Chris long

Looking for reports on spring Striper run in my area

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I’m from SE Pa in lower bucks county. Yardley, Newtown, Morrisville, Langhorne, New Hope, Lambertville, Trenton are all VERY close to me as is the Delaware River. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can get reports of when The fish(Stripers) are starting to come up stream to spawn. Are there any particular websites for that alone. Also, when does the run usually start? I’m thinking right in the beginning of April? Also is there a chance it may start earlier due to the so Very Mild winter we have had. I would think water temps are above normal and will that prompt these fish to start earlier. Just trying to learn all I can. So any advice on sites and General Striper habits would be much appreciated.  I caught the bug this past Fall Striper season and man I can’t get rid of it, nor do I want to. Again just looking to learn about them and their movements. Thanks a lot for any help. 
cL 

Well I’ll say this. I live along the Delaware River in Claymont, DE. 
there is a place right upstream of the port of Wilmington that I consistently get keeper Bass in mid March. The Commodore Barry Bridge is about 5 miles north of there so you might figure out a timeline from this. 
No one is ever fishing and usually they shut down the fishery north of the C&D Canal in April. Some other sharpies that might not be on this site fish there also. After reading his reports years ago I got enough clues to figure it out as I only live about 5-7 miles from there. 

striper go well up into ny via delaware river.  never fished it, but bristol pa is top water primo.  watch noaa water temps, they spawn off the temp, i think 55-62

I run the big D year round, and most of the time if your chasing reports then you missed your chance.  April is a good time to start around 50 + temps.  I don't know if you are land based or boat.  By boat you will have a lot of ground to fish so no worries, but if by foot like I am it's very competitive around here.  I see most guys running between April-June.  Put in your time and schmooze up a local B&T.  You can get a little info there.  Although nothing beats time on the water.  

Just a caveat my friend.  Be very careful what you say on the web.  You could get blacklisted in a second when reporting about the river.  Maybe not by SOL, but definatley by local guys.  Your car and gear could be at risk if you can't keep a tight lip.  I have seen it happen, so remember this river has limited fish that move up and C&R is a must during the spawn.  Tight lines 

River Commando, if you are talking about me I appreciate the advise and clearly understand. 
I’m not worried about other fisherman, I only know of one other that fishes here,  because most don’t have the balls to fish this location, even in the daylight. It’s a nighttime fishing spot and only the most undesirable creatures are out at the hours I go. 
Slink in only with a rod and a few floating minnows at the right tide and you have 10-30 pounders at your feet. 
The run actually starts well before most start fishing. By the time you hear most reports it’s past April 1st and the season closes in Delaware. 

It's all good Surfman.  I was speaking to the OP and anyone else who would listen.  If you wanna be somewhat specific send the OP a pm.  Posting specifics here will bring out the idiots and make people smart without having to earn it.  Tight lines boys.  I do like your style though.  Ghosting into a spot is Always the best.

20 hours ago, Chris long said:

I’m from SE Pa in lower bucks county. Yardley, Newtown, Morrisville, Langhorne, New Hope, Lambertville, Trenton are all VERY close to me as is the Delaware River. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can get reports of when The fish(Stripers) are starting to come up stream to spawn. Are there any particular websites for that alone. Also, when does the run usually start? I’m thinking right in the beginning of April? Also is there a chance it may start earlier due to the so Very Mild winter we have had. I would think water temps are above normal and will that prompt these fish to start earlier. Just trying to learn all I can. So any advice on sites and General Striper habits would be much appreciated.  I caught the bug this past Fall Striper season and man I can’t get rid of it, nor do I want to. Again just looking to learn about them and their movements. Thanks a lot for any help. 
cL 

Start going now! I C&R as early as the first week in March in NY in a similar tidal river. Around 45 degrees water temps they start to show in my area. By the time they arrive way north to spawn the water is 60-68 degrees

When live lining herring was allowed 2or 3 guys could get over 10 fish a day. Now live eels are a good bet. There are a certain amount of stripers that stay all year in the river. There are some nice plugging spots on the PA. Side. Release all fish of course.