fishnbear

Anything New You'll Try This Year ?

52 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

New rod, reel, lure/soft plastic, technique, new spot you're looking forward to trying out ?

I want to play around with swim jigs/trailers more this year especially since my go to spots are crazy weedy by late spring. I also found an access/launch I never knew existed to a pond I fished as a kid that's mostly surrounded by private property.

Edited by fishnbear

This year, I am planning on doing more drop-shotting I think.  Will also use more live bait and will be traveling to try some locations I have not fished before.

So, if anyone here would be willing to have a guest, PM me...

Big baits in the 1 ounce range.

SS poppers, SP minnows, little darters..... that kind of thing.

I may not catch many but if I do.....

I bought a new Rod/Reel last week, tried it out Shad fishing this past Sunday afternoon - think I’m going to like this lightweight set-up.  Has a 6’-9” one piece Fenwick HMG ML/FS rod with a Daiwa BG2000 reel.  I put 145 yards of 10 lbs. PowerPro Super Slick V2 braid on it and tied on a 10 lbs. Trilene mono leader.  I fished with it on the Trent River for two hours using a variety of flutter spoons, jig head grubs, wake baits, and topwater lures - very nice action, casts great and most importantly no wrist pain from two hours of casting and retrieving.  Got skunked but it is still a bit early for the Shad run (I want to be there when it starts!).  OH

EE1C1673-549A-4CD6-B209-790FB1190BF7.jpeg

D0551EC6-B50F-4BAA-8FC3-7AB3C0D53D3E.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I try to add a few new ponds/lakes/streams to my "to do" list every year. Prospecting new water keeps things interesting.  I will mostly keep to my proven lures/techniques though.  Maybe even downsize more to a selection that I'm actually inclined to use more than once a season. No point throwing 50+ years of learning down the tube. 

Edited by WeeHooker

New spots, new spot, new spost!!!! Really looking to change up some of my regular spots even if only prospecting, new locations can be so much fun. Also trying some lures that I wasn't overly confident in with different retrieval techniques. Cannot freaking wait.  

I finally purchased a FF with side scan for my car top boat.

I look forward to learning how to use it this season and learning more about the structure on the lakes I fish.

I found out these weird looking fruits down at the river are actually Paw-Paws and I’m gonna eat one!!

I also plan to be all over the flathead spawn!

Going to work on my deep water game. I catch 99% of my bass in less than 10ft of water. So that means more C-rig dragging, bifflehead / heavy jig dragging, blade baits, and drop shotting.

Going to try to Target some new less common species in my state, such as bowfin

Also going to invest a little more time in pike fishing