Steve_M

Dry suit boots

18 posts in this topic

Any neoprene wetsuit booties will work fine but the soles will get worn out if you're walking around in them. I'm thinking of upgrading the mare's dive boots for the thicker sole because of this. Also think about ordering a size or two up so they fit over whatever layers you have under your dry suit.

I'll also mention I don't like neoprene booties in very cold weather because they absorb and hold water, I much prefer rubber muck boots if conditions allow for it.

If your drysuit had integral booties, the best thing is to wear in the cold is thick socks inside and Teva sandals over them. When you wear neoprene boots you compress anything under and lose the insulation. The Tevas let the socks be uncompressed like a down jacket.

Like others mention,  hard sole dive boots  work just fine, especially when you have to take a trek across sand, keeps sand, etc. out away from the  bootie material... i use Mares flexa DS 5mm boots exclusively.

Can't really comment on the sandal thing,  I've heard complaints of sand & rocks getting under your feet with beach launches and wearing away the booties over time... 

Imo, Any time that bootie is exposed to the environment you risk possible damage,  scuffing your feet against rocks, sticks or whatever you didn't notice coming in contact with them while your walking along.

Replacing dry suit  booties can be pricey...

Posted (edited) · Report post

I also recommend wet suit boots with hard soles. I suggest a boot fit on the wider size.  Bare and Mares are two with a wide fit. I have the Bare Ultra now going into year two.  Hopefully it lasts. I prefer 6mm and up boots.

D77F5D13-D813-4526-8660-B8B4DB14F6F4.png

E6C51104-97E0-4F16-A8C7-3EE853EA3EDC.png

Edited by The Riddler

i got a pair of hard bottom neoprene boot fro AKC for around $20 and they are better than my NRS boots. I wear a size 10 so i ordered a 13 wide to allow room for socks and blood flow. Iv'e been wearing them the past 2 years with temps as low as the the teens with no issues.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, BillZ said:

Can't really comment on the sandal thing,  I've heard complaints of sand & rocks getting under your feet with beach launches and wearing away the booties over time... 

Imo, Any time that bootie is exposed to the environment you risk possible damage,  scuffing your feet against rocks, sticks or whatever you didn't notice coming in contact with them while your walking along.

Replacing dry suit  booties can be pricey...

My experience has been with the latex booties, they're tougher than you think, I can't speak for the packcloth ones. In years of whitewater paddling where you're stumbling over rocks and branches launching, taking out, scouting and portaging, I only tore a couple, I think one was on my footpeg, and they're easy to repair if you have some latex from an old gasket and some Aquaseal.  And replacement latex socks are $20 a pair, I have a pair sitting here that I need to glue on my drybibs to replace the stock gaskets.

Another benefit I forgot to mention is that Tevas don't compress the circulation out of your feet like a neoprene bootie can, especially if you're wearing anything under them.

Edited by gellfex

NRS booties for me, i only have a bout 15 trips on them so far and they seem fine, comfy and keep sand out. My feet get pretty cold in them just wearing cotton socks but 2 pairs of wool socks and i was good at 40 degrees.

4 hours ago, gellfex said:

My experience has been with the latex booties, they're tougher than you think

Another benefit I forgot to mention is that Tevas don't compress the circulation out of your feet like a neoprene bootie can, especially if you're wearing anything under them.

Not sure many guys are using dry suits with latex booties to fish out of but Isn't latex restrictive by nature?

Looked up replacement latex booties, I'm assuming this is what you're describing (or similar) shows a fella standing there in the product advertised....... looks pretty restrictive even without boots or sandals & forget about any layering under that

Input?

pics?

Screenshot_20200217-165028_Chrome.jpg.b5ceff8210a0fd5f33e079f9c2a2e038.jpg

19 mins ago, BillZ said:

Not sure many guys are using dry suits with latex booties to fish out of but Isn't latex restrictive by nature?

Looked up replacement latex booties, I'm assuming this is what you're describing (or similar) shows a fella standing there in the product advertised....... looks pretty restrictive even without boots or sandals & forget about any layering under that

Input?

pics?

I guess it depends on the size, right? Here's my new booties with a sweat sock under. I have plenty of room, plus latex stretches WAY easier than 5 or 6mm neoprene. Its like comparing yoga pants to tight new nonstretch jeans. These are sized 12-13.5 and I normally wear a 10 xx-wide to an 11 on me fat feet.

5e4b154780c0a_bootie1.PNG.95c65f03713d4aa7d231884439fe8f44.PNG5e4b15460aab7_bootie2.PNG.cd5d015b8e20e5b57a219bea28200da7.PNG

You mentioned using the teva sandals back in your white water days.... have you ever used something else or was that the typical set up most guys used?

Thanks for all your responses. Last year I had a cheap pair of neoprene wadding boots. They were so tight I had to take them off. I don’t want to go through that again.