prican1

WTF!! Rumble with LIBBA & MSA

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Jeez!! Don't we have enough crap to deal with just keeping beach access! Now you got 2 great organizations personal bullsh%t getting in the way!! Can't we all just have fun and fish, unbelievable...:dismay: Next thing you know your truck will be vandalized for having a LIBBA or a Montauk Surfcasters Association plates!! I'm screwed because I have both!! LOL! Not cool letting everybody think we can't get our sh%t together here on the Island, ok I'm done ranting, who's next??

Edited by prican1

For those that don’t know what this thread is all about, MSA sent an email a few days ago that stated:

To our Members, Friends and Associates: 

It has come to our attention that there have been a lot of questions concerning some of the recent actions taken by the MSA Executive Board regarding the membership status of several individuals, mainly the 21 LIBBA Board Directors. 

The MSA Executive Board has opted not to renew the memberships of LIBBA Board Members at this time due to an antagonistic relationship stemming from several LIBBA Board Members. This antagonistic relationship from such LIBBA Board Members includes but is not limited to various threats, public insults, private harassment and slander, as well as collusion by certain members that wished to take over the organization for their own goals.  MSA finds this abhorrent behavior unethical and most certainly unacceptable. These actions though taken by a small group was met by complacency of the full LIBBA Board, thus guilty 
through association. 

The MSA Executive Board through fulfilling our mission statement of access for fishermen, feels that LIBBA has strayed from their mission statement in terms of "access for all". This legacy position of fisherman’s access,
is one that was enforced passionately by past MSA President and LIBBA Board Member Willy Young and one that we seek to always continue to work for: Fishing Access in all forms.

We encourage and support our members to join and support all causes they feel passionately  about and will never discourage or discriminate any member based on other organizations that they choose to participate in.  

MSA regularly works in connection with the New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing in a fruitful working relationship. 

MSA values its members and does not wish to see any member need to "take sides". 

We will always seek to work with other organizations which share similar views for fishermen and fishing conservation now and in the future. 

We are always open to discussing differences of ideology with other organizations for the access of fishing and conservation.

Regards,
The MSA Executive Board

Edited by Al_Dente

From what I can tell, LIBBA is actively trying to expand its membership to include surfers, campers, etc. and not just fishermen.  MSA remains a traditional surfcasters' organization,  User-groiup conflicts, or at least conflicts between persons who belong to different user groups, are raising their heads.

6 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Waiting for Larry to share his inputs.

Larry's been promoted to Warchief! Demolitions expert in Cambodia, Iran and Shagwong! :D

For those who know me you know I support both organizations, I have been treasurer for LIBBA since 2001, and a past vice president, and have been a participating MSA member since 1986. I am also the Treasurer for the NYCRF, having been asked originally by its President Willy Young to serve that organization, and continue to serve it as treasurer under its current President, Ross Squire. At this point it is my wish and desire to see that the differences between the two organizations be worked out, this for the benefit of the entire community. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Larry.

24 mins ago, lisurf2 said:

For those who know me you know I support both organizations, I have been treasurer for LIBBA since 2001, and a past vice president, and have been a participating MSA member since 1986. I am also the Treasurer for the NYCRF, having been asked originally by its President Willy Young to serve that organization, and continue to serve it as treasurer under its current President, Ross Squire. At this point it is my wish and desire to see that the differences between the two organizations be worked out, this for the benefit of the entire community. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Larry.

Access is very important to the surfcasting community on long island.  Maintain and new access is needed.  I also wish to see that the differences between both organizations can be resolved quickly,  I believe it will not take long.

Lets get back to business.

12 hours ago, CWitek said:

From what I can tell, LIBBA is actively trying to expand its membership to include surfers, campers, etc. and not just fishermen.  MSA remains a traditional surfcasters' organization,  User-groiup conflicts, or at least conflicts between persons who belong to different user groups, are raising their heads.

Centuries Old Tactic ...."Divide & Conquer"...

Best to find a common beneficial purpose/goal that unites....instead of individual personal interest agendas that divide...

Have to reinforce the ideology  that ....50% of something is infinitely more rewarding that 100% of NOTHING!!!

Edited by Tharsheblows

10 hours ago, Tharsheblows said:

Centuries Old Tactic ...."Divide & Conquer"...

Best to find a common beneficial purpose/goal that unites....instead of individual personal interest agendas that divide...

Have to reinforce the ideology  that ....50% of something is infinitely more rewarding that 100% of NOTHING!!!

I can argue both sides of the question.

Yes, expanding your tent can bring in more people, which can theoretically exert more political influence.  On the other hand, too many persons with too many points of view can cause mission creep and dull the focus oif the organization, as it tries to please all constituencies and ends up compromising on everythinhg and pleasing no one..

Not too many years ago, I saw both things happen within the same organization.  I was heavily involved with an angler-based conservation group here in New York.  At one point, we were having preliminary conversations about holding a light-tackle catch and release tournament at Montauk; it didn't take long for a schism to erupt, as some of our surfcasters begain airing their grievances against the light-tackle boats that came too close to the beach while chasing pods of blitzing fish.  A couple of years later, some of our west end members initiated a successful light tackle tournament as a Manhattan-based fundraiser.  But that ran into deep problems after the tournament folks started arguing that we should stop being so involved in fisheries issues, which was the whole point of the organization, and instead concentrate on things like beach clean-ups and children's fishing clinics, because "conservation is controversial" and our activism was costing the toiurnament sponsorships and probably participation.

There are reasons that I will never take a leadership role in any anglers' organization again.

The people who do take such leadership roles can only do what they think is right, taking the views of the membership into consideration.  Some are going to come to different conclusions than others.  The best we can hope for is that everyone respects others' choices, and finds a way to get along.

Edited by CWitek