Slowwwride

Better reel for your hard-earned MONEY Daiwa BG vs. Stradic FL

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

12 mins ago, Mack26 said:

There’s at least a $100 difference between the two, but i own both, and the FL is hands down a better reel IMO.

The sl is much smoother then the bg. The bg is a work horse for the money but the stradic in my opinion is so much better. 

It obviously depends on how you want, or even need, to spend your hard earned money. I had a dilemma with these two reels a month or so ago. I was ready to upgrade my reel for an upcoming trout trip as well as follow up fishing for LMB and Smallies. I was either going to get one nice reel or two moderately priced reels as a primary and a backup (which is important for the trout trip). I went with two BG's to better serve my purposes, especially after already having had a larger BG for backbays and light surf. The Stradic FL is really nice, but I still can't get over how smooth the BG is as well as what you get for that price point. Two exceptional reels for less than the price of one worked perfectly for my situation. If I had been looking to splurge on one nice reel instead of getting two...I probably would have went with either the Stradic FL or the Daiwa Saltist.

I have no doubt the Stratic is a very refined  reel but I wouldn’t think it is a tougher reel than the SW BG nor would I think it will outlast the BG. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

If the size fits....FL

Bg's are the best 100$ reel hands down....

You should be looking at the Back bay vs FL as a better comparison.

Back bays are limited in size...and have  a cheaper street price...

I like the gearing of the back bay over the shimano.....That big beautifully finished main gear has caught tons of fish for me....and is essentially the same as the certate and exist.

Refinement between those two are about even.  Which is really impressive at the price.

I like everything about the shimanos at the price and over pertaining to opening the bail to cast and to closing the bail to start the retreive when compared to everything daiwa ... (I have every LT outside of the phantom and the new luvias)

I like the FL bail better than the exist lt.

From a self service and surf preventative maintenance standpoint.......if you think mag seal is a bitch......the new Shimano clutch is a alcoholic stepmother who never liked you.........

So a BG with a bit of attention at the top pinoin bearing which tends to die first if exposed to the salt...would be a great choice for the money.

I think you'll enjoy your time fishing the Stradic more than the others at the price......

And I think if you're at that price point.....Look at the ballistic LT.....The 6000 is probably the most impressive large spinner made......

If you want simple maintenance..... reliability.....and ruggedness.....while being pretty refined at the same time.... I think the Spinfisher is the best bang for the buck in the salt....I think it's Penn's best check all the boxes spinner to date.

Edited by scoobydoo

40 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

If the size fits....FL

Bg's are the best 100$ reel hands down....

You should be looking at the Back bay vs FL as a better comparison.

Back bays are limited in size...and have  a cheaper street price...

I like the gearing of the back bay over the shimano.....That big beautifully finished main gear has caught tons of fish for me....and is essentially the same as the certate and exist.

Refinement between those two are about even.  Which is really impressive at the price.

I like everything about the shimanos at the price and over pertaining to opening the bail to cast and to closing the bail to start the retreive when compared to everything daiwa ... (I have every LT outside of the phantom and the new luvias)

I like the FL bail better than the exist lt.

From a self service and surf preventative maintenance standpoint.......if you think mag seal is a bitch......the new Shimano clutch is a alcoholic stepmother who never liked you.........

So a BG with a bit of attention at the top pinoin bearing which tends to die first if exposed to the salt...would be a great choice for the money.

I think you'll enjoy your time fishing the Stradic more than the others at the price......

And I think if you're at that price point.....Look at the ballistic LT.....The 6000 is probably the most impressive large spinner made......

If you want simple maintenance..... reliability.....and ruggedness.....while being pretty refined at the same time.... I think the Spinfisher is the best bang for the buck in the salt....I think it's Penn's best check all the boxes spinner to date.

At street price $165 for Back Bay 4000 vs $225 for the Ballistic LT 5000, which I think is the comparable size, what more are you getting for the extra $60 that makes the LT worth consideration? 

32 mins ago, MontclairDave said:

At street price $165 for Back Bay 4000 vs $225 for the Ballistic LT 5000, which I think is the comparable size, what more are you getting for the extra $60 that makes the LT worth consideration? 

I don't know about the 5k...never handled one....BUt 11 ounces for the 6k....it's the same size as my old saltiga 4k almost saragossa sized......

Allowing for a larger frame, drivetrain, spool, and handle....which is a a big plus.

6k ballistic is a unique standout in the spinning reel on the market.

I pair it with an 11 footer all the way down to a 7' lami

5k ballistic is bigger than the 4k back bay....... Ballistics are the baddest carbon frame reel on the market for the price if you ask me. I've got an old 3k and a new 6k, been good to me.

If you follow my posts you already know I'm a Stradic FK owner and a fanboy. But I am putting together a new setup and wanted to hear opinions as I haven't purchased the FL yet. The BG is nice for the money. My Fks are my favorite reels including over my VS which sacrifices smootheness for rugged reliability.

If you had 250 in hand would you buy the FL or the BG for SW fishing from the bank but with minimal SW intrusion. Let's say 4000ish size 

3 mins ago, Slowwwride said:

If you had 250 in hand would you buy the FL or the BG for SW fishing from the bank but with minimal SW intrusion. Let's say 4000ish size 

Depends if I wanted to splurge or have some extra cash in hand for some other things...rod, another reel, etc. If I have $250 set aside for a reel only, with your parameters, I'd treat myself and get either the Stradic FL or a Daiwa Back Bay, Saltist, or Ballistic.