Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IsmailG

Went to the museum today

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Kid has been asking to go to a museum past couple weeks, so we decided to take him to the Natural history museum in NYC today. Been at least 25 years since the last time I've been there. I remember my favorite part being the medieval section with the armor and swords, also the Viking stuff. My son was psyched to see that kind of stuff too. Well guess what, there isn't one got damn exhibit dedicated to anything European in that entire place. There is an entire floor dedicated to Africa, South America, Asia, and plains Indians, but nothing about early Europeans. There was cool stuff and we had a good time, but I think it's bull**** that fail to include anything Roman, Greek, Nordic, Germanic etc. Last time I ever go there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They didn't even have anything on ancient Egypt! The amount of south American and African stuff that took up space was absurd, and no one was even lookin, just waking by

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was the exibit. You get tickets. It was like 1980 when I saw King Tut exibit there..

The exibits change. The muesam has their permanent exibits but they change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its a best practice that valuable and sensitive collections are not on display for too long and returned to the safety of long term storage where conditions are ideal for their longevity. research, restoration and curation are all part of what happens when they are not on display, all vital functions of a museum that are not always apparent to the public.

 

museums also loan stuff out to other institutions as part or traveling exhibits.

 

the american musuem of natural history has some of the largest natural history collections in the world and is one of the best funded, revered museums you can visit. they're definitely not perfect, but they do a pretty ****ing good job all things considerd, imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you went to the wrong museum.  The "Good Armor" and "Egypt" stuff IS NOT in the American Museum of Natural History, but in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  One goes to the AMNH to see the dinosaurs, and MMA to see the armor.  Tut exhibit way back when was at the Met, not the American Museum

 

From the Met's website...

 

https://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-met/curatorial-departments/arms-and-armor

 

Edited by Roccus7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, IsmailG said:

Kid has been asking to go to a museum past couple weeks, so we decided to take him to the Natural history museum in NYC today. Been at least 25 years since the last time I've been there. I remember my favorite part being the medieval section with the armor and swords, also the Viking stuff. My son was psyched to see that kind of stuff too. Well guess what, there isn't one got damn exhibit dedicated to anything European in that entire place. There is an entire floor dedicated to Africa, South America, Asia, and plains Indians, but nothing about early Europeans. There was cool stuff and we had a good time, but I think it's bull**** that fail to include anything Roman, Greek, Nordic, Germanic etc. Last time I ever go there.

See above post...

 

Looking for this??

 

 

arms and armor.jpg

Edited by Roccus7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, you went to the wrong museum .

The Met has all of the stuff you’re looking for.

You’ll need the better part of a day to see it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you went to the wrong museum.  The "Good Armor" and "Egypt" stuff IS NOT in the American Museum of Natural History, but in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  One goes to the AMNH to see the dinosaurs, and MMA to see the armor.  Tut exhibit way back when was at the Met, not the American Museum

 

From the Met's website...

 

https://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-met/curatorial-departments/arms-and-armor

 

22 mins ago, valentine said:

Yup, you went to the wrong museum .

The Met has all of the stuff you’re looking for.

You’ll need the better part of a day to see it all.

:laugh: well there's that too. i thought it was kind of odd that he was talking about so much cultural and human artifacts, but not having been to amnh in about 15 years myself i didn't remember everything they had either. place is beyond huge.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the AMNH four years ago with the grandkids.   Beyond amazing.   They had a butterfly exhibit at the time with actual live butterflies from all over the world flittering around you.   It was pretty cool and the kids loved the whole museum experience.

 

Haven't been to the Met in years and years but it had great artifact and cultural stuff from what I can remember.  Definitely a must to visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

How the hell can they fill a whole level with African stuff? 

 

 

 

once you take egypt out of the equation and it's just a lot of mud and dirt, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well damn. Last place I'd thought armor and weapons would be was the art museum. I still find it weird there was nothing remotely European on display. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, IsmailG said:

Well damn. Last place I'd thought armor and weapons would be was the art museum. I still find it weird there was nothing remotely European on display. 

I'm sure they had a Neanderthal exhibit. :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.