the truth hurts

Headed for the OBX in March

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

so I'm Headed for the OBX in March. Will probably stay in the Buxton, Hatteras though Okrackoke area.

What do I need?

What 4X4 pass?

What fish should I be targeting?

I usually fish Long Island, so that means Blues and Strippers.

I know nothing about Red Drum etc.

Thanks in advance.

NC ORV Permit (google it) & NC fishing license. Beach buggy equip. (shovel, tow strap, etc)

12' rod with mono only if you are fishing the point in Buxton. 95% is chunking for drum or blues but sharks and cobia are also possibilities. Good luck with the strippers ;-)

10-11' with fast retrieve reel if you are targeting spanish. 

8-9' with fluke rigs assuming they reopen flounder.

Check some of the OBX sites like the Red Drum, TWs, Hatteras Jacks, etc... when it gets closer to your trip to see who is catching what. 

Depending on conditions you might try some of the piers. 

BTW Ocracoke is a 45 min - hour ferry ride from Hatteras. 

The wind tends to be pretty brisk down there that time of year causing blowing sand.

(that constant wind is one of the reason the Wright brothers went there in the winter with there experiment).

I wear sunglasses that have an inside liner to keep sand out.  search Amazon for wind and dust protection sun glasses.

we have gone as early as late march, early April.  The temps were nice, but the blowing sand drove my Wife off the beach.

most years I do May-October.  in the fall the wind starts to pick up again.

depending on what time your there in March, there may be additional areas open for you to go with your 4wd permit (and maybe night time).  But read up on how to drive on OBX sand, its different than other beaches up north.

Since OBX sand is the only sand I've ever driven on (for forty plus years) and we have all types from soft windblown to harder packed to large shell fragments. I figured everyone carried a shovel, tow strap and recovery boards.  Is northern sand different?

I have only been on OBX sand myself.  I do know in FL you can take Motorhomes out on the beach.  I think I have heard of 2wd on Delmarva beaches and not sure about north of there.  in OBX I feel Its the roads that provide access to beach that can be tough, and that last 100 yards from road to tide line.

and then you have the ID-10-t's.

J7WVF7KRUBCFXBXGGHYGBOP5YQ.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m heading out there in March myself.  I’ve been numerous times in April, but never in March.  In addition to what others have said- the water will be much too cool for Spanish.  My guess would be blues, red drum, maybe black drum?  Carry a heaver for casting “8 and bait,” and something a little lighter for a two hook bottom rig.  One more thing to be aware of are sharks near Cape Point.  Spinners, sand tigers, sandbars, etc. can really mess up your gear.  On the plus side those rascals are fun to try to get to the beach even if you just release them.  Air your tires down to about 20psi before you get on the beach.  Have fun and save some fish for me.  

Edited by johnbull

I may down there in the same time frame, to early for Spanish and Cobia. Lots of sharks, drum a possibility. Work and weather dependent, I'll start making the ride down there on weekends when it warms up a bit more. 4wd pass for sure, I normally keep boards and a shovel or two in the truck just for good measure no matter where I'm driving. Beach toes are way to expensive. Not sure about beach closures, Jollymon or one of the other members may know a bit more, can always check NPS website.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Based on my experience with April, you won't have to worry about seasonal beach closures because of birds.  You'll be able to drive on the beaches in front of the villages as well.  Pretty much all the normal routes will be open 24 hrs a day I think.  You'll want to look at the NPS website to see where the actual ORV routes are though, there are some stretches of beach that are vehicle free all the time.  One thing to be aware of is the shape of the beach itself.  It's pretty normal over the winter for a pretty big "ledge" to develop on the beaches, where you've got a sheer ledge or drop-off of 2-3 feet on the beach.  It might ruin your trip to go over one of them in your vehicle.

Edited by johnbull

It's been a relatively mild winter so spring fishing may get off to an early start in late March early April if this weather holds up. I would think bluefish and black drum and occasional red drum would be most likely. Cant help you with the "strippers"...dont know of any night clubs down there.

Firming up plans for two weeks starting last week of March. South winds are probably the best but I will take any direction as long as it is not blowing too hard.

If any of you guys are around I would love to meet up and buy you a cup of coffee. Its nice to put a face to the name. I will be staying in the Avon area.................Ghost