Soft plastic recommendations

R.R. Bridge Fisher

Hey all, I am trying something new this year. I want a floating soft plastic to tip these jigs with.  I am thinking 4 or 5 inches.

I will dress these with some bucktail and want something like maybe a zman or? Also scented is also a want.

Can you guys point me in the right direction???

Thanks group

20200216_133448.jpg

20200216_132103.jpg

20200216_125114.jpg

troll #122  <*)))<

3 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

They are 1.7 ounces, they will be used for saltwater but I am looking for a floating freshwater plastic to tip them with. I was thinking of z man 

I think that zman is the only floating bait. You could try the streakz or diesel minnows. It’s going to be tough to get the bait to stay on that jig with that type of color though. You really want a jig with a pointy barb to hold the elaztech baits on. 

Do any of the above plastics actually float? Most suspend, and will eventually sink. I doubt they have enough float in them to hold a 1.5oz jig head up off the bottom. What you might get is a slower fall to the bottom.
If you’re going to use a lot of whatever bait you choose consider pouring your own.

That way you can make it as floaty as you want it

2 hours ago, z-man said:

I think that zman is the only floating bait. You could try the streakz or diesel minnows. It’s going to be tough to get the bait to stay on that jig with that type of color though. You really want a jig with a pointy barb to hold the elaztech baits on. 

I think i did read zman has floating products.not sure i understand what you mean about jig color , I am looking to put it on the hook and have the barb hold it on...

2 hours ago, The TideRunner said:

Do any of the above plastics actually float? Most suspend, and will eventually sink. I doubt they have enough float in them to hold a 1.5oz jig head up off the bottom. What you might get is a slower fall to the bottom.
If you’re going to use a lot of whatever bait you choose consider pouring your own.

That way you can make it as floaty as you want it

These jigs sit on the bottom like this and im thinking a floating worm will make an easy target for the fish.

20200216_133448.jpg

troll #122  <*)))<

6 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I think i did read zman has floating products.not sure i understand what you mean about jig color , I am looking to put it on the hook and have the barb hold it on...

These jigs sit on the bottom like this and im thinking a floating worm will make an easy target for the fish.

My guess is the Zman Jerkshadz and similar 5"+ Zman baits will achieve your desired results, they have very high buoyancy. Previous poster meant to say "collar" I'm sure...if going with zman, I would consider supergluing it to the jighead...it'll last the life of the jig unless you're dealing with blues. 

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

My guess is the Zman Jerkshadz and similar 5"+ Zman baits will achieve your desired results, they have very high buoyancy. Previous poster meant to say "collar" I'm sure...if going with zman, I would consider supergluing it to the jighead...it'll last the life of the jig unless you're dealing with blues. 

Yes, i will check them out, i should have said the collar will have bucktail tied onto it. 

Thanks all

troll #122  <*)))<

Strike King Glass Minnows are Elaztech too. But, Z Man makes many more options and shoot, probably makes the Glass Minnows for SK as well.

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

Z man plastics are buoyant, because of the type of plastic. There are other plastics that float, but they do so because of an additive in the plastic. There may also be some brands with some type of air pocket molded in, that would cause them to float. I seem to recall seeing something like that, but don't remember what the brand may have been ( or if still being made). 

Some plastic brands have what they call "floater worms". They're usually a regular type of worm, not a curl or ribbontail. In short versions, it's doubtful they would cause a jig that heavy to stand up off the bottom. A long worm at least 6", the tail end might float up depending on how the jig ends up sitting on the bottom. Otherwise, if the jig is fished with a retrieve that imparts movement to it, again doubtful it's going to do much for the plastic used, because it's intended to float using that heavy jig. 

Floating type plastics are normally used in a finesse manner, with just enough weight to get them on the bottom or with a rig like  Carolina Rig so that they can rise up in the water with the weight used on the bottom. 

Zman has a 7" Floating Wormz, which might be the best choice for what you want to do. 

I’ll have to look into more of the zman stuff. I only use the Ned rig stuff.  I do pour my own worms and I make an 8” ribbon tail that floats high. But as JimH mentioned I use an additive to make it float 

20 years ago there were many more brands of floating worms on the market. I even used the air pocket ones but you had to wring them out every few casts or they’d sink