Better reel for your hard-earned MONEY Daiwa BG vs. Stradic FL

Rate this topic

Slowwwride

On 2/20/2020 at 10:11 AM, bmac said:

FL vs. BG = Winner: FL.  But if you're in for a $200 Stradic FL, then why not spring an extra $30 for a Daiwa Ballistic?  Fish both and tell me which is the Ferrari.  The Ballistic is like the Stradic CI4, only better.  If your budget is limited, the BG is a heck of a deal.  Like previous poster said, you can buy 2 BGs for the price of a Stradic. 

On 2/19/2020 at 1:22 PM, Jbh92885 said:

That a Lotus (not a Ferrari) vs a Ford pickup truck,   Go with the Stradic if you have the extra cash and you'll take care of her.

So I have this "good" problem ... of sizing a reel to a new rod. The rod is an ODM DNA 82 (8ft long & handles lures up to 2oz). It's a nice rod, and fairly light (8.1 oz). I was toggling between a Penn SSVI 4500 (12oz.) and the Stradic FL (10oz.) (Ford vs. Ferrrari) as to what to put on it / fish.

Test casted the rod yesterday. It really rocks a 1.5oz metal (I'm thinking Albies). But as nice as the Penn SSVI 4500 was on the rod ... The Shimano Stradic FL 5K gets the nod ... because on that mini-me surf casting rod it's just that much lighter & cast just that much farther ... while being all so smooth!

Yeah ... just say NO to sand intrusion. But the incredible lightness of being / spin fishing seems well worth the needed extra care.

9B4023D7-8688-4262-A2DC-E716C5E1490D_1_105_c.jpeg.993ca24c73bf450a0407af5614ca90c9.jpeg

RockfishOn!! :cool:

On 2/16/2020 at 3:33 PM, scoobydoo said:

I don't know about the 5k...never handled one....BUt 11 ounces for the 6k....it's the same size as my old saltiga 4k almost saragossa sized......

Allowing for a larger frame, drivetrain, spool, and handle....which is a a big plus.

6k ballistic is a unique standout in the spinning reel on the market.

I pair it with an 11 footer all the way down to a 7' lami

The Ballistic LT 6000 has a listed line retrieve of 26”—a big drop down from the 5000 at 34.5” Not a big deal when fishing slow with bucktails, needles, metal-lips, etc., I would think. But a problem in other surf applications? 

Also curious how the Ballistic is holding up for you in the surf (where I assume you’re using that 11’ for).

Or are you using bigger (and heavier) sealed reels when splashing/dunking likely?

(And I saw your post about the seized Theory...that a concern for Ballistic LT?)

Edited by MontclairDave
This and that

• 1 month later...

I have a bg and a stradic fk not the fl. And there both amazing of course the bg is cheaper and i can buy 2 for the price of 1. But since i take care of them both i feel like the stradic is for one lighter, and maintains its "smoothness" overall better than a bg. If you dont sweat the small things a bg is ok! If weigth, performance and style then the stradic is pretty! ;D Again ive own both and i would keep them both!

7 hours ago, Heartcrusher said:

I have a bg and a stradic fk not the fl. And there both amazing of course the bg is cheaper and i can buy 2 for the price of 1. But since i take care of them both i feel like the stradic is for one lighter, and maintains its "smoothness" overall better than a bg. If you dont sweat the small things a bg is ok! If weigth, performance and style then the stradic is pretty! ;D Again ive own both and i would keep them both!

I also own both reels and I agree.  The stradic is definitely a smoother sexier reel.  If the question is “which reel is better?” I’d take the stradic.  When you compare the prices though I would definitely rather own two BGs than one stradic

My 4500 BG has been a well spent $80 brand new. I do own a stradic but it's a FK 2500 for $130? It's been a really pleasant reel to use as it feels really smooth. However I have my eyes on the ballistic as everyone is mentioning, it does seem like a really for reel for the money with the extra sealing and light weight compared to my bg.