iphish

Buying a pricey item online from a stranger question

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Buying a pricey $$$$ item online from a stranger...... what sort of precautions did you take? what sort of payment method did you use? was there any tact you used to determine if he/she was legit?

I believe there are some bad people, I also believe there are some legit people.

BTW meeting face to face is impractical, they are in California. The correspondence I have had FROM him has been professional, articulated, personal and polite, hes provided his cell number.   

Thoughts and experiences?

I've done it a couple of times through E-bay. Everything worked out just fine, but I made sure that the guy had 100% positive feedback. Plus I paid by credit card, so there was a fall back, just in case.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Its not a "site" its a private seller of a very rare item. He was selling a couple of other items on Craigslist that caught my eye. I was mildly interested in, but not for his asking price. The deal was dead, our conversation continued but in a different direction.

The item that later came up in conversation is a golf club, an old one, a club that only 500 were made, each were marked 1-500...The Japanese have bought most of them but periodically they turn up. In this case the gentleman's father who also collected antique clubs passed away. 

I'm a collector, the price is 1500 its in fair condition

Edited by iphish

9 mins ago, MakoMike said:

I've done it a couple of times through E-bay. Everything worked out just fine, but I made sure that the guy had 100% positive feedback. Plus I paid by credit card, so there was a fall back, just in case.

Yeah ebay would be an entirely different story and of course feedback helps.  Im wondering if Paypal would help matters if it was delivered in a non ebay transaction, ill have to look

1 min ago, iphish said:

Yeah ebay would be an entirely different story and of course feedback helps.  Im wondering if Paypal would help matters if it was delivered in a non ebay transaction, ill have to look

Well if you do use PayPal do it via a linked credit card, that way you have two layers of protection.

2 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Well if you do use PayPal do it via a linked credit card, that way you have two layers of protection.

I have a Paypal card too. as well as an account.

1 min ago, HopHead said:

I have 3 peeps in Cali that I would trust with my kid. What city is the seller in?

San Diego

6 mins ago, nightfighter said:

Could you use a PGA professional to act as middle man and confirm it is what it is being presented as? Like an FFL in firearms transaction.

I thought about that but I am quite certain what he has is real.....its the sending of the money part I'm concerned with.

I would think someone here must have bought concert, sporting events tickets online, not from stub hub etc

I've done a lot of craiglist transactions, but always in person. 

Paypal will offer you protection in the event there's a dispute. They side with the buyer a very large percentage of the time.