, so if the weight gets stuck it breaks the mono and keeps the rig. I lost so many rigs last year to rocks taking my rig so what do you guys think?

7A91299B-4CD8-4240-978E-3F190A0A8968.jpeg

Edited by Flips