Snook or Striped Bass?

Rate this topic

Koloa

Not aware of taste of a snook. But, saying that the rest all goes to the snook. After catching both in my life, size for size if a bass and snook of equal size were to be compared side by side, the snook would drown the bass. Given the bass grows bigger than the snook, the snook of reasonable size would still drown a bass. Snook doesn’t stop fighting. 

Interesting, I'm pretty much in the "Ain't much of a difference on all counts" school for these questions...  I always considered the snook a "Southern Striper with only a single stripe"..

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

49 mins ago, Koloa said:

Which fish tastes better? Fights harder? Harder to catch? I would like to hear opinions.

The taste I think is the same. 

Snook, in BRAZIL the name is ROBALO, fight hard, on my opinion is more fast of stripe.

They bite equals. 

Schoolie snook are just about the same as schoolie bass in terms of strength.  They’re a little less likely to be landed all else being equal because of their frequent jumps and super sharp gill plates.

Once you’re up to about slot size and bigger,  snook definitely have the advantage in fighting ability.  On top of making more powerful runs they will jump (not as frequently as the smaller ones) but also have a habit of beelining towards any and all structure.   Bass can lock you up in structure but not as deliberately as a snook.

Hooking snook isn’t all that difficult once you’ve figured out the bite.  They’re sort of a mix between striped bass and largemouth, you’ll find them ambushing prey in heavy current but can also find them tucked away in vegetation in stagnant backwaters.  They do school up like bass but you won’t really clean up on a school like you could with bass.  My running joke is if you pull up to a dock light at night with 20 snook in it, you can hook one or maybe 2 and then you gotta ease up on that spot for some time.  If you pull up to a docklight with 20 bass in it you can land 25.  Snook just spook way easier than their northern brethren.

Edited by bbfish

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Snook may be a bit more fun to catch because they jump far more than bass.  I don't think either one compares to a red drum, a/k/a channel bass, for tenacity and pulling power.

Brian,in all my years bassing I have not had a bass jump clear of the water during a fight.

I have had them clear the water just after hitting a surface swimmer and thrashing and coming out of the water seemingly by accident but,never had one jump with a purpose like a gator or LMB does.

you?

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

11 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Brian,in all my years bassing I have not had a bass jump clear of the water during a fight.

I have had them clear the water just after hitting a surface swimmer and thrashing and coming out of the water seemingly by accident but,never had one jump with a purpose like a gator or LMB does.

you?

HH

Personally yes I have had them jump but it is usually on the hook set and extremely rare and only with smaller schoolie bass. Don’t know if it was on purpose or not but it has happened and was surprising each time.

20 hours ago, Dave T. said:

Personally yes I have had them jump but it is usually on the hook set and extremely rare and only with smaller schoolie bass. Don’t know if it was on purpose or not but it has happened and was surprising each time.

that has been my experience as well.

have you ever seen one jump clearly on purpose like a gator or LMB?

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

I like this thread about Linesiders.

Both fish taste the same in that they have a nice thick chunk of white fish meat as part of a fillet. No oil really ... just primo white meat.

And both fish like / can be found near structure and when hooked, will use structure to their advantage.

But on the take, there's a noticeable difference. Often Striped Bass can and will just sip in / suck in a lure. And when hooked  they'll just dog on down (given any depth of the water column). Sometimes they carry on like they are not even hooked. Not all the time ... but enough that I'm commenting on it. 

My experience with Snook is different. When they take a lure (or a fly) ... there's the initial hook set ... and then BAM!!, they are off like lightning. More like a Bluefish take ... but definitely more energetic then many a Striper take.

Love the Linesiders ...north or south .. they make fishing FUN!

RockfishOn!! :cool:

10 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

that has been my experience as well.

have you ever seen ne jump clearly on purpose like a gator or LMB?

HH

I've had a few fish (striped bass) clear the water after the hookset, but all of them were within 10 seconds of the initial hook up.   Its almost always in very shallow water and sub-keeper sized fish.   My theory is that theyre not intentionally attempting to jump like a snook or freshwater bass, but are just disoriented and spazzing out after the hookset and go into overdrive and if theyre facing up, well they're coming out of the water.  That being said for me its still very, very rare, if I had to put a number on it I would probably guess it at 1 in 500 fish in shallow water.  Only once have I seen a good fish, in deep water, clear the water during the fight.  It was April a few years in about 20 feet of water plugging off the boat, fish took a GRS surface giant, dove to the bottom for a few seconds then came to the top and cleared the water twice doing headshakes like a tarpon, turned out to be 25 lbs.  Still very vivid in my memory as I had never really seen anything like it, before or since.